I paid $53+tax for a king bed via an internet coupon. (The base rate on this coupon for a smaller bed or for doubles is $49.) You can also find discount books that offer a similar rate at rest areas and similar places, although I couldn't find any such books in any truck stops or restaurants in the Wytheveville area.
Anyway, this is a decent deal, even considering you have a lot of options in Wytheville. The bed was comfy, pillows were plentiful, the linens and towels were fine if not luxurious, the property is well-maintained and everything in my room worked fine. My TV was an older tube model but got dozens of channels. You will probably encounter some road noise (hard to avoid in Wytheville) but I do just fine running the fan at night. The property is in a rather secluded area where you can't actually *see* the freeways or other tourist facilities, while still providing good access to I-77, if this matters.
Service was fair. Only one woman was on the desk in the evening, and a line often formed for service. Before checking in I repeatedly left (to explore other hotels, eat etc) and returned until there was no line... this took a long time. Nothing about the breakfast was especially nutritious or appetizing. Coffee is available all morning, which was nice.
Worst feature was the $1 "safe fee", which is really $1+tax. This offends me as it is an overt attempt at opportunistic nickel-and-diming, it's something I have to remember to get removed, and it slows down the checkout process. (In fact it forces me to go to the desk in the morning in the first place, rather than just leaving, creating more work for the staff as well.) Don't insult me by calling it a "convenience", it's an INconvenience to get it removed. It's also legally questionable, as some states require all charges to be disclosed at booking (not sure about Va) and it becomes harder to compare rates side-by-side. I know most of the Choice chain does this nowadays, but Marriott, Hilton and the like see no need to insult its customers in this fashion. Come on, Best Western, you're better than this. You get one star for "service".
Anyway... if you're looking for sit-down food, groceries or shopping, don't be out too late. Many of the stores in this area close at 9 or 10 pm. Drive-thrus mostly close at 11 or midnight, and the fast-food joints in the nearby TA truckstop close at 11 I think. Wytheville's economy is pretty much serving freeway travelers, so I found this surprising.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western Inn Wytheville. Wake up to a great day at our hotel in Wytheville, VA. Enjoy a gorgeous sunrise over the mountains and a delicious complimentary breakfast. For business, our free high-speed Internet access keeps you connected. For pleasure, the outdoor pool is a great way to relax in the afternoon. Best of all, Best Western Inn Wytheville offers pet-friendly accommodations so you can bring the whole family along! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Despegar.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN Wytheville Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Wytheville Hotel Wytheville
- Best Western Hotel Wytheville
- Wytheville Best Western