“Restaurant can't handle busy times.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Family Fare
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Restaurant can't handle busy times.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

While traveling, and a overnight stop in Wytheville, Virginia we went to dinner at this Applebee's on 12/26 about 6 pm. There was a small crowd of about 15 people waiting for tables and we put our name in. The male host never said hello when he first saw us. After about 5 minutes we were called for our table. Most of the waiting people were larger groups. I ordered a beer and my wife water, which was promptly delivered by our excellent waitress, Angela. We ordered the Steak Experience each and my wife ordered a NY Strip medium rare and me a Ribeye rare with a extra side of mushrooms (not included). While waiting, we saw the couple across from us talking about how his chopped sirloin was over done. Our meals came and the waitress left. Our steaks had been cooked the opposite of what we ordered even though the waitress checked after she came back and looked at them. My steak was medium, not even pink and should have been rare. My wife's was rare, the way I like it. The mushrooms were also not on the steak. The waitress said they were understaffed and very busy. I had seen the manager, a male, walking the floor earlier talking to people but he selected who (appeared to be local people). Our waitress returned and took my plate and said the manager was too busy to come out but he comped my meal. We never did see him, which I thought was poor for a restaurant to just say here, we'll give you a meal. That was not what I expected when I walked in. I used the mens room and it was trashed with the tall wastebasket overflowing and towels all over the floor. I realize this was a busy holiday period time but still, the customer should not get excuses. Next time we travel through Wytheville, maybe we will look for another restaurant. I must admit, Angela was a very good waitress and hustling despite the craziness there.