“Great Intermediate Ski Instruction” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Skiing, Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Year round recreation area located in the Blue Ridge offers a wide variety of outdoor recreation, from golf and tennis in the summer, to skiing and snowboarding in the winter.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Great Intermediate Ski Instruction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I wish I could remember the name of the awesome woman who instructed me. I first went to the beginner class but was told no, I needed to go to intermediate as I skiid into the lesson (I guess since I could already stand up on skis I needed more advanced lessons!). So I skiid for a few hours (very uncomfortable and scared and ready to give up as I kept falling) then went to my lesson. my instructor (forget her name but she was my age and very professional and friendly and helpful) got me in the learning area and showed me a few things such as proper stance, to grab my knees if I get wobbly, and how to turn properly and stop. She was so great! After some practice turns and having me hold her 't-bar' while she skiid backwards, she got me on the potato patch and really encouraged me! I felt so great - not scared at all (okay maybe a little scared but she really reassured me). She showed me how to turn and how to stay in that turn when I felt I may be going too fast and really needed to just stop for a moment (I never knew how to do this before!) She really made a difference in my ski experience - before I did my lesson I was ready to quit and just sit on the bus until everyone else in our group (50+) were ready to leave a few hours later. I have to say hands down this is the best most professional ski instruction I have ever received ( I have been to ski hills before and received beginner lessons as part of my package - but this was the first time I ever was given intermediate lessons which really helped my confidence on the hill). Due to the lessons I was given, and the fun we had on the hill, we will be back for more! (and I made it down from the top after my lessons without FALLING!!!! I just kept turning and turning and pausing, and it felt wonderful! And on another note - the food and drinks were very reasonably priced - the Jamaican guys in the Checkerberry Cabin were awesome - so friendly and very helpful! Very professional in their service! Cannot wait til we can be back at Wintergreen!

Visited February 2014

Lynchburg, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Great for the occasional visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband goes to Wintergreen at least once a year to ski and I try to do the same. For the area, the slopes are pretty decent. We went after it had snowed 3 days prior and according to the staff it was the busiest they had been all season. We ended up parking in an obscure location but the free shuttle buses kept it from being an issue. If we would have had to walk that would have been a problem.

Wintergreen could do a slightly better job of keeping the parking areas more snow free. My husband got the truck stuck in snow but Wintergreen does offer a free service where they bring a backhoe and pull your vehicle. We had a shuttle driver call it in and within 10 minutes the backhoe had arrived and pulled us out. Very nice!

Tickets are a bit expensive for the weekend in my opinion. We went night skiing instead and also got a 20% military discount. Still, with rentals it cost us over a $100 including discount. Not terrible but not great either.

Like I said, it was fairly crowded that day, so the chair lift lines were generally long and had a 5-10 minutes wait. The slopes were a little icy and could be better marked. Overall, we enjoy going once a year for skiing and will come back next year.

Visited February 2014
Greensboro
7 attraction reviews
“Nice report but the ski school is unorganized.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

I took my 7 year old son to Wintergreen this week. It had been a number of years since I had been there and the first time with my child. We stayed in one of the studio rooms near the slopes. It was actually nicer than I expected...I bit undersold on their website in my opinion. We ate at The Edge restaurant and it was very good. The biggest issue we had was the ridgely ski program. First there is no online registration which is crazy during this day and time. Secondly, I had to call a least 5 times before I could get someone to answer. I had also left a message with no return call. Checkin for the school program was a cluster you know what. Proper forms were not available and his gear wasn't already in his locker as promised. I was also disappointed in the instruction itself. My son, who has taken lessons 2 other times in the past was put into a group with kids that had never skied before. Basically he stayed on a relatively flat surface while at his previous lesson at another ski resort he was skiing the greens and riding the lifts. So a waste of $100 in my mind. When the lessons were done I thought I could take him out to see what he had learned but they wanted to charge an additional $20 which is ridiculous. We decided to go tubing instead only to find out the park was closed even though all the paperwork I was given said it opened at 1. Overall the resort and restaurants are nice. The ski school is awful and needs a total overhaul.

Scotland
8 attraction reviews
“Nice place but a little overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I spent a long weekend at Wintergreen in late January with my son who is a competent skier. The drive from Waynesboro, where we were accommodated, was around 35 minutes; the initial drive from Virginia Beach was around 3.5 hours.

On arriving at the resort we found the area to be well signposted with helpful stewards on hand to direct traffic to the appropriate parking areas.

The main ticket office where the rentals are located is serviced by a free shuttle bus. For those arriving already equipped there is a lower ticket office next to an access slope which was very handy.

For the size of the ski area I thought the weekend tickets were expensive. Teens are considered adults and youth tickets aren't much cheaper.

That said, the snow conditions on the 24 runs were very good. Biased towards the black diamond (red) end of the spectrum, the resorts pistes are quite wide and, until later in the day, covered in excellent grippy snow (during our visit which was preceded by a snow storm).

The chairlift queues were reasonably quiet where black runs were serviced but really busy on the blue side of the mountain, as would be expected.

Only one run is assessed as double black diamond but, apart from a little ice, was at the easy end of the DBD spectrum.

Food in the on-site restaurant was good with a wait of around 30 minutes for a table.

Overall, I would recommend the resort for a weekend but not a full week due to the size of the resort but black diamond skiers especially will enjoy skiing at Wintergreen for a day or two.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Great getaway, great for kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We rented a 2bd, 2bth condo over New Years. We skied a couple days and went tubing at "The Plunge". Accommodations were great. The rental gave us access to the gym and indoor pool which was nice after a day of skiing. The skiing and tubing were a lot of fun. Highly recommended.