“Bland” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Korean
Newcastle
“Bland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We came on A Thursday for lunch about 1:15 pm. I took a friend who had never had Korean food.
We both ordered the Sizzling Bibimbap. The rice did not crust over as it was supposed to. The dish itself was very bland. There was alot of rice not much meat or veggies. We asked for soy sauce the waitress said it was very starchy ...which I assume she meant salty. I also had asked for a little sesame oil but it was not brought. I put a ton of hot sauce on it for flavor but it made it just hot. I like the raw egg to stir in after the sizzling nearly stops. The side dishes were just OK. three Kimchi type, one chopped up plain cabbage, and one soybean cube. I like pickled Diakon radish, honey soy black beans, and the tiny potatoes, and the bean sprout salad. But they were not a choice that day. We were not brought hot tea...I thought that was always the custom.
Maybe we hit it on a bad day or a bad cook day? My daughter had gone here the month before and thought it was good.
The waitress was prompt in asking us if we wanted order ...I had just sat down and was taking my coat off. She came back twice and then we ordered after discussing the menu.
I wish we had ordered the Seafood Pancake and the bulgogi maybe it would have been a better choice?

Bad day? New cook? Bad menu choice? I do not know if the other food is good or not.

I think next time we will try the Korean Palace. My daughter went there and said what she ordered was very good. I really like South Gate BBQ. I had their Bibimbap. It was very tasty and the rice was nicely crusted (one doesn't mix until the sizzling had almost stopped to get the crusty rice).

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Washington
“Good quality food fabulous Korean BBQ grill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stopped in on a Thursday night for dinner. The place was a full house, with many patrons. It looked clean, A/C was running just fine. Many tables had the BBQ going, but the fans worked great so smoke wasn't an isssue. The restaurant no longer serve sushi, which is just fine by us. We came here to eat some good Korean BBQ grill.

We ordered the bulgogi (marinated ribeye thinly sliced beef) and the boneless kalbi (short ribs). Very tasty, and since we grilled the meat ourselves, it was fresh hot and perfect just the way we like it. The BBQ came with 10+ variety of iimchee dishes, plus a big salad. Also a bowl of soup and rice. When you order the BBQ, there is a 2 order minimum, so take a friend, or a group of friends.

Service was prompt. We were in and out in less than one hour. $58.00 including tip and taxes, cheaper than a steak dinner for two. Plenty of food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas, United States
“Maybe an off day, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I'll admit I didn't eat there. Frankly, I walked in and from the smell and look of the place, I knew I didn't want to. It looked like they had an issue with the A/C as all the doors were open and the smell inside was overpowering (not in a good way). the place was also dirty and the prices that I could see looked high.

Visited July 2013
Plano, Texas
“Great Korean Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I go to Blue Ginger every time I am in Seattle/ Redmond. Korean barbeque is great to do and the accompaniments they provide with the meat are great. Blue Ginger has excellent Kimchi which is key with Korean food.

Each time I've been there has only been 1 person serving all the tables, and for the most part she does a great job.

A very good alternative if you're in the mood for oriental food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BELLEVUE
“Best Korean Food this side of Osan AB, ROK.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stopped at the Blue Ginger Grill for lunch one weekday. There were several Korean families in the restaurant, always a good sign at an ethnic restaurant. We ordered fried potstickers or yakimandu along with grilled flank ribs or kalbi and spicy grilled pork or bulgogi. The entrees came with rice and a selection of traditional Korean side dishes.

The yakimandu were good, the kalbi were excellent. Grilled crispy along the edges with the centers still tender. The spicy pork was very good, spicy enough yet not so much that you couldn't taste the meat. For the sides, the spicy pickled cabbage or kimchee was fresh, the leaves crisp but still pickled. The spice was mild for anyone who's been to Korea, but still packed the heat. The radish kimchee was spot on, cool and hot. I liked the bean sprouts and the pickled ginger as well.

The staff was friendly but not American restaurant style obsequious, letting us eat in peace and only checking with us once. Prices were on par for the area.

• Visited July 2012