“Wonderful, Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Narrow Passage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Inn at Narrow Passage
You added Inn at Narrow Passage to your Saves list
PO Box 608, Woodstock, VA 22664   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Stafford Va
“Wonderful, Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Our weekend at the Inn was fantastic. Although I was alone all day, as I had arranged fly fishing lessons for my husband Bill, a gift for Father's Day. The problem was he needed the car, so I was forced to relax (for me that is difficult). I was very surprised how much I loved the scenery, location and peace and quiet. Watched two movies, read two books and enjoyed the sunshine on the porch. Breakfast served with a smile and the personal touch was a great start of the day.
The Inn Keepers are the best. I personally want to thank them for taking care of me while I was stranded, but what a GREAT PLACE to be stranded at.
Thanks again for great weekend and making us feel like family and thanks again for the coffee Ed. We will see you again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

My husband and I were looking for a 3 day getaway not far from the city where we could relax and enjoy some time together. We are in our 20s and just wanted something quiet where we could do some cycling and maybe some hiking. I booked at the Inn at Narrow Passage mostly because other places didn't have availability or had really bad reviews. This was one of the best hotel stays we've ever had. The historic Inn was absolutely charming on the outside. It has tons of character and is situated right on the Shenandoah river. Adirondack chairs set on the lawn provided a great place to sip wine in the evenings and watch the sun go down. The yard is well kept with flower gardens in abundance. Most rooms have a covered porch with two chairs sitting outside. We sat out on the porch and watched a spring rain in the evening one night. There is a common area with tons of magazines to peruse no matter what your interest as well as free soda and snacks. They also had free cookies set out which really hit the spot after dinner in the evenings. Breakfast was great in the mornings. Breakfast is in a large dining room and we had the opportunity to meet lots of other nice people that were also staying at the Inn. Breakfast featured fresh fruit, warm scones, assorted coffee cakes, and a main entree which was eggs and bacon one day and french toast and sausage the other day. The bacon was some of the best I've ever had. They also had cereal, OJ, granola, yogurt, and tea if you preferred a smaller meal.

The rooms were simple and decorated in an older country style but they were cozy and clean which is my number one requirement. I wasn't thrilled with the decor by the pictures online as I'm more of an IKEA person myself, but it fit in with the surroundings and was kind of charming. There was satellite TV as well as a mini-fridge and a hair dryer which was great because I left mine at home. It is an older inn but they still had a lot of modern conveniences that I wasn't expecting but appreciated.

Ed the inn-keeper is very friendly and helpful and pointed us in the direction of really good local food. We ate at Joe's steakhouse the first night and The spring house tavern the second night. Both were wonderful. We love meeting people on our vacations and having a local to recommend activities and restaurants. Ed was great for this.

Our first day, we spent the day cycling 70 miles. The inn is a great place to start from if you're in the area for cycling. There are great country roads around the inn. The second day we went horseback riding which was exciting and on the third day we did Luray caverns. Ed was nice enough to make sandwhiches for us to take on our trail ride. We also went for an evening walk down the street that the Inn is situated on. There is a foot bridge across the river right next to the Inn that was a lot of fun to walk across.

We drove by a civil war re-enactment in a neighboring town and stopped at a charming local coffee shop another evening. While we didn't go to a vineyard, there are several in the area and if you're a cyclist, there are several within biking distance. We are saving that for next time. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

The Inn at Narrow Passage is a charming place to stay and I would recommend it to others, the main qualm with this B&B is the room rate. The room was a nice size, clean and tastefully decorated (though a little dated). A big plus about the room/Inn is the free wifi. I had no trouble connecting and using the wireless network provided by the inn. The bathroom was of decent size, the sink area was a bit cramped, though. In addition, there were some plumbing issues that required some time with a plunger. The breakfast did not have a spectacular selection -- more like a continental buffet style, but very tasty. The grounds were possibly the best attribute considering the appearance and the history. There is one thing potential visitors should be aware of -- Rte. 11. The road noise from Rte. 11 is noticible, albeit the most noticble during the day. The owners were very hospitable and accommodating, in particular our late check-in and late check-out. With all that said, I think I would be more forgiving of the toilet, breakfast, road noise; etc, if the room rate was a bit less.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

As we were traveling south on I-81, my husband and I decided to call it a night and finish our journey the following day. Unfortunately, the pickings are slim with regards to hotels in western Virginia and many of the smaller inns and B&B's do not allow children (we have a 6 year old). I did a quick internet search and found the Inn at Narrow Passage, made a phone call and were checked into our spacious room about 15 minutes later. The innkeepers treated us as members of their own family. The room was comfortable, the grounds a delight and the breakfast, delicious. Remember, this is a small Inn, if you are looking for a pool and little bottles of shampoo, go to the Hampton Inn down the road. If you are looking for class and history, the Inn at Narrow Passage is for you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Having visited The Inn at Narrow Passage some years ago, we knew what to expect when we made our reservations. The innkeepers, Ed and Ellen Markel, are friendly , gracious and helpful. They made us feel quite at home, allmost a part of the family. Our queen canopy bed was comfortable and the working fireplace was a special treat, since the evenings were chilly outside. Our primary objective in this trip was to have some "down-time" from helping to raise two grandaughters.We explored the area part of each day, then came back to the Inn to read(uninterrupted!) relax and/or nap. This was truly the get-away we had hoped for. We found the serviuce to be exceptional and personal, not what you would find in a hotel/motel. It was so nice to return to a room made neat and clean by the maid service. I think what we liked most was the serenity, and the friendliness of Ed and Ellen. We look forward to an opportunity to visit them again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My husband I just returned from our third stay at the Inn at Narrow Passage in Woodstock, Virginia. We look forward to going back because we know that we will be welcomed warmly by Inn Keepers Ed and Ellen Markel and that our stay with them will be wonderful each time!
The Inn is perfectly located in the Shenandoah Valley for our needs. We love checking out all of the historical, fun towns in the area - there's plenty of antiques, wine orchards, good places to eat and the beauty of nature surrounds us. Ed always greets his guests in a personal, friendly and accomodating way that makes you feel right at home. We have always found him to be helpful with information for planning our stay and he serves a delicious breakfast that begins our day in a pleasant way. We think he's the best Inn Keeper we've ever known - and we have stayed with
several! The Inn is clean with comfortable furnishings for relaxing, peaceful days or nights - romantic canopy beds, a fireplace and a porch that's perfect for star gazing at night!
We spent part of our time this year attending a Civil War Reenactment at Cedar Creek Battlefield. The event was very informative and interesting. My husband and I both enjoyed our day and we look forward to attending again in the future. We always find new places to visit in the area but we have a few favorites that are included during our stay at the Inn.
The rest of our three night stay we spent touring the backroads and relaxing at the Inn. We will always make the Inn at Narrow Passage a place we return to when we feel the Shenandoah Valley calling to us - a peaceful respite from a hurried, hectic world!
Thank you Ed and Ellen for pouring your heart and lives into your Inn so that others can take a break from the rest of the world and come to your "home" where they can feel peaceful and pamered! We are already looking forward to planning our next visit with you!!

• Liked — Romantic rooms - great food!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

My husband and I went last weekend. We wanted a restful place with a cozy atmosphere, an atmosphere that would inspire us to do nothing but rest...or explore. That's just what The Inn at Narrow Passage afforded us. From the initial phone conversation with Ed, the emails to Ellen (the inn owners and keepers) to the sweet mountain breezes, we were not disappointed. Our room was cozy and shared a terrace with one other room (rooms S3 and S4. You can view the rooms at http://picasaweb.google.com/MagistrArt.) We enjoyed sitting on the porch, and the breakfasts were delicious. We burned up Highway 11 traveling from Edinburgh to Mt. Jackson to Woodstock to Strasbourg. We attended a festival and went horseback riding at Fort Valley Ranch just 20 minutes from the inn. There is a swinging bridge near the inn that was great to walk across and photograph. I LOVED the fireplace in my room. Not all the rooms have fireplaces. I think one of the best ways to enjoy a stay anywhere is to ask questions, so you know just what to expect. I rate this inn, its atmosphere, and the hospitailtiy above average. If there is one tiny drawback, it would be the highway traffic sounds from Highway 11 just behind the inn; however, the sounds seemed to fade into the background as the atmosphere relaxed me so. Also, I found myself fascinated wondering about the wagon trail Highway 11 used to be. We will definitely go back.

• Liked — The fireplace in my bedroom, colonial charm, porches everywhere!
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Inn at Narrow Passage? Share your experiences!