“Reasonable value but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travel Lite Motel

Travel Lite Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wytheville
Prices are for rooms, adults
Travel Lite Motel
Save Saved
You added Travel Lite Motel to your Saves list
655 E. Main Street, Wytheville, VA 24382   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Wytheville B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Reasonable value but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We've stayed in better and cheaper places, but this motel was a decent enough place to spend a night. It's an old place which could do with refurbishment, but the room was large, and actually included a second bedroom. The man at reception was also nice and friendly. The night was freezing, but the heater worked well. Unfortunately the wifi didn't, so I had to sit out in the car to access the feeble signal.

Breakfast wasn't provided, but the room did have a fridge, so we were able to stock something ourselves. The location is decent; in one direction is Wytheville itself, while in the other there are a number of eating options. Overall this place is reasonable, but not something to rave about.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gahanna, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My kids and I drove to Myrtle Beach. We left late at night and thought we'd find a hotel to break up the trip. There was a fiddle players convention going on so the usual places we would stay were not available.

We stumbled on this little motel and it looked very quaint and well kept up on the outside. It was late when we arrived (about midnight) so we had to ring a bell for service. A woman came out and told us a room was about $80 with tax. It seemed high but we were tired and there were no other places available. My kids went in the room and my oldest son and I went to the store.

When I finally got in the room it smelled horribly like a litter box. I thought the smell would go away with the air on but it did not. The odor was so bad it burned our eyes and nose. Cat urine can have a really bad ammonia smell to it. This was insanely bad! The carpet by the door was even torn up from what looked like an animal trying to get out.

I went back to the front desk and asked the woman if she had another room. She asked why and I told her the room had a bad odor. She got very angry with me and said her rooms don't smell. Her husband joined the conversation. They refused to give me another room so I asked they refund my money and I'd move on. We were only in the room for about a half hour. They refused to refund my money. As soon as I left their parking lot I called my bank and disputed the charge. A few months later my bank returned the money.

The owners/management to this motel were very rude.

If you stay here request to see the room before you pay. I see others have stayed here with no complaints so they must have rooms that aren't so bad.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect the room before you pay at this motel or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Northeast TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I've worked in five star hotels, stayed in family chain hotels traveling growing up, and pretty much only use only cheap local motels when traveling. Comparably speaking this is pretty much middle of the road as far as budget motels are concerned.

What I didn't like: No coffee machine or microwave in room. Can definitely live without microwave, but I sooo need my coffee in the morning. But I was smart enough to bring coffee from Sheetz last night and I'm drinking it cold so I can get hot coffee. There's a Sunoco across the street, tons of stores nearby. Rite-aid in walking distance for people who can walk. There is a fridge in room.

It was "clean enough" - you could tell the place was scrubbed and cleaned, beds and sheets are clean, but it's old. There's dirt on walls, the bathroom is very aged and outdated, grout is old and discolored, bathtub needs a ton of work, (take a shower, don't plan a romantic bath in this room) but none of that affects me or my health, so I could care less. Sheets and blankets are very clean, and bathroom sink and toilet are sparkling. I can walk on the floor in my socks and not be afraid. I'm not afraid to pee or wash my hands.

Soap provided, not seeing any shampoo, so bring yours. Ya, the bathtub is in physically real rough shape. Ceramic buckling. Expensive overhaul is needed.

They have a choice of smoking and non-smoking - I got non-smoking and it did not smell like smoke at all. (Big plus. Doesn't always work like that at other motels!)

My rate for my daughter and I was $48 plus tax - came to $55. (Nascar was a few weeks ago :) Niagara Falls NY cheap motels jack up their rates the same way the other reviewer was talking about Nascar price jackups here.. Hate that.) Super 8 charges $50 according to Google Maps. I don't remember what amenities Super 8 has, but for me my decision was based on my current location at Sheetz, this was real easy to get to, I was tired, so I stayed here.

The room is a good size. Two double beds, table and two chairs, large dresser, alarm clock/radio, fridge, air conditioner. (Too cold for that now!) Definitely not a claustrophobic room like some I've seen where everything is crammed in.

This was a last minute stay for me since I was too tired to make it home to TN from NY (so close yet so far...). The room was cold when I entered, but heated up right away with the wall thermostat. (Note: I am always colder than my friends and generally like a place real warm.)

I found the beds comfortable and had a good night's sleep. Yes, there are birds chirping. THANK GOD!!! I can't believe that person complained about birds chirping. Much better than lots of traffic and sirens!!! There's a Sunoco across the street. You hear cars, but not "right outside your windows." We got here around midnight. Felt perfectly safe. No crazies or wild parties or anything. (Didn't see any animals either, but we don't mind them.)

Wifi: Apparently not all rooms get wifi, so tell them in advance if you're using wifi. They ended up giving me an ethernet cord to plug into phone to get internet. Owner's were professionally friendly, and very quick to answer phone and office door.

I have a packed pickup truck with a packed 12 foot trailer, there was a spot for me to park in, but it it's not a real roomy lot, not seeing space for a semi at all. Fine for cars. If you have a big U-haul or something, it could be a little challenging if lot is full. Perhaps you could park at gas station across street.

Staying here was a very last minute decision for me and I have no regrets. Biggest thing I'd wish for would be a coffee machine.

This room was fine for our needs. If you're looking for a cheap motel, I'd recommend this (although $55 isn't cheap to me. I usually consider a cheap motel to be under $40. But, the sleep was worth it for me cause I'm going home to a big mess with a big load to unpack!)

Room Tip: Room 116 was non-smoking, take shower, not bath. Wifi doesn't come in, they'll give you ethe...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

NASCAR weekend jacked up all Wytheville rates. Travel Lite went from $42 to $110 per nite. Our room smelled of cheap cologne until window AC was turned on. Walls were needing paint. Bathroom vanity door was off the hinges. Birds chirped outside shower vent, bath tub drain missing strainer cover, bath tile random colors, dresser draws were missing there bottom, I guess the dresser was there to support TV set. Trapped animal outside, below the back window that clawed the cage all night. Both my wife and I felt itchy for several days wondering if bed bugs. Wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid and negotiate at another motel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Very clean rooms, soft beds.
Parking lot very clean.
Is older motel for budget travelers.
Use travelcoupons for lowest price.
Has fridge in rooms, but lacks microwaveand and proper ice machine.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Travel Lite Motel? Share your experiences!