“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Woodbridge
Newburgh, New York
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Visited the area with extended family for my son's graduation at Quantico Officer Candidate School. This was a "blind": reservation since I had never been to this area in Va., Staff was helpful, rooms were clean, comfortable, and smoke free. Breakfast was served daily with choices of hot/cold cereals, eggs, bacon, waffles, bagels, danish, various choices of coffees and juices available 24 hours a day. Area was convenient for access to Marine Base/I95 as well as restaurants, and malls, some within walking distance. We will have a need to be back within the next year and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BWSpringfield, General Manager at Best Western Potomac Mills, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear PatriciaGS596
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Best Western Potomac Mills. The Best Western Potomac Mills strive daily in our efforts to lead the industry in customer. I am thrilled to know we are making positive stride toward that goal. I will be sure to share your comments with the team.
At your service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My girl friend and I check-in around 5:30 pm on August 10th. We leave the room about an hour later to attend some family reunion functions hosted in Dumfries, VA. The festivities were held in a lounge and later that night we went to a nightclub where it was really smokey. So we leave the club with a couple of our family members and go back to our room. Security comes to the room saying that a guest has complained that we are too loud. So we immediately ask our relatives to leave the room while security is still present. An hour later while my boyfriend is passed out sleep someone attempts to enter the room. It was a good thing we had the security latch on or the staff would have gotten an eye full. The staff comes back to the room a couple more times, but I was afraid to open the door because my boyfriend wouldn’t wake up and I didn’t know if the security guard was up to something. The next morning a manager comes to the door and my boyfriend asks him to come back in about an hour to give us time to get dressed. We wait until 11:00 am and no one shows up so we leave again for our family reunion functions. When we return to the hotel late in the afternoon to find that we are locked out of our room. When we speak to management he says that if we pay a $400 smoking fee then we can return to our room. We refused to pay the fee since neither myself nor my boyfriend smoke and no one has smoked in our room since we had been there. The manager advised us that someone reported smoke in the hallway by our room. We told the manager that security did come to our room because of a complaint concerning the noise level. We asked our guests to leave while security was present and he never said anything about smoke. We asked the manager to come up to the room with us to confirm these accusations of a smoke smell. He went on to tell us that even if our clothes smelled smokey that night after the club they still have the right to charge us $400. Needless to say we refused pay the $400, but the manager would not refund the next day’s payment (80 some dollars) and they charged our card another $75. When I asked what right they have to just go a charge my card $75 they stated that they have to get what they can get towards the $400. So now my boyfriend and I are out of over $160 for no reason at all. We have no money for gas to get home to Hampton, VA and no where to stay for the night.

Dear RayZ45
Thank you for your comments. Our mission statement is to ensure the best value to each guest while consistently delivering genuine customer service in an environment that is consistently friendly and caring. We serve hundreds of customers daily with focus on that mission. I regret in this instance we did not achieve that.

At your service!!
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

On August 11th a member of the Best Western staff attempted to enter my room repeatedly with a master key after 3:00 am. When I asked management the next day what that was all about they advised me that it is not their policy, however, they can attempt an eviction at any time of day.

Long story short. My bf and I check-in around 5:30 pm on 8/10 we leave the room about an hour later to attend some family reunion functions. Later that night we go to a club where it was really smokey. So we leave the club with a couple of our family members and go back to our room. Security comes to the room saying that a guest complain that we are too loud. So we immediately ask our relatives to leave the room. An hour later while my bf is passed out sleep someone attempts to enter the room. It was a good thing we had the security latch on or the staff would have gotten an eye full. The we leave again for FR functions and return to the hotel late in the afternoon to find that we are locked out of our room. When we speak to management he says that if we pay a $400 smoking fee then we can return to our room. We refused to pay the fee since neither myself or my bf smoke and no one smoked in our room. We asked the manager to come up to the room with us to confirm these accusations of a smoke smell. He went on to tell us that even if our clothes smelled smokey that night after the club they still have the right to charge us $400. Needless to say we did not pay the $400. But they would not refund the next days payment and they charged our card $75.

For the money the room could have been better but after that experience i will never stay at a Best Western ever again in life. I travel twice a month for work and i will be sure to add BW to my list of hotels that are a complete NO GO. This review will be followed up by an email to their HQ.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. The location is close to the mall but nothing else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear FregFlyerQue

At your service!!
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I booked a reservation for one night to visit our son at USMC Quantico, I was embarrassed ! We used Travelocity and prepaid for the room. Upon arrival was asked for a credit card for incidentals, Then I was informed there would be an additional hold of $200.00 because the reservation was through a third party This is absurd!

At checkout I asked when the hold would be released and was told "three or four days"

I spent the whole trip wondering what extra charges would be applied without consent.

I will AVOID this chain at all costs. !

Dear Frank M

At your service!
Disputanta, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked a "Business Plus" room online and was happily surprised with the large room-including a "sitting area" complete with couch, chair, desk, microwave, and refrigerator. The staff was friendly and helpful. We will return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chrisg
At your service
sanantonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Price was high but I can say other things make up for it!! Good breakfast, Swimming pool is cool with lifeguard lots of restraunts in the area!! close to the highway!! Elevators suck, always get stuck!! small rooms!!

Room Tip: Stay on first floor!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Mount Jackson, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The hotel was much nicer than I expected for the price we paid. It was very clean, the staff was very professional, the room was very inviting, lots of towels, even ones shaped like swans for us! Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Even though the property is older, because it was so clean and well kept it felt new.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BWSpringfield, General Manager at Best Western Potomac Mills, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Carrie S,
Thank you for your comments, I will be sure to share it with the team that gets up every day with a singular purpose to lead the industry in customer care with unsurpassed value.

Been to Best Western Potomac Mills? Share your experiences!