“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
jacksonville
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel to and from our trip to NY. This hotel was recommended to us by our AAA travel counselor. Good job! The staff was friendly, the hotel room was very clean, and the area seemed safe. The hotel was just off the interstate, which was convenient.There were gas stations and fast food restaurants nearby. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

good location, close to interstate. very clean room. friendly staff.
the free hot breakfast was excellent.
would definitely stay here again.
girlfriend forgot her laptop in room. we didn't notice it missing till we got back to florida. staff had already found it. we paid for shipping and had it in 2 days.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loveadeal55
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our family of 5 used a king suite (teen girls slept in sofa bed and son in king bed with us). It worked for us for the one night and we used our free rewards night so only paid 5.00. Otherwise we may have stayed elsewhere. When we first entered the room it smelled musty or like a wet dog. Then I realized it must have been a dog smell because I saw several guests with dogs in the hotel. One guest actually brushed their dog in the parking lot and left HUGE mounds of dog hair....enough to make another big dog! Not the fault of the hotel at all but the guy should have at least put all the hair in the garbage. Breakfast was good, pool was ok. And about the smell... we quickly got used it! After going out for dinner and coming back we didn't notice it....thankfully!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Monsey, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I was extremely pleased with my stay here. We only stayed one night, but everything was great. The hotel is nonsmoking, the beds clean and fresh, lots of channels on the TV. No one was using the indoor pool, so we had a great time there as well. Coffee was available in the room. Pets are allowed, but you wouldn't know it except for all the dogs walking around!! Staff was very nice and replaced our room keys when we lost them within 5 minutes of arriving. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Look online for the best deal, then call.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank leahmalka613
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed here before and was thrilled with the room, so this time when I went up to the room and opened the door and smelled mold or smoke or something, I went right back to the front desk and asked for a different room. The front desk clerk appologized and quickly moved me to another room.

The second room smelled fine, has comfy beds, but the fridge was not working very well. I thought it seemed warm so kept my yogurt in my cooler on ice, and glad I did. I tried several settings but my drinks did not get very cold. I also don't like that it has no freezer compartment, when I travel I like to freeze bottles of water and ice packs for the trip. This was a fridge only.

Rooms have a single serve coffee maker, but they only leave you one packet of coffee, so the second person is out of luck!! Fortunately the breakfast area is well stocked and even has flavored coffee creamers, hot food, cereal, etc. However their front desk staff is also expected to keep up with the breakfast area which is hard and the poor woman was running hard to take care of both.

Interior corridors and indoor pool but I did not go to the pool.

I really appreciate that LaQuinta allows dogs. there is a nice grass hill in front of the hotel to walk the dogs, however no trash cans other than right by the front door. so I took my dog clean up bags around back to the dumpster. The side door of the hotel is no longer working.

Overall this hotel is starting to show its age. I had a free night stay so can't complain about the rate. But if you have to pay, and are staying on I 81 northbound try the Roanoke Salem Laquinta location - it was outstanding!!!!

Room Tip: upper floor, front of hotel has view of hills
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Rancho Mirage, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

So you are driving across the country? You need to stop in the beautiful VA mountains on route south on 81? Perhaps you have a dog and cannot stay at a higher end property? THEN THIS ONE IS FOR YOU.
I tend to stay in only the best hotels around the world. La Quinta is often the only choice when travel with the dog is an issue. Many La Quintas are nasty properties in poor locations. This one is totall adequate. Clean, Good AC. excellent location above the highway with a view. Great parking lot. Seemed secure. Mediocre breakfast. Good rate...a few places to eat just near by.......It was totally fine....Keep this one on your OK list.
I cross reference travelwithpet.com and trip advisor...BUT i also always call the best hotel properties in the areas that i need to go to...I act dumb about them not taking dogs...and often the front desk will recommned the best property for us.

Room Tip: do not stay on the first floor near the breakfastm
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Irvinggetthecar
Greer, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Virginia Tech for our son's graduation.
This hotel was very clean, bed was comfortable. The staff was polite and professional.
The breakfast was very good.
We would definitely stay at this hotel again, even though it is a bit pricey.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family