“Very Pleasantly Surprised!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Chilliwack BC
“Very Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

We were very happy with our stay at this hotel. We were given a 3rd floor, non-smoking, queen bed room. The room was very clean and spacious by the standards of most budget hotels we've stayed in. The air conditioner was quiet and kept our room cool during the intense, record-breaking, heat-wave that the Northwest was experiencing. The continental breakfast included in the price was more than adequate. Toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, hard-boiled eggs as well as milk, juice, coffee, and tea were on offer. Check-in and check-out were quick, pleasant and efficient. We didn't use the pool as we'd forgotten our swimsuits but it looked clean and inviting. Once the pool closed at 10 p.m. all was quiet. We were within easy walking distance of a Denny's and Shari's restaurant and noted other restaurants nearby as well as the Bellis Fair Mall. We could not have been happier with our stay and the value was absolutely terrific!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

This is a nice, clean, convenient place close to the airport. It also has a pool and hot tub. The check in was fast and easy. The wi-fi worked well when close to the lobby, but not in the room. Our room was large, clean, with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker. Trader Joes is close, too.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Northwest Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

I often stay in Bellingham, and although I usually stay at the nearby La Quinta, I thought I'd give this hotel a try after their recent rebranding as an Econo Lodge. The rate was around $50.00, and after reading the other reviews posted here I figured I'd have nothing to lose. What a mistake!

My check-in was fine, and I found my room in reasonable condition for a $50 a night hotel. From that point on, my stay was hellish.

I had requested a non-smoking room, but the adjacent room was occupied by a smoker who stood outside right next to the air intake for my room, so my room was filled with smoke on my arrival and he continued to stand in the same spot puffing away most of the evening.

As I was unloading my car, I noticed two people sitting in a nearby wreck of a car, complete with a garbage bag taped over one missing window. They were watching me intently and I felt concerned for the safety of my car. I peered outside through a crack in the curtains a few times and each time they flashed their headlights at me and honked their horn.

About 10 p.m., a tour bus pulled in and disgorged a full load of boisterous, noisy tourists who spent a couple of hours getting checked in and settled in their rooms. That same load of tourists left around 7 the next morning with lots of shouting, slamming doors, and general rowdiness.

The building is old, and the insulation is poor. The occupants of the room directly above me sounded like a herd of buffalo trampling around until almost midnight, and they began the same racket again at around 4 a.m.

On the opposite side of me from the smoker, the occupants of that room checked in at 11 p.m. with lots of loud talking, slamming of room and car doors and general commotion. I could hear sounds of angry voices and shouting that continued all night, and about every half hour their room door would open with a creak that would rival any haunted house, then slam closed. I suspect they were either selling drugs or sex with all the traffic in and out of their room all night.

I didn't bother checking out the breakfast area in the morning -- I couldn't wait to get out of there. I did not sleep more than a total of 30 minutes the entire night, and my clothes reeked of smoke thanks to my next-door neighbor's thoughtlessness.

I had originally planned a two-night stay here, but I cancelled the second night and went back to the La Quinta for a good night's sleep, a quiet and safe environment, and a generous breakfast buffet. I will never stay at the Bellingham Econo Lodge again.

• Liked — Cheap price
  • Disliked — Absolutely no sleep all night due to unceasing noise
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Econolodge228, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
We are truly sorry that this guest had an unsatisfactory stay. Had we been given the opportunity to remedy some issues, any guest would have found us most accommodating.
Our goal at the Econolodge in Bellingham is to provide comfortable, affordable accommodation, with excellent guest service and a positive experience overall.
In any busy hotel, there may be any number of late arrivals and people may not realize how loud they are. Yes, this disturbs sound sensitive guests. If the front desk is informed, we make every attempt to control the situation.
I don't know how to address the tour bus complaint. There was no grop of tourists. The bus driver is a regular client and the bus was empty.
I can assure future guests that we are addressing the concerns of this guest.
Portland Or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

I happend to run into this place as I was tired, looking for a place to crash off the road. When I stopped to ask the prices I was sort of shocked. $50 for a room. I was sold on price alone, but I was even more suprised to find that the room itself was nice, clean and really brand new looking. It also had a fridge and microwave. So my sleep was good too, I think it was a new mattress. And in the end as I was checking out there was a breakfast in the lobby for the guest and a Sunday paper. I had asked the clerk if there was a charge, she replyed with a smile "help yourself it's all complimentary." Wow, even better. So I finally left back on the road but there was something about that hotel that left me very satisfied and pleased with the rest of my day.

• Liked — The price you pay for everything you get
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

I travel to Bellingham very often on business and always look for comfort and good price as well as good location. EconoLodge meets all my needs perfectly.
At the price they offer, it would be silly to expect a upscale hotel.
However, I find that rooms I stay are clean and comfortable and has Microwave, Mini-Fridge and coffeemaker at no extra charge.
All staff are very friendly and professional and price is excellent!
You absolutely get more than your money's worth.
I will be going up to Bellingham soon and you will find me at EconoLodge.

• Liked — Price & staff
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

My friend and I recently stayed (Nov. 26 and 27) at Econo Lodge located in Meridian St., Bellingham, WA. This is a great place to stay when you consider budget, location, comfort and accessibility. The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. In fact, I nominated the general manager, Kit Koch, for an award for excellence in customer service. The room was clean and comfortable. This hotel is highly recommended. Thanks.

• Liked — hotel staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver/Coquitlam British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

6 women friends booked 2 rooms (each room with 2 queen beds and a rollaway) for 2 nights-Check in Nov 27, and Check out Nov 29, 2008, for post Thanks Giving shopping at the local mall in Bellingham Washington.

Upon arrival, we were told that the hotel did not have record of us requesting a rollaway in each room, and that the only 2 rollaway beds the hotel owned were spoken for by other guests.

We asked to speak to the Manager later in the afternoon, but were told that she (Kit) was at other hotels in the area, searching out 'borrowing' rollaway beds. We found this hard to believe, because simple phone calls could accomplish the same thing, AND it was Thanks Giving evening. Couldn't believe they actually thought we'd buy into that fib. 'Kit' was likely enjoying turkey dinner instead.

We were told that no other rollaway beds were obtainable, so we asked for other solutions, namely, provide a 3rd room at no charge for 1 night, after all, the hard cost of this would have simply been a maid's time for 1/2 hour or so the next day, plus the cost of laundering a set of sheets. ($20 max!) We were basically told that we must not have reserved the rollaways, otherwise, it would have been noted on our reservation, but even if we did reserve them, the hotel only has 2, so there is no guarantee that we would get them anyway.

We were told that they would give us a 3rd room, but it would be at full charge less a whopping $5!!! We advised that we would be seeking alternate accommodation, but were told that if we checked out, we would be charged for our rooms anyway. This is extortion! So let us review....We booked rooms with rollaways that did not materialize, the hotel would not provide a 3rd room in compensation, AND if we opted for a different hotel, we would be charged for our room anyway. Wow, what a low level of service. It was impossible to talk to the elusive Manager. All communication was filtered by the unfortunate hotel clerk between us at the front desk, and the manager via phone.

We bit the bullet and doubled up in beds for the night. The next morning, we shopped all day, only to return in the early afternoon to discover that 1 of our rooms had items stolen. We're not talking about expensive jewels here. We're talking about 2 lb bricks of cheese from our mini-fridge. We reported this to the front desk, and finally met the elusive Manager, Kit, who hinted that we had either mistakenly lost our cheese, eaten the cheese, or didn't purchase it to begin with. It was absolutely bizarre! Her other excuse was that perhaps the housekeeping staff assumed we had check out, so took the cheese. (In fact, our luggage, cosmetics, wine, snacks etc were all in the room, so it would be impossible for someone to think we had checked out).

I will forego more detail, you are probably laughing aloud by now, but after obtaining a degree in hotel management, working in the industry for several years, and staying in a myriad of hotels from 5 star to simple road-side motels, I have never experienced anything as bizarre as this place. The Manager, Kit, advised me that she was very sorry, but her job is to protect revenue for the owners, so there was nothing she could do.

We will never stay at this place, or anything connected to Econo Lodges again. Furthermore, we will advise people of our experience.

Bottom Line: DON'T STAY HERE - SLEEP IN YOUR CAR!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Unfulfilled requests and being treated like nobody
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Econolodge228, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham, responded to this review, January 29, 2009
The staff and management of the Econolodge Inn & Suites did their best to accommodate this party of 6 women by reimbursing them for their inconvenience and issuing a full refund for the misplaced items.
Thank you.

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham? Share your experiences!