“Nice store, aging tower” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 15 things to do in Wytheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Walker Lookout is the designated overlook of the Big Walker Mountain National Forest Scenic Byway that is on US-52 between exit 52 & exit 47 of I-77 in Virginia between Bland, Va & Wytheville, Va. It is just 12 miles north of I-81 from exit 70. This is one of the few accessable places in the east where you have a 360 degree view of the mountain valleys & farm-scapes of the Appalachian Mountains. Big Walker Lookout features the BW Country Store with 25+ artisans & crafters' handmade works. It is a Crooked Road Affiliated Venue that features free, live concerts every Saturady & Sunday from May through October. We also feature artists & crafters demonstrating their talents on the front porch every weekend throughout the spring, summer & fall. We feature homemade ice cream, farm fresh fudge & delicious chocolates. It is a great hiking, biking and trail biking trail-head for beginner & expert adventurers. Big Walker is a historic pass where, during the Civil War, Molly Tynes traveled to Wytheville to warn of the impending Toland's Raid. It is a Virginia Birding and Wildlife view area and a raptor migration path. Come by for a visit. We are open year round 10-5 and later in the summer.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Nice store, aging tower”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Visited this attraction 1st week of May 2013. It was very windy the day we were there. The wind was so bad we were unable to make it to the top. We were about 10 feet short of the top when we gave up. We could feel the tower moving in the wind. The lady in the store said the tower was designed to move. I have been on a few towers and this was the only one I felt move. Before we climbed, we noticed the cement footings in some spots were badly worn away. It seems to me the tower needs some work. Also, the swinging bridge looks like it could use some work. Anyway, it is an amazing view. The store there reminds me of a store you might see on The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie. Because I have lived in a big city my whole life, I really enjoyed this store. There are many hand-made products in this store, made by local residents. I think the store is the real attraction.

Visited May 2013

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun for one time only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The view was unparalleled, especially from the lookout. I'll agree that the lookout tower was a bit shoddy, especially since we paid quite a bit of money and saw what one reviewer had put about its shape---and more. It was good to go up it once, but with some boards being loose we were a bit nervous to stay on for too long. The view was fantastic though :3
If you like good bluegrass and local crafts and food, it'd be great to visit again. We got some bread there that was delicious and soaps that were amazing. But it didn't seem law enforcement friendly (both of us are officers) so that threw us off a bit. The locals also didn't seem too kind to us, so we might just visit to get bread and soap if we go again.

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great views, but not so solid construction”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

The view from the top was wonderful, but not sure it was worth the $6 per adult and the $4 per child. Also, I am not sure the last time the tower was inspected by a structural engineer - but it seemed a bit unsafe to me. You get a great view from the base of the tower...no need to climb. The store was cute with lots of "local" flair, but was wildly overpriced on many items. Worth the trip for the view - I am sure it's much better in the late fall with all of the foliage, but not worth the price of the climb.

Visited September 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You Can See Forever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Tall lookout tower open to the public at no charge. Country store often featuring live music. In August, a cool, mountain top breeze to die for.

Visited August 2013
US52-Scenic_Byway, Owner at Big Walker Lookout, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your nice review. I need to correct one error though. The tower has an admission for adults of $6.00 and for children under 12, a $4.00 fee. Thanks for visiting and you have received a complimentary pass for your visit.
Thanks,
Ron Kime
Madison, VA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Worth the drive up the mountain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This place is a little hard to find - found it online when researching Wytheville - no signs as you enter the town but the online instructions guided us. Worth the long drive up the mountain for the beautiful views and the fun gift shop loaded with souveniers and many unusual kinds of handmade soap! We didn't climb the gigantic tower for the "360 degree view" but we enjoyed the views just the same. Don't miss it!

Visited July 2013