“Price was right & Met expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Coachman Inn
120 North Samish Way, Bellingham, WA 98225   |
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Bellingham
Richmond, BC
“Price was right & Met expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

This review is based on expectations for a budget type motel. We checked in around 10pm and although on our phone reservation we were promised a King room, they only had a Queen room by the time we arrived. We stayed 2 nts and were told we could move to a King for the 2nd nt, but my wife said she was happy with our room. We only needed to sleep and get showered there and spent very little time in the room. Bed was comfortable. 3 pillows supplied with varying thickness and compressibility. Clean room included a decent sized table for a desk and a small, lighted alcove with a mirror that could be used as a makeup area. New vinyl floor in the bathroom. For the WIFI, they have many secured networks, although even after getting the updated password from the front office, web pages would not load. There was an unsecured network that worked and loaded web pages properly. The owner/manager did offer a plug in modem next morning when I mentioned it to him, but I declined it as we would not need it until late at night. Heater worked fine and hot water was responsive and plentiful. Walls are a bit thin as I heard some sneezing (or yelling) briefly. Doors had old doorknob key locks, but also had a separate deadbolt. Although motel is older, grounds are clean and the building had a nice paint job. Sauna was advertised, but did not check it out. Short blackout curtains allowed quite a bit of light into the room through the top and bottom. Basic continental breakfast: instant oatmeal, cold cereal, apple & orange juice, milk, coffee, assorted muffins, bananas and coffee. Indoor hot tub is about 20 yards across the parking lot from the seasonal outdoor swimming pool. Only 1 bath towel supplied. Manager said the rooms with one bed should have had 3 bath towels. He was going to follow up with his staff. Area had several other budget motels and some family and fast food restaurants. Price was right and met our expectations. Staff was friendly and responsive. My wife thought we would likely stay here again with the boys.

+ clean room, hot water-responsive and plentiful, room heater worked well although a bit noisy
- secured WIFI did not work properly

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Redmond, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I chose this motel because it looked like the best choice that fit our school group's budget. It was even better than I expected. Our high school students and parents felt the manager and staff sincerely welcomed us and cared about making our one night's stay as pleasant as possible. Everyone commented favorably on the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms, the location convenient to the WWU campus, and especially the friendly hospitality.

My bed was firm and comfortable with better linens than the usual budget motel. There were plenty of lights in the room and the heater was efficient. Everything looked and felt very clean. Bathroom towels were thick and fluffy. The shower pressure was not the best, but for one night I wouldn't complain! The breakfast compared favorably to some "continentals" I've experienced: real orange juice, packaged muffins, cold cereal and instant oatmeal, as well as coffee and tea, and the staff made sure that nothing ran out. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2009
Reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I had a very good stay at this Motel and loved the greeting at the door. Walking in I felt comfortable and the lobby was clean and just nice! The owner is a very nice man and the young men at the counter are just as nice! The room was clean and comfortable and had everything I needed to study and read. The grounds have nice maintenance around the buildings and I certainly welcomed the continental breakfast I was invited to eat in the morning after I woke up. The maid was very pleasant and asked me several times if there was anything I needed. My stay was 4 days and every morning I was greeted by the owner and his smile and was promptly woke on my request ring ring. The rates are very fair and I would recommend the rates and service to everyone. There are several places to eat in the vacinity and being near I-5 was nice for northbound or southbound travels. Also being just 10 minutes into the heart of Bellingham.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
NE Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

My ratings are based on the type (budget) of motel, what can/should be expected within the type.
Stayed 3 nights March 7th to the 10th
I was visiting on family business and due to the fact my husband was injured at home in an accident a month earlier (meaning we were without income for the time being) cost was a primary concern. After reading other reviews of the budget type motels in Bellingham I chose Coachman. It was a good choice.
Prior reviews are accurate. It is an older facility but has had some updating. The rooms are small but perfectly adequate. Very clean which is what I'd hoped for no matter the price. Comfortable beds. Staff friendly. The operators are also the owners and family members which means they have a vested interest in good management.
They do have wifi but for whatever reason my laptop would not sync with the wifi password, when I went to the front desk to see if there was an option the manager/owner gave me a plug in modem...problem solved! That's what I call service.
The first night there was a rugby game in towm and a lot of the players stayed at the Coachman, early evening they were getting a bit loud. I saw the owner walk through and soon after the players dispersed to the local taverns. Don't know if anything was said, just the owner seemed to take care of the situation w/o making anyone upset.
The continental breakfast is very basic, but what do you expect for the price!
Prior to making reservations I checked prices for the same 3 day period at the 4 other lowest cost Bellingham locations and Coachman was the lowest of all and had the best reviews.
For the cost conscious traveler this is a gem. If you like a lot of amenities, a big breakfast selection and more then go eslewhere and pay for it.

• Stayed March 2009
Townsville Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

Staff were welcoming and helpful at all times. They were hapy to assist us as international travellers. The beds were fantastic and the rooms were clean, warm and functional, with plenty of roo. The motel is only 2 minutes from the university (walking distance), food outlets and shops. We highly recommend to any university visitors. We will be staying again on each of our visits. Price was more than value for money. A pleasant surprise.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at the Coachman Inn. The motel was newly remodeled, clean, and the staff was very, very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a bit small but certainly adequate. We will be staying here again in the future when we come to visit our son.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed February 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Port Moody
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

We have just returned from 2 nights at Coachman Inn. The hotel is great and we have never experienced such incredible service before. The owner was at the front desk to greet us when we arrived and when we left - very friendly and helpful.

The room was a little on the small side - but spotless. It contained a small fridge and a coffee maker - supplies replaced daily. A microwave was available in the hall and where continental breakfast was served.
For breakfast there was oatmeal, 3 kinds of cold cereal, fruit juice, milk, coffee, assorted muffins and bananas and coffee was on by 6 AM

The pool was great - we spent one afternoon lazing about - nice table and umbrella and lounging chairs. Water was 86 degrees!

The location was great - several great restaurants close by on same street. There was also a grocery store - Haggen's just down the street - with one of the greatest deli dept's I have ever seen! Not more than a 2 minute drive off of Freeway.

This is an older hotel but it is being very lovingful cared for and I saw people working on and off all day both days we were there.

The only knock I can honestly give is that our TV was not the best - could not adjust the colour - but that was a minor point as it the met the need in every other way!

We will stay again - great value for the price!

• Liked — Service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — TV quality
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Coachman Inn? Share your experiences!