“Easy stop -pet friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn Wytheville

You added La Quinta Inn Wytheville to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn Wytheville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 East Main Street, I-81/I-77 at Exit 73, Wytheville, VA 24382   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
Houston
“Easy stop -pet friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Good location off I81 up on top of a hill. Recently renovated, clean, in good repair, spacious rooms. Free wifi & breakfast. This is a pet friendly hotel, so you will see many many dogs here. For our stay dogs were well behaved and quiet. If you are allergic to animals don't stay here. Otherwise a good economical stopover place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dothan, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed here for a week in July while visiting family and sightseeing in the area. Here are my pros/cons of LaQuinta Wytheville:

Pros:
*Large comfortable room, with a beautiful view of the mountains. The photos you'll see that have the rainbow in them here are the ones I took. Definitely ask for a mountain view when you check in; granted they can't accommodate all. If you don't get a mountain view, then at least make some time to go down to the two picnic tables in front of the property to enjoy the view.
*Breakfast selection was good for a chain; only complaint is I wish they had different fruits besides bananas. I do like bananas, but everyday got a little monotonous.
*The staff who oversees the breakfast area were great; as soon as you needed something, they gladly assisted you.
*The decor of the breakfast area and the nook across from the check in desk are very nice.
*Rooms are also comfortably decorated
*Although I do not have one to travel with, I honestly loved the fact that guests are OK to bring dogs here. I stayed here during a busy part of the summer, and I witnessed the fact that the good old American road trip is definitely alive and well! Owners seemed very responsible with their pets, and I loved seeing all of the different breeds of dogs. I had no issues with dog smells or anything like that which some of the reviewers here said. I didn't encounter a negative with this.
*One night housekeeping accidentally forgot to leave any new towels, so I went down to the front desk and had to wait for just a moment while the receptionist on duty called a couple who was out at dinner to say that she could hear their dog barking from the room; and that while none of the other guests had complained, she wanted to get to them before they did. I thought this was very responsible.
*Gym facility was small, but definitely enough to keep you going on the road.
*Pool area had a beautiful view of the mountains (pool itself looked scary); I didn't have the opportunity to go in. Either the color of the water didn't look right or the bottom of the pool itself needed repainting; not sure, it just didn't look too good; plenty of kids were enjoying it when I swung by to check it out, though.

Cons:
*For two consecutive nights early in our stay, the fire alarm went off. There was no fire, but I guess some water pipe/main had broken, causing the alarm to go off. The first time it did, there was a little confusion as to be expected. Everyone did evacuate; many already in their PJs since it was after 9 p.m. The alarm went off for a good half hour. Things happen, and the reason why I'm putting this experience in my "cons" section is that I do not like the way the communication to the guests was handled. There seemed to be just one woman on duty at the front desk when this happened. The guests were scattered all around the parking area while the alarm went off. To make some announcement to the crowd about what was happening, she just spoke out to the few around the very front of the building who could hear here; all of the other guests had to ask other guests and hear by word of mouth that we could go back into the building, if we wished; but the alarm would still be sounding until the fire department could shut it off. This seriously is not a way to communicate to a crowd of guests. At minimum, she needed a megaphone. Seriously. Even if she just used it to amplify her voice to tell all of the guests across the parking lot that she needed them to come closer so she could tell everyone at once what was going on.
*Before we were notified that it was ok to go back in, we all noticed two young (9ish years old) kids in a guest room window, waving to everyone below. The glass was steamed up. Some of us wondered if they were in need of rescuing? Was that steam from the shower or smoke from a fire? What adults left their kids in a room when an alarm was going off in a public building? Didn't the staff do a "sweep" of each floor to make sure its guests were out and safe? These are the things that concerned me this night... the first of TWO nights the alarm went off, but I'm getting to that.
*This one is not a con against the hotel, but against SOME adults: If you're still reading this, please know that the reason it says by every elevator to take stairs in case of an emergency is because the elevators WILL NOT WORK. Do you know how many adults were lined up outside of the elevator, pressing the buttons and wasting time (had this been a dire emergency) to try to get the elevator to come to them. IT WILL NOT WORK, TAKE THE STAIRS!
*Similar as above, I overheard a lady the next day, complaining to the hotel receptionist (who was not the same one on duty as the previous night) about the fire alarm going off. To the LaQuinta's staff member's credit, she was very understanding of what the woman had to say, and very polite. The grown woman complaining actually said to the receptionist, "Our life is in your hands." NO. NO, IT'S NOT. I am not putting my life in the hands of LaQuinta, Hilton, The Ritz, or Super 8. No wonder why some adults become injured or die during emergencies. They lose the ability to think for themselves. Seriously, this woman said that she had put her life in the hands of LaQuinta during the alarm/evacuation, and she was not satisfied with whatever it was she was complaining about. I totally disagree, you are an adult, you are responsible for yourself, especially in an emergency.
*On the second night of the alarm going off, it was annoying. I honestly let it go off for a little bit, looked around, made sure I couldn't smell smoke, etc. but I decided not to leave the room. (I was also not visible from the window like those children were in their room had been the night before). Some of the guests did evacuate. After a few minutes of the loud alarm going off, I called the front desk and asked if it was the same issue as the night before; she said yes and it wasn't an emergency per se for the guests; the fire department would have to come to shut it off, which they did.
*I know some people on here did some criticizing about the decor or ambiance of the hotel; Yes, it does seem a little older and they fixed it up some and tried to update it by painting in contemporary colors. You're not buying the place to live here. It's decent enough to stay here. I don't know, I guess I'm just not THAT picky. It's clean, and they did the best they could to make it up to date without doing structural changes for aesthetics.
*I personally wouldn't want a room on the lower floor that is directly across from the breakfast area.
*This is a smoke-free hotel, which is a huge plus for me. I don't know why anyone still smokes. Don't even get me going on that. I pulled up one day, mid-day, and a small clump of employees was on the side steps, smoking. I'm going to guess that they're not supposed to be doing that, because my sudden appearance seem to have startled them when I drove up, and they all started to act like they weren't smoking, or they were doing something else. Smoking directly outside of a smoke-free building, makes me wonder if that still gets this place to bill itself as smoke-free? To me, the property surrounding it should be smoke-free, too.
*We had a few minor issues with housekeeping; we asked for another comforter for my mom's bed as the second night she noticed black stains on it, perhaps from mascara (she doesn't wear any). We left a note and they changed it; another day, we came back and our bathroom was only half cleaned, and there were absolutely no towels or amenities left.
*LaQuinta is doing a lot of marketing that you can get a text when you're room is ready...yeah, this doesn't work. I never got one, and then I literally checked in, went up to the room, and got the text that my room was ready!

I know it seems like I've left a lot of negatives; I'm a teacher, so if I were to grade this place, I'd say about a B/B+. Some things made up for others. The major issue I had overall was the lack of communication abilities of this hotel to a crowd of people during a (potential?) emergency situation. This really needs to be improved. Otherwise, I definitely enjoyed my stay here. The view was so welcoming each morning; the breakfast was good; the staff was always kind and attentive.

See some of the other reviews that I have left, or check these places out in the Wytheville area, they are all pretty closeby, good for day trips or other such stops; I highly recommend:

*Edith Bolling Wilson museum in downtown Wytheville (less than 5 mins away); she was the 2nd wife to President Wilson.
*Hannah's Attic, also downtown, a antique shop that also sells new items; very good prices and friendly people
*Wytheville area visitor's center...also while there, ask to visit (for about $5) the Great Lakes to Florida Museum...very interesting!
*Big Walker Mountain Lookout, about a 15-ish minute drive?
*Beagle Ridge Herb Farm....worth the drive; address says Wytheville, but it's out in the boonies. Worth the visit, for sure; just look at their website for specific directions.
*Henley Mountain Blueberry Farm...in same area as the herb farm mentioned above.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room; the higher up, the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RussellS6162, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Wytheville, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for the review. I have addressed all of your saftey concerns with all of my employees and we have also taken care of the false alarm situation. I have had several staff meeting since this false alarm addressing our strong and weak points in hopes to only improve our timing and communication if or during a real safety situation. Thank you for your imput.

We hope to see you again soon!

Russell
Mansfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I just stayed at this property the other night and found it to be clean and comfortable. We travel with a small dog and this property if very dog friendly. They have recently remodeled the property and it was done very well. Beds are outstanding. The pool area is the only downfall. Hot tub not working and swimming pool water was an odd color. I would not have used the pool anyway.

Room Tip: If you travel with a pet ask for a room near the stairs for easy in and out.
Allison Park, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We decided at the last minute to leave Myrtle Beach a day early, due to a rainy last day, and was able to book this at 10:30 that morning for the 3pm check in. The hotel wasn't awful, it was just very basic. Very stripped down, looked dated even though it was supposedly updated in the last couple of years. The room was a disappointment, had very limited television channels, and the few they had had a fuzzy picture. The bathroom was nicely remodeled, but did not seem completely cleaned. We found long, dark hairs in shower, and under the sink. The beds and pillows were hard as rocks, and one of the comforters had an old blood stain and another mysterious stain on it. The breakfast was just okay. For how much money it cost to stay here, was not worth it. We had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the way down to Myrtle Beach, and was so much more satisfied with our stay there. Unfortunately, it was completed booked, so we could not stay there again. The cost per night was almost the same for the two hotels, and the Holiday Inn was so much better.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
WILMINGTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The rooms are clean and good sized. The shower is hot and good pressure. The TV screen was a bit small. The bed was comfy! The motel is situated on the hillside. It is a short driving distance to many restaurants. It is easy on off of the interstate. A comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked three rooms.

I booked this hotel for a stop over during a long trip with children. I knew that we would arrive late and thought the indoor pool would be a great way to relax after hours in a car.. I would have cancelled if I had known the pool area was not in working order.. The hot tub was a hole with about a foot of water in it.. Very dangerous for children. The pool was so cold that my grand kids stayed In less than ten minutes. The pool was a funny color, I wondered if the chemicals were correct.

The rooms were clean but two rooms had an unpleasant smell. After turning on the air conditioner and spraying a deodorizer they were fine. Mattress was new, but very firm.

Breakfast was biscuits, sausage patty, yogurt, waffles, cereal, muffins and bananas.

The front desk attendants were friendly.

I do not know how this hotel received such high rating.

Room Tip: Call ahead to find out if pool area is functional
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stop on way to beaches in south. Keep expectations realistic and this is fine place for a night. Facility was worn and outdated especially for La Quinta. Lots of pets may add to this but rooms were clean without too much pet odor and decent size. Exercise room was nicely furnished but problem with pool made it unappealing so didn't use it. Breakfast was fine but nothing special.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn Wytheville? Share your experiences!