“hidden gem...” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Marietta, Ohio
“hidden gem...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I usually stay at the Hampton Inn down the street but when I called their prices had rissen to $119.00 before tax so I decided it was time to find someplace else I was unsure of the BestWestern after reading a few reviews but thought I would try it and Im glad i did..this place was great..large parking lot easy to get a semi into ..freindly people ,clean,great bed...was it the Hampton, no but it was $50.00 cheaper with a cdl discount....they will have my business everytime Im in the area...rooms looked freshly remodeled also....for the money it was great...

Room Tip: top floor was nice and quiet..greta for a day sleeper like myself
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sandra M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Wytheville Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit at Best Western Wytheville Inn. It was a pleasure having you with us. We will look forward to a return visit in the future.

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

hotel is tucked away from the main drag... but found it no problem with the GPS. The one thing I loved about this hotel is that they don't have those nasty bed spreads.. they have a runner type fabric across the bottom of the bed for presentation, also the blanket is sandwiched between two bed sheets... Also, the hotel was in the process of replacing all the beds when we were there. 2 mattress trailers were on site and unloading as we were checking in... great nights sleep

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Wytheville Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Guest
Please accept our sincere thanks for the opportunity to provide our services to you. We want you to feel at home whether this was your first or one of many visits here. Our customer relations are very important to us. We at Best Western Wytheville Inn sincerely hope you will consider us again
INDIANAPOLIS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We chose this place because we travel with our dog and have had good experiences with Best Western in other locations. This was a disappointment. The bathroom floor was dirty, including stains. The bathroom sink and faucet were not clean. Rug was vacuumed, but all along the wall was not clean and there was junk behind the beside table. We had two double beds and both squeaked terribly with the slightest movement. Our room was right next to the outside door so we were awakened in the very early hours (before dawn) as people went in and out to their cars. Not a good night's rest when you get to bed around 1 and are wakened off and on from 5 AM on...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Please accept our sincere apologies that you did not have a good stay at the Best Western Wytheville Inn. We want our guest to feel at home whether this was your first or one of many visits here. Our customer relations are very important to us . We would hope that you would consider us again in the future.
Sandra L Montgomery
Portsmouth, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is the third time a friend and I have stayed at this hotel , each time while on a business trip.It is located very accessible from the interstate but on a side road with no traffic sounds. The lobby is very attractive and the front desk staff very hospitable and helpful. The room is immaculate and well appointed. Since we make frequent trips and are on a "tight" budget, we carry our own food with us, so appreciate the adequate refrigerator, microwave, and table and chairs for two people in the room. The complimentary breakfast includes biscuits and sausage gravy and hard cooked eggs as well as a good selection of more commonly found breakfast foods. The spacious dining area is pleasant. Coffee and tea are available 24 hours daily in the lobby, and also there is a coffee maker in the room. I recommend this hotel to all travelers

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Please accept our sincere thanks for the opportunity to provide our services to you. We want you to feel at home whether this was your first or one of many visits here. Our customer relations are very important to us. We at Best Western Wytheville Inn sincerely yope you will consider us again.
Benwood, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western in Wytheville, VA on Martinsville Nascar weekend where we paid $86.00 per room per night for our rooms. We would have thought that since we were 90 miles from the race track that the rooms wouldn't have been so overinflated but they still were.

There was a very sweet elderly lady at the front desk who worked dilligently but really could have used some help since there was a line to the door for quite a while. There did seem to be a co-worker who came in and out of an office area but she was too busy entertaining a biker-looking man.

Needless to say, when we got our rooms they weren't side by side but they were only a few doors apart. Both rooms smelled clean and we had a beautiful view of the pool, had it been open. Our other room had someone next to them who had dogs and they could be heard all night barking and whining.

The matresses in both rooms could have used an update as all 4 beds (2 in each room) squeeked and everytime anyone moved it kept the rest of us up all night. The linens were clean and we were provided with plenty of pillows as well as fresh, clean bath towels. The TV was ok and there were enough channels to keep me occupied until it was bed time.

The breakfast buffet was over at 9 a.m. and wasn't much to talk about; breakfast gravy, toast, muffins, coffee and juice. We opted to go down 1 more exit and eat at the Waffle House instead. They do have a beautiful area to sit down and eat your breakfast.

Overall it wasn't the best place I've ever stayed in but it,by far, wasn't the worst. I think the next time I go to a race I will stay at my old place just 1 more exit down the highway though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest
My apologies that you felt that the rates were too high for your recent stay at the Best Western Wytheville Inn. I can assure you that the rates are consistent with the area and are not increased for the Martinsville race.
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I paid $53+tax for a king bed via an internet coupon. (The base rate on this coupon for a smaller bed or for doubles is $49.) You can also find discount books that offer a similar rate at rest areas and similar places, although I couldn't find any such books in any truck stops or restaurants in the Wytheveville area.

Anyway, this is a decent deal, even considering you have a lot of options in Wytheville. The bed was comfy, pillows were plentiful, the linens and towels were fine if not luxurious, the property is well-maintained and everything in my room worked fine. My TV was an older tube model but got dozens of channels. You will probably encounter some road noise (hard to avoid in Wytheville) but I do just fine running the fan at night. The property is in a rather secluded area where you can't actually *see* the freeways or other tourist facilities, while still providing good access to I-77, if this matters.

Service was fair. Only one woman was on the desk in the evening, and a line often formed for service. Before checking in I repeatedly left (to explore other hotels, eat etc) and returned until there was no line... this took a long time. Nothing about the breakfast was especially nutritious or appetizing. Coffee is available all morning, which was nice.

Worst feature was the $1 "safe fee", which is really $1+tax. This offends me as it is an overt attempt at opportunistic nickel-and-diming, it's something I have to remember to get removed, and it slows down the checkout process. (In fact it forces me to go to the desk in the morning in the first place, rather than just leaving, creating more work for the staff as well.) Don't insult me by calling it a "convenience", it's an INconvenience to get it removed. It's also legally questionable, as some states require all charges to be disclosed at booking (not sure about Va) and it becomes harder to compare rates side-by-side. I know most of the Choice chain does this nowadays, but Marriott, Hilton and the like see no need to insult its customers in this fashion. Come on, Best Western, you're better than this. You get one star for "service".

Anyway... if you're looking for sit-down food, groceries or shopping, don't be out too late. Many of the stores in this area close at 9 or 10 pm. Drive-thrus mostly close at 11 or midnight, and the fast-food joints in the nearby TA truckstop close at 11 I think. Wytheville's economy is pretty much serving freeway travelers, so I found this surprising.

Room Tip: Use fan to mask road noise. Ask to have charge for safe removed.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sandra M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Wytheville Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear ANON4444
Please accept our sincere thanks for providing our services to you during your visit to Best Western Wytheville Inn.
I do apologize for any inconvenience that you incurred. The room safe is disclosed on all registrations. Our new televisions will be here soon.
Our customer relations are very important to us here at Best Western Wytheville Inn. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Let me start and say is an OK hotel. Typical of a lot of lower end hotels. We stop because of the great reviews on Trip adviser and the awards it won.

One, the check in person was slow and seemed to be on pain killers, loopy. She literally went on smoke break after us.....smoke break while people were waiting to check in and SHE TOLD THEM IT WOULD BE 10 MINUTES, if I had been them I would have left. I hope they did.

If that was the worst of it I would have given a better review. The room smelled just like most cheaper hotels. There no elevator to the second floor. The room decor and furniture was average, typical of cheap hotels. If I had not had the coupon for 49.99, the hotel coupon book you can get at the rest stops. I would have been very disappointed. There are better choices for 10-15 dollars more, like the Comfort Inn next to it.

Over all, for 50 bucks it was basic room that had some issues. I have no idea how it got those awards or rating. All in all I would say it was barely worth 50 a night. If I had to price this, I would say it should be a 40 dollar a night and it would have been worth it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear momdadsefi2010
Thank you for your recent comments to Trip Advisor. I do appreciate all comments that are sent to our property. Using these comments we can see from the perspective of others where we need to make improvements to our property and staff.
I do apologize that we were not up to the standard that you expected from Best Western Wytheville Inn.
Our customers are very important to us and we do hope you will consider us again in the future.
Sandra

Been to BEST WESTERN Wytheville Inn? Share your experiences!