“Please read before you stay!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Kingston Inn Wytheville
1160 E Main St, Wytheville, VA 24382   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
Madison, Wisconsin
“Please read before you stay!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I needed an inexpensive hotel/motel to stay at during a 17 hour drive. It was late and we were tired so we stopped here. The first problem I had was that after I paid (non refundable of course) they took a copy of my credit card for some reason. I have never had a motel/hotel ever do that and I was really upset about that. The clerk assured me the reason why they did that is because they need to know how I paid. When we got in the room we were met with a terrible smell of mold and only one of the lights worked. There were dead bugs in the corner along with spider webs. The sheets and the blanket on the bed had a really strong smell of mold and the light in the bathroom did not work. We used our cellphone flashlight to look in the bathroom and in the tub there were dead bugs. I would have asked for a better room but I don't think that they had one because why would they put us in their to begin with. I did not expect a four star hotel at that price but i have stayed at quite a few motels that were cheap that were clean and comfortable and this just wasn't one of them.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glade Spring, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Okay I needed a cheap room for one night and cheap it was. Cost me $45 with tax. First off I asked for non smoking and there was an ashtray in the room and it smelled like a smokers lounge! Worst of all it was nasty nasty nasty!!! Bugs dead and alive everywhere. Shower was horribly moldy/mildewed. The a/c barely did anything at all. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else....anywhere else!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

it was late, another thunderstorm was coming, and we just wanted some rest... this place looked okay from outside, and it was a new/different name so thought we would give it a shot... we soon realized we should have gone elsewhere.... anywhere else
distracting the desk clerk from the televised basketball game, requesting a ground floor (I cannot do stairs), nonsmoking, queen bed room, upon reaching the room. we were given a double bed- "that's our standard bed for 2 people"- we were disallowed opportunity to cancel- the owners don't allow it". my partner decided we could make it work and finances are too tight to waste the monies paid.
the room was adequately furnished otherwise though tv had odd habit of showing one channel followed by static channel followed by another clear channel every time you changed channels. bed was not very comfortable and reinforced my habit of traveling with my own sheets and pillows, as theirs were not adequate. towels in bathroom were very small, and all linen could have used dome fabric softener, I have used smoother sandpaper. luckily again, I travels with my own real towels
two positives, room was clean and showerhead was great, so rare does one get good shower in mote nowadays
this did not defray the next snafu- no wifi... second largest sign out front states wifi, but was not available all night. 2 clerks told us that is routine when it rains or is foggy, wifi will not work. they know the problem but have not fixed, which shows how much customers matter
unable to get comfortable nor sleep adequately at 3 the next morning, went to get gas only to discover my debit card and drivers license were not in my wallet. on return to motel, they had been left in copier by the check in clerk and i failed to notice at the time. on checkout the clerk apologized for our issues but refused to give any refund, ."the owners don't allow us to".

Room Tip: go elsewhere for good room