“Acceptable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Monroe, Washington
“Acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Was looking for a mix of affordable yet a comfortable room. Needed pet friendly and traveling with a baby. All pet rooms are first level/ freeway side/ w exterior entrance. Road noise was better than we thought. Pandora helped take care of the road noise too. Heater did cycle on and off and is loud enough it did wake us up. Beds are comfortable. Fridge and micro great. Rooms are a little dated. Bathroom was clean. Housekeeping did a nice job refreshing the room. Carpet could use to have been replaced. Checking out we overheard housekeeping discussing shampooing carpets. Breakfast is better than expected... the automated pancake machine is a nice change to the typical waffles.

Room Tip: Ask for the side opposite of the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I like the location and price. The room was spotless, the staff was friendly and helpful. And to top it off the breakfast setup was absolutely terrific. We have stayed there a number of times and will defineately stay there again. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was a clean and tidy Motel and we were upgraded to a King size room from the Queen we had booked. It had a small seating /coffee table area in the room, coffee making facility and included WIFI. Generally very good value (not an outright bargain).
Breakfast was good. The wifi wasn't good!- painfully slow and not really up to the job, anything more than the most basic pages to ages to load. The pool and what i think was a hot tub are still closed in April (reasonable given the weather). The door was a little draughty requiring the fan heater to used regularly.
There is a bar nearby (next door) that serves food and the Mall, Cinema and various shops and restaurants a short drive away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I recently stayed at this location on a business trip and it was a clean hotel with friendly staff and also a great price. There also was a free breakfast and wi fi. It also has a great location off the I-5 freeway and located near many restaurants and stores to choose from including the city mall in walking distance..all easy to find near hotel.

Room Tip: stayed in a quiet room on the third floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We found this hotel to be clean and the staff friendly & accommodating. The breakfast was good and the location near everyplace we wanted to be. It wasn't fancy but the value was good. We don't often go to Bellingham, but we will stay at this Econolodge when we do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times and have always been happy with our experience. This time the hotel was booked to capacity and we were put in a dingy, first floor room facing the noisy freeway (I-5). We were happy to get out of there and did not even stay for breakfast although we did exit with a cup of coffee. However, staff were always courteous and made arrangements for a taxi to be at the hotel to transfer us to the airport. Staff at this hotel have always been friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Upon making my reservation and also at check in, I requested a quiet room. No partying guests near me, top floor (3rd) is fine. Room near the freeway? No problem--with a little imagination, the constant highway traffic can sound almost like the sound of the ocean on a beach.

They had plenty of occupancy available (per the clerk and my own observations). Instead, I got a 2nd floor room, with guests in the room above me...I could hear their heavy footsteps all night until they went to bed around midnight. Also, my "quiet room" was situated overlooking a late night sports bar parking lot--loud, drunk conversations, including a 3:00 AM conversation between two patrons standing outside one's car with the radio blaring and the door open. I finally went out on the cold balcony in my bath robe and told them to take their party elsewhere. But, by then I was wide awake at 3:00 AM.

I got very little sleep that night and losing my sleep disrupted one of my two planned meetings in Bellingham the following day, because I had to cancel the 2nd due to fatigue. I changed rooms the following day (more hassle). Because I was given a short window to make my room change (30 minutes), which included a level change from 2nd to 3rd, I inadvertently left some audio tapes in the first room but I did not notice until I was flying back home out of state.

Upon my return home, I called and front desk staff referred me to the manager, Kit, as she apparently keeps them under a tight managerial control and they are not permitted to make decisions like sending my tapes to me. One of the staff said she drives right by the post office, but "would not be permitted to do me the favor of mailing it for me via the P.O." due to the iron hand of Kit.

Per Kit, my only options would be to arrange for UPS or FedEx to ship my tapes to me ($27.00 to 35.00). Bear in mind that Bellingham has multiple Post offices and one is within a mile or two of the hotel. Kit would not budge and mail it for me, even though she could have put the cost on my credit card, plus I promised to pay a $5.00 tip (to anyone who would mail them for me).

Ultimately I had a relative of mine pass through Bellingham two weeks later and she agreed to stop by the motel and send it by US mail ($5.66 total cost). Bear in mind that the size of the package was equal to four decks of playing cards bound together, though much lighter.

If I had not had to change rooms, this never would have happened. But Kit disavowed ANY responsibility for it and apparently cared little about keeping a happy return customer. Also--when I first made my reservation, the price I was quoted was about 8 dollars less than when I arrived late and tired for my first night. The clerk ultimately managed to arrange a $3.00 credit, but stated she could go no higher; even the $3.00 was enough to put her standing with Kit in jeopardy.

While I appreciated her attempt to somewhat offset the overcharge it was she who selected the bogus "quiet" room for me and who helped to perpetuate the lame customer service of this place.

So, if you take the risk of staying at the Econo Lodge, Bellingham, WA, just be aware that any problems that may arise and that could ruin your stay to some degree, are your fault. Any assistance from staff must ultimately be approved by Kit. And Kit is not your friend, plus she could not care less if you came back. She also could not care less if you post your complaints about your stay on the Trip Advisor website, just like I'm doing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Econolodge228, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Regarding: David F
We are sorry that this guest’s stay at our hotel was unsatisfactory. He stayed with us almost 2 years ago, so it is impossible to recall exact details of his situation.
All of the staff believe in offering excellent customer service, and we make every effort to ensure that every guest has a comfortable and pleasant experience

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham? Share your experiences!