“For Budget Travel This Is As Good As It Gets!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Portland
“For Budget Travel This Is As Good As It Gets!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here a couple weeks ago for a couple of nights. First, let me say that we have definitely stayed in nicer places BUT for the very low advanced rate we paid, this would be as good as it gets.

Let's start with the good. We were located in the alcove area of the building and had no trouble with noise from anything whatsoever. The room seemed overall very clean and reasonably updated. I didn't even mind walking barefoot on the carpet which is pretty rare. Usually, no matter how clean the carpet may look, I can't get past feeling that it is dirty under my feet. It also smelled fresh and clean. I would say at least 70% of the time we need to air out a hotel room as we arrive because it smells stale or of old smoke, but this one smelled clean- YAYYYY!

The folks at the front desk were so nice and very helpful. We were in town for a tournament that starts very early and ends very late. It just so happened to be during a cold snap with temperatures under 20 degrees and high winds that would freeze you clean through just walking a few feet outside- COLD. One morning we had stopped in the lobby for hot drinks on our way to the tournament and then discovered when we arrived at our destination that we had left the computer in the lobby. I called the hotel right away and she looked through the lobby for me and when she didn't find it, she readily agreed to check the room for me when I asked. At the early hour she was probably not only alone, but busy AND I guarantee she froze her tush off getting to the room. Fortunately, it was still in the room as we had never taken it to begin with, but nonetheless her professionalism and friendly manner went a long way with me. She didn't act put out at all and saved me a long trip back to the hotel at a very inconvenient time.

A last favorable note on this welcoming place- upon arrival we were presented with a little snack bag for being a Choice Privileges member. It was just a little thing, but I have never received anything anywhere else so it was a memorable thing for sure.

I have little negative to say. There was an odd strip of metal attached to the wall in the corner that seemed as if it may be covering up something? It was painted to match the wall so wasn't awful, just weird. The bathtub had at one time been painted and had peeled off in areas showing a different color beneath it. The surface was smooth and I wouldn't have known if it weren't for the visual color difference. Lastly, I did notice that the box spring appeared pretty dirty looking, but the mattress itself looked good so I was able to mentally get past it.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again at all. Another reviewer mentioned paying well over double than we paid. Perhaps they rented more than one room? In any case, all and all this was a great place at a great price really.

Room Tip: Many have mentioned the rooms by the freeway being loud and I can see where they would be even thoug...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Econolodge228, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a complimentary letter. I am passing on your comments, knowing that it will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their efforts. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Bellingham

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We did an overnight trip to shop and use up rewards points that expire at year end, and quite frankly I wasn't expecting much from an Econolodge, which generally are older motel properties, with outdated furnishings and very basic accommodation.

This property is located on Meridian the main road a stones throw from Bellis Fair, and close to the highway ramps. It is set back from the road, and we found it to be quiet during the night.

The rooms have been well maintained and are very clean. The bed, furnishings and carpet were all clean and in good repair. Our room was the King suite, which has a couch, chair, and a large bed. The room (#200) was quite large. There is an elevator and there is ample parking. Our room overlooked the outside pool and hottub, with no noise as it was closed for the season.

The downsides: Room was particularly dry, and the pillows were uncomfortable for us.
The air conditioner / heating unit is loud if you choose to keep it on.

While our trip was a rewards night, the room rate on the choicehotel.com website showed rooms from 65.00, with our "suite" priced at $75.00. That is pretty good value for a decent place.

Note: In the event that you are in Bellingham and have not reserved in advance - pick up a copy ( in a display case outside many Bellinham restaurants, including Shari's) of the hotel discount coupons book - Econolodge was in there for $59.00 for a standard room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
What a glowing recommendation; we very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.
Seattle WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here while on business. Hotel has clean rooms and great if you are on a budget and need a quick stay. There is free breakfast in the lobby. Location had easy freeway access. Basic hotel. Ask for room on quiet side. Located next door to pub that's open late night for food so you can walk for a quick bite.

• Stayed December 2013
Econolodge228, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The rooms were pretty average and were clean. One member of our party broke his leg and the front desk staff was extremely accommodating with changing rooms to a ground floor. They also let us stay a little past check-out to accommodate our ride to the airport (granted, this was partly because it was off-season and they were not busy). They also offer discounts for hospital patients and family. The only complaint is that the road can be extremely busy and it becomes very difficult to get out of the driveway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Bellingham.
Eastsound, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stay here with some regularity and have always been happy. This time we requested a room for disabled. I was preparing for a colonoscopy and still recovering from total knee replacement. While the room was perfect I was chagrined to find that this room was located the absolute farthest from the front desk. Third floor, back of the facility. A very long walk if I had been on crutches or some other very inconvenient disability. Very poor location choice for such a room. I would have expected this room to be at the front of the facility on the first floor. No problem with the room itself though. .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Your observations have aided us in locating areas needing improvement. When the building was first designed, I believe they did not put much thought into the location of the handicapped rooms. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a satisfactory stay.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The staff were very friendly and accomodating, room was clean and well appointed, I would stay there again for sure. Very close to shopping, restaurants and very close to the highway which allowed easy access.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The rooms are basic hotel rooms. Nothing fancy but av great place to lay your head down after a long day of shopping. Its just a block from the big mall and many strip malls. There is a breakfast but its just Continental. If u are a big eater this isn't for you. Coffee, tea, juice, boiled eggs, bagels toast and muffins. Enough to get you started. Free WiFi was a bonus. Price isn't cheap but isn't crazy. It was about $118 after taxes. The staff was lovely. No showed amenities so bring shampoo and conditioner. Id stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us & writing a review! We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Bellingham. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay comfortable.

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham? Share your experiences!