“As close to New York as you can get!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Arroyo Grande, California
“As close to New York as you can get!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were former residents of the East Coast and were longing for good deli food when we are in the Seattle area. Goldberg's is as close as you are going to get. The only thing missing was the NY attitude.

The place was busy as it always is. The service was prompt and efficient. Okay, they could stand to sweep up a little better, but being so busy, I'll give them a break (this time).

Food quality was good. Serving size was above average (very close to NY deli style). Pricing was fair considering location.

Would I return? Yes.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kirkland, Washington
“Needs an update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a very popular restaurant, which was very busy at lunch time. First impressions are often lasting ones . . . and this place looks a bit outdated and a bit unclean. The servers were very attentive as was who appeared to be a manager or chef. The food was average. The corned beef was not sliced thin enough and was fatty. Cole Slaw and Russian dressing tasted as though they were made with a poor quality mayonnaise. The restroom also needed some attention. They should close down for a couple weeks, refresh their look, clean the place really well and have a few taste tests on some of their items. The whole place needs a bit of a facelift. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't stellar.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Comfort Food for a Certain Genre.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I came here with out of town relatives that were craving some good deli - savory, mouth water corned beef, pastrami and all the usual foods from their Jewish tradition. Apparently San Francisco doesn't have the quality Kosher/Kosher-style food that it once had and left this family without some important experiences. Well, I took a chance on taking them to Goldberg's Famous Deli based on my one visit here about seven years ago. Let's just say that one of the elders that loves to talk didn't have a word to say since her mouth was full the whole time. All in all, our entire party enjoyed traditional foods and skipped the traditional diner food items (burgers and pasta). My Ruben was (yes, I had meat and dairy together!) stacked high but not too high that I couldn't get my big mouth around it. I was in heaven and washed it down with a Vernor's.

The service was friendly, fairly prompt and kept the pickles coming to the table as we waited for our food to arrive. The atmosphere was recreated retro diner which always seems a bit tacky to me. Once you shove the food in your pie-hole you won't care much about where you are sitting. Just focus on the crunch of your pickle....

Overall this was a nice experience with some grateful eaters.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bellevue, Washington
“I wish Goldbergs was more true to the genre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

To me, a New York style deli is either Kosher or at lesat Kosher style. I wish Goldbergs would drop the bacon and ham items from their menu. There are plenty of other places to get food like that. That being said, their traditional deli foods are all pretty good. Try a corned beef and chopped chicken liver sandwich for a sensory delight. You need plenty of pickles too.

Visited December 2011
Spokane, Washington
“So Happy To Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband is from NY & loves Kosher style Deli. We are from Spokane and have not found anything edible in the state. I can't believe we have not found it before. All the google searches I have done .... If you love a full Kosher style restaurant like the east coast you won't find anything like it in 500 miles.

• Visited May 2012