“Tired old Motel 6 but Inexpensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Wytheville

You added Motel 6 Wytheville to your Saves list
Motel 6 Wytheville
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   220 Lithia Road, I-77/I-81 North at Exit #73, Wytheville, VA 24382   |
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
California
“Tired old Motel 6 but Inexpensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is not one of the old “corporate” Motel 6s but one of the franchised operations. It was obviously an old motel that once operated under a different name that entered the Motel 6 franchise program. This Motel 6 directory noted that this motel had the “New Rooms” that Motel 6 is promoting. More on the interior of the rooms later. The motel is on a hillside above Interstate 81 and is composed of several one story buildings. I requested and was assigned the one story building that was the farthest away from I-81 and there was no road noise. I am not sure if that would be the case if your room was in the first or second building closest to I-81.

My king bed room was large and would have easily held two queen beds. These may have been Motel 6’s “New Rooms” but my room was dinged up quite a bit. The “New Room” concept requires a “hardwood floor” which I think is a composite flexible material but it was applied poorly. The sub floor preparation was probably non-existent. The floor was flimsy and buoyant. There seemed to be bubble in the floor underneath it since the floor material was squishy and flexed when you stepped on it. The walls had been repaired in the past with different texturing and the walls had scars where electrical conduit ran between old switches and lighting fixtures that once existed. The ceiling had three metal plates where older lighting fixtures once existed. The room cabinet had an old mount where a TV was once attached. (The actual room TV was a new flat screen that was set into the wall however.) The door frames were banged up.

My room had a frig and microwave. The bathroom had what appeared to be a new shower and sink and bathroom vanity surface (that’s good) but an old toilet near its end-of-life. There were no towel bars in my room. Some Motel 6 beds, I have found, are really bad but this was one was not: it was not super-great but it was just fine for me.

The room was pretty mediocre but I paid $40 for a single so it was a good value.

Room Tip: Request room as far from I-81 as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dayton OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

The title of this review says it all. I did not stop here to use the pool or to admire the decor. I wanted a cheap, clean, quiet room to sleep. This Motel 6 is just right for the price. No frills, but no bugs. Very clean, the room smelled fine and there was lots of hot water. The staff was friendly and efficient. Free coffee and fast internet access in the lobby made my morning productive.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pharr, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was my second time staying at this Motel 6 while passing through Wytheville. I really can't say anything bad about it; for the price of $35.99 a night it was fine. You get what you pay for so don't come expecting the Hampton Inn. I had one of the rooms that wasn't remodeled yet (room 304). Even though it wasn't remodeled the room had a new flat panel TV with more channels than most other Motel 6's Ive stayed in. I was traveling with two dogs and there's a good amount of grass around to walk your pets. The only gripe that I have is that the carpets in my non-updated room seemed really dirty. It appeared that they were a much brighter blue at one point in time. Maybe shampooing it every once in a while would be good. I recommend this place if you're looking for a cheap place to stay the night while passing through (ESPECIALLY if you have dogs as there's no charge.)

Room Tip: Go for the front two rows of rooms, as they are the only ones that appeared to be updated, as of 7/2...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I am staying with my boyfriends family in wythville for wyvacon.. Needless to say, when I found out we were staying in a motel 6 I was VERY upset. But despite the reviews on here, it was not that unpleasant. You can tell they have renovated recently; there are piles of broken and nasty baseboards and matter eases outside. The outside is quite ruff, doors are beat up and cracked. But the room itself was a big relief. The beds were pretty comfy and there are no signs of bed bugs. All of our linens appear clean. The bathroom is in pretty sad shape, the flooring is not lauded down well in places and the parts surrounding the tub are really torn up.
TL;DR It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Milton, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you are looking for basic accommodations, this Motel 6 might fit the bill. The rooms have all recently been redone. I wasn't sure what I thought of the vinyl wood look flooring but they were new and clean. I suppose that would be easier to maintain for an establishment than carpeting. There were 8 of us traveling so we had two rooms. The outside of one door was in rough shape but the inside of the rooms were in good condition. Some things appeared to have been "patched" but at least they had been done and not left as they were. We were not expecting high end accommodations as we only paid $50 each for our rooms. The woman who checked us in was patient and cheerful despite us checking in around 1:00 a.m. We would consider staying here again overnight if we were en route somewhere but probably not for a longer stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boonsboro, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

On a recent trip from Maryland to Florida and back we stayed at 5 different Motel 6s with this one being our 1st. During this trip we found that there are no set standards from Motel 6 to another and no matter how nice or dumpy the room is the prices are about the same. We arrived around 1030 at night after driving for 5 hours. Check in was smooth, cost about $45. We were in room 110, the outside door looked as though something had chewed on the bottom. The room looked like it was under construction. The bathroom was missing trim work around bottom of tub/shower and along the walls. I totally dislike the wood like floors, they are cold and unwelcoming. During this trip I can truly say this was the worse Motel 6 we stayed at.

Room Tip: Would not recommend this motel to anyone.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We are about to stay here again for the 5th time in 9 months. As a family of 10 with 3 rooms and as a couple. They have update the rooms over the last 6 months that we have been staying here. Outside of the building looks worn but rooms have no stained carpets anymore and modern furnishing and fixtures. There is an outdoor pool that we used last summer but is under construction for repair right now. I recommend this hotels for their convenient location and value.
There is a small "tiny" church down the road worth checking out.

Room Tip: Request that doors don't connect.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Wytheville? Share your experiences!