“Off with their heads!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle
“Off with their heads!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

Well, this used to be a great hotel for the value, but no more.

Over the past 10 years or so we must've stayed here at least 25-30 times under previous owners, so we thought we knew what to expect. We have always asked for a room on the top floor in the first building as we have found this to be the quietest spot.

Apparently, there are new owners... new owners who haven't a clue.

After we found out our in-room heating didn't work, we were juggled around to several different rooms, each with it's own "issues". (The clerk stated that a relative of the owners' was now the manager and that getting things repaired correctly and in a timely manner was not the manager's strong suit.)

Finally we were in one that seemed ok - until we realized a few hours later that we were surrounded by young college-age men who were drinking like fish and exhibiting nearly every noisy & obnoxious behavior you can imagine.

We looked at each other and agreed:"We're outta here!".

We had booked 4 nights and this was to be our 2nd, so we checked out and got refund on the last 2 nights.

None of this would've happened with the previous owners - everything always worked perfectly, and they even went so far as to "police" the buildings and parking lots regularly to make sure guests were remaining quiet and civil: up-to-and-including kicking people out if necessary.

So, stay away from The Coachman.

• Liked — good beds
  • Disliked — everything but the beds
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2006

I read the previous review before staying at the Coachman, and must say that I encountered none of the problems addressed by the reviewer. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. Yes, there was a cancellation policy, same as any hotel/motel. The rooms were simple (bed, bath, mini-fridge), but clean and only cost about $40 a night. I experienced none of the maintenance problems the previous reviewer stated. Everything was kept in good condition and worked fine. I also had no problems getting both a wake-up call, and outside calls patched directly to my room. All-in-all I was pleased to get a quiet, clean and friendly place to stay for half the price of Holiday Inn. I’m not much for taking my time to praise or denounce the businesses I visit, but I couldn’t let the previous review be the only representation of the Coachman Inn. I stayed, I'd stay again, and I'd gladly recommend you stay as well.

• Stayed January 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

My stay in Bellingham was for 3 nights at the Coachman Inn, and had no problems. The price was one of the lowest in the area, so I was willing to accept low quality but was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and quiet of the place.

The clerk was friendly and quickly took care of my admission. Besides a slightly cracked picture and low water presure shower, there wasn't anything wrong with the room and the premises was mostly free of litter. Easily within walking distance of WWU, grocery stores, and the bus station. Definitely my first choice if I find myself visiting the university in the future.

• Stayed January 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

my wife and i stayed there aweek we had no problems with anything
friendly people and the hotel is close to the shopping we did
THANK-YOU

R@L IN PRINGE GEORGE,B.C.

• Stayed April 2005
Fountain Valley, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2004

It's a good thing I didn't read the reviews before I stopped at the Coachman Inn. I stopped in without reservations. I asked to see a room, and was shown one cheerfully. I found the room to be clean and comfortable. The AC works better than some I've dealt with. The pool was clean and inviting, although the deck chairs need repair or replacing. My week stay here has been pleasant. I've had no complaints with the room or the staff. I suggest travelers check out the motel before judging. I will definitely stay here next time I'm in Bellingham.

• Stayed June 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2003

Stay away from this "roach motel"! This was the absolute worst! From the second I walked into the hotel, I knew I was NOT going to stay there! It was FILTHY! Smelled bad, and the front desk clerk, who by the way is the manager, was horribly rude. He called me names and threatened me. All of this simply because I asked to see the room before I paid. Also, he did this in front of my children. I left ASAP, called the police to make a report, and called my credit card company to delete the charge. DO NOT STAY HERE unless you like to be treated like dirt, and stay in filth.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2003

This hotel has the worse cancellation policies. They will tell you to cancel within 72 hrs of your stay, but when you try to cancel out the reservations clerks become very rude & tell you you can not cancel your reservation. Like most soccer teams you book early, if you call within a week they tell you you have to cancel within 4 weeks of the date you made the reservation. I have stayed at many hotels & no one has a policy like this. I just cancelled 12 rooms fro a tournament that did not have enough teams to play & the hotel was very nice about it unlike the Coachman Inn. I reccomend you never stay here then you won't have to deal with their rude clerks. Worse customer service I have seen!

Been to Coachman Inn? Share your experiences!