“Buffet was above average but could use more variety” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 241 Restaurants in Woodbridge
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Buffet, Late Night
Woodbridge
“Buffet was above average but could use more variety”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Overall, for about $10, the buffet here is better than the one at the other Indian food restaurant in Woodbridge. Not to mention the atmosphere and cleanliness here is way better than the other place. I was out running errands before an appointment and knew from experience I could get in and out of Taste of Tandoor in an hour if I went with the buffet. It was 2:00; the weekend lunch buffet ended at 3:00.

The buffet comes with a large, freshly made naan, which is brought to your table a few minutes after you order the buffet. There is always lettuce salad available, but I usually skip it because it's straight out of a bag and nothing special. On the buffet today was pakora, rice, butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, mixed vegetables, spinach with potatoes, and lentils. There was a container for tandori chicken, but in the hour I was there, they never put any out. Several of the other containers were almost empty (there was a lot of sauce left in both of the chicken dish containers, but you had to search for the chicken). The chcken in both dishes was nearing the over done stage. From past experience, it was probably perfect when it was first placed in the warmer, but after a while, it was moving from tender to overdone. The pakora was very good, obviously fresh as the breading was tender and in no way greasy. The chicken sauces were good, with little to no grease. Considering there was supposed to be tandori chicken, I think substituting something else for at least one of the chicken dishes (goat, fish, pork, etc.) would be a good idea. The spinach with potatoes was very good (I added a bit of salt to my portion); I didn't try the mixed vegetables, and the lentils (Dal) was average (for some reason it was the only item on the buffet that wasn't hot, just barely lukewarm). The green chutney and raita (yogurt/cucumber sauce) were good. I also ordered a mango lassi, which was very good and quite refreshing. My water glass was always refilled promptly and my used plates and bowls were removed before I returned to the table after another visit to the buffet. There is also the common Indian dessert made from vermicelli; they serve their version cold. It was average, in my opinion.

Overall, I was disappointed in the choices and think when it gets close to the end of a buffet, the kitchen doesn't pay attention to the amount of food available to customers. When I was there, the restaurant was about 75% full. All of the booths were full as were several of the center tables. I believe everyone was eating from the buffet, so I think they should have more food out if they want return customers. As mentioned above, I would have liked some tandori chicken, but as with most buffets, I went back for more and then became full and forgot about asking someone about the tandori chicken.

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Woodbridge, VA
““After all these years, still my favorite restaurant when dining in Woodbridge.””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

After all these years, still my favorite restaurant when dining in Woodbridge, VA - a true Gem.

My family and I have loyally dined at Taste of Tandoor over the past twelve years.

Excellent quality food, service, location, parking, attention to detail, cleanliness and value.

It is always a pleasure to dine with Taste of Tandoor.

I have had Indian Cuisine in Miami, San Diego, Alexandria, Ventura County and Tampa Bay Area and I still have not found a taste superior to that of Taste of Tandoor.

Another plus is the very low turnover in management, servers and no adolescents running the place.

Also, you won't find the differed maintenance characteristic of so many Mon and Pop restaurants across the country.

The owner runs-a-tight-ship!

Jesus Brito

• Visited March 2011
IMG_0020.JPG
“Family style restaurant w/family prices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011 via mobile

Food cooked to order or buffet option. One of my favorite restaurants in Woodbridge.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stay away if you are looking for authentic Indian food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

If you know what Indian food tastes like you would know how pathetic this place is. Overly priced their food has no taste. Ask them to make Indian spicy and all they do is pour lots of red chili powder. We have eaten couple of times only bcoz there is no other Indian options in woodbridge. Once in Tandoori chicken the chicken was not cooked. Their buffet for 11$ hardly serves anything. Vegetable curries are way too oily.

Infact after my meal last night with uncooked chicken, tasteless chicken vindaloo, and burnt naan I am done with this place. Pease avoid and use your money elsewhere.

Woodbridge
“This is our FAVORITE restaurant in P.W. County !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

We absolutely love this restaurant. The food is so satisfying, not too hot but nicely spiced flavor (you can custom order to YOUR taste buds) . The atmosphere is relaxing and pleasant where one would feel good about being on a date. The owner is a very accommodating friendly Indian gentleman who makes a sincere effort to meet you and make sure you had a great experience (unusual these days that an owner extends himself). My wife and I enjoy the attentive service and the white-starched tablecloth. Indian background music is pleasant and correct volume. A must try. 95% will return for another tempting dish, and like us, become "regulars" of this flavor of the world !