“They are rapidly getting up to speed” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Portsmouth, Virginia
“They are rapidly getting up to speed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

PF Chang's in the Potomac Town Place opened this past fall. Mr. and I went within the first 2 weeks they were open, and there was still a lot of "gelling" left to do. The lettuce wraps we ordered were delivered without any type of silverware by which to make them up, and the waitress disappeared so long they were stone cold when she finally brought us a spoon. The spicy condiment mix was not brought until we asked for it, and everything took a long time to get to our table. If I remember correctly, everything then came out at once. The waitress seemed a little overwhelmed. We chalked it up to being a brand new location, waited a while, and tried it again. Much better. Much more like the other locations with regard to excellent service, great cadence, and an overall pleasant experience. I was a little surprised initially with the comparatively stark interior, because I do enjoy the more busy and chalk full of natural elements interiors of the other PF Chang's I've visited, but the great food and service by far overshadows that. Definitely a "go to". Now, if the darn locals would quit swamping the place so that we could get a seat without an hour wait..... My ratings reflect the restaurant at present, and not the first visit which was unfortunately sub par.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“A disappointing experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Lots of hype for this restaurant...huge crowds...to match the collossal war horses guarding the entrance...We try to go on a Saturday night but were told the wait was up to 2 hours...so we went back several days later on a week day at 3:30...it was still pretty busy but at least we were able to get a table...The furnishings and wall decorations are impressive...new, modern ecletically Asian...the wait staff was ok...not particularly efficient, but not sloppy either...certainly not warm and welcoming but not cold...the word robotic comes to mind...the menu is adequate but not flashy...the food is simple poor...presentation is uninspired...and the quality and taste is well below what we had anticipated...on par with canned chow mein meals you can buy in the international food section of the local Giant....Noise levels were also very high...music blaring and the restaurant design such that it seems no effort whatsoever to dampan noise or facilitate conversation....I do not recommend it....

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“I love the Green Beans!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've eaten at several P.F. Changs and the one in Woodbridge did not disappoint. We ordered the two for $40 meal. I had egg drop soup while my husband had the hot and sour soup. It came very quickly and we were both happy with our choices. As usual we ordered the crispy green beans as an appetizer. The also came out quickly and were fresh out of the fryer. The tempura batter is always perfect but we found them less salty than usual.

Our meal took longer to arrive than I would have liked. It was the middle of Sunday afternoon and the restaurant was somewhat empty so I'm not sure why it took so long. I enjoyed the pepper steak and my husband had a shrimp dish. I felt that our portions were smaller as I was able to clean my plate and normally I have a good portion of left overs.

For dessert I had the salted caramel cake and my husband had the peanut butter dessert. I did not like the salted caramel cake and would not order it again.

The service was good but there were several tables that needed bussed.

I would go back to eat here again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hollywood, Florida
“Very pleased”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed the customer service. From the greeter to the manager on duty coming to personally check on our satisfaction, that was awesome. I must confess, that I was so satisfied with my food that I never did ask my company how they enjoyed their meal. Sorry friend. I hope you enjoyed your meal as much as I did.

My party and I started out with spring roll appetizers. They were crisp, not greasy and the vegetable fresh and crunchy. The various sauces and the spring roll itself were scrumptious.

I had a non alcoholic drink name Auntie Chang's Frappe and oh!, I thought I died and went to heaven! It had pineapple, banana, strawberries, orange and honey and honey let me tell you!!!, now, that drink, I would buy in the grocery store if they sold it as a mix. I would go back to the resturant just for a few of those drinks alone. It was that good!

There was a mixup in my food order. When the food came out and the waiter and I checked, sure enough there were three similar dishes with same name: Asian Grilled Norwegian Salmon, Lemongrass grilled norwegian salmon, and Norwegian salmon steamed with ginger. I thought I ordered the latter. My error was just saying Norwegian salmon. The waiter was all to willing to rectify the situation but because of time and me feeling it was my error, I was satisfied to eat the "mistake" and what a delicious mistake it was. I was served the Asian grilled salmon and I am sooo glad I was wrong!! The salmon was delicious and the asparagus was equally the same. The meal came with complimentary white or brown rice. The serving portion was perfect or I was just starving but I ate the whole thing!!

Of course, I had dessert! I had the flourless chocolate dome cake with fresh berries and raspberry sauce on the side. Ok, I don't know what I was thinking when I thought about ordering flourless but when I saw the mound of chocolate, I was in trouble. Yes, it was delectable but too heavy for me. The berries and the raspberry sauce made it more palatable and again I could have eaten the fruit and sauce as a dessert by itself. I was not able to finish the dessert and took it home. It was just so rich to eat in one sitting but a woman never leaves chocolate behind. You can be sure it was devoured the next day.

I am definitely going back! Maybe not that location but whatever town I am in, I have to compare the bartender's version of Auntie Chang's Frappe and maybe this time I will order correctly and taste the Norwegian Salmon Steamed with ginger meal or maybe I will continue to order "wrong" and get the comparison version of Asian Grilled Norwegian Salmon again.

Thanks again to all, including the cooks, of course and all who keep the restuarant looking so elegant. Great experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Good food & service, gluten free friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We Went to PF Changs for the first time tonight. We had a group of 6 people, 1 of whom has a gluten allergy.
We chose PF Changs in part because they have a a gluten free menu. Unlike many places that have a few bland gluten free options PF Changs has gluten free versions of many of the regular menu items. we where impressed with the food quality of the food that we tried ( lettuce wraps for an ap and spices chicken with rice for dinner). Over food quality was good and the prices seemed reasonable for the amount and quality of the food. Our server was prompt and courteous and never let our drinks run out. My only complaint is that the place was loud and I had a hard time carrying on a conversation with those not seated directly by me.