“Last minute trip to wintergreen” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
You added Wintergreen Resort to your Saves list
Route 664, PO Box 706, Wintergreen, VA 22958   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Winter Escape Package
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, United States
“Last minute trip to wintergreen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Awesome location right on the slopes. Staff very friendly and helpful. Perfect weekend with my 11 year old twins. The Edge restaurant was a favorite for meals. Right in the slopes. Will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013
DirectorofLodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Terri T

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that it we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We spent last week end at Wintergreen and were absolutely thrilled. Ski resorts can be such a hassle but everything is made very easy at Wintergreen. We bought a package deal which included a studio/lift tickets/discount on rentals. The studio was fantastic: overlooking the slopes, clean and felt like home with everything you needed in the kitchenette. You have a storage area for your skis in the building so it is extremely convenient. All cars have to park in designated area so it is very nice not to see or hear cars too much.
I also appreciated the resort by itself with specific areas for beginners, intermediate and advanced skiers. We'll be back next year!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room overlooking the slopes and not the street. Having the kitchenette was great...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nebu_06

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back
Glen Allen, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bed / 2 bath condo about a mile from the main lodge. It was decent, a bit dated for the fee of $550 per night, clean and roomy. There were shuttle busses that stopped at the end of each cul-de-sac to transport you to the ski area. This was nice because 4 of us did not have to coordinate our ride back to the condo. I highly suggest that you bring groceries before entering the resort. There is one little convenience store. One night we ordered pizza from there and it was good. The restaurants around the resort are good as well. I didn't have any poor meals.

This was the first time skiing for 3 out of 4 of us. We took a lesson on the first day. It was absolutely terrible. The only thing I learned that was useful is how to put on my skis and take them off after I fall. They did not prepare anyone for the potato patch. Everyone in my training class was complaining. There were too many kids in my way and I made myself fall every time to avoid hitting a kid! This was not a good experience. They need to have a designated hill for practicing. They also need to organize the ski traffic better. This place is only good for the experienced skier. Don’t visit on the weekend if you are a beginner.

I would never return unless it was during the week when all of the kids are in school AND if I had a private lesson.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DirectorofLodging, Dear Beth S at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest. I have forwarded your review to our ski operations manager so that they can review the ski lessons so that they are an added value to our guest experiences while on the slope learning to ski. If you would like to discuss your experience, I would be happy to learn more about your experience so that I can share some specifics with the ski team. We look forward to welcoming you back
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Took the kids for a last minute quick trip, it was the last week of the ski season. It was quiet, and the price was great due to a special package rate for the end of the season. Had an issue that the management was quick to resolve, which I really appreciated. Would definitely go back and would also recommend.

Dear SunnyDaiz,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that it we once again made a memorable experience for you and that your concerns were resolved with management. We look forward to welcoming you back
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Took the family out skiing for a quick getaway from the Hampton Roads area, and it was great.

1. Lodging - we stayed in the lodge and got a package deal - 229 for a family of four and it included the lift tickets. Since lift tickets run about 50 bucks a piece - basically we paid 129 for the lodging and then 100 for the tickets. Either way - I thought this was a great deal. The room was large - downstairs living room and kitchen and upstairs loft and bathroom. Balcony overlooking the mountain, and access to a locker for your skis and poles. Only complaint was the overstuffed pillows made sleeping a bear.

2. Location - the lodge is literally right on the slopes. So in the morning - we put on our boots, walked to our complimentary locker, got our skis and hit the first trail right as it opened. To come in - we just walked right off the slope and into our room. Fantastic. A condo might have given us more space or moved us closer to the indoor pool, but for skiing I would go with the lodge.

3. Timing - we went on a Sunday afternoon - pulled the kids out of school on MON and left MON night. It was perfect. When we arrived SUN - we could tell it had been a busy weekend, but was winding down. SUN night the place was a ghost-town and we had the run of the resort to ourselves. MON skiing was not crowded at all, and half the families we met had done the exact same thing we had done by pulling the kids out of school.

4. Restaurants. We ate at the Edge on the property SUN night, and it was fast and good. Sort of a Bar and Grill feel. The waiter, Gerry, was great and the food was good and well priced. MON during the skiing we ate at the cafeteria at the slopes. Like any ski resort - it was overpriced pizza, burgers, and chicken sandwiches. $40 for a family of four to get a burger, fries, and drink each. But for location and convenience, who cares.

5. Lessons - this is the only area I was dissapointed in. My wife and I have skis and are proficient. We rented skis for the kids, which was the most effecient ski rental I have ever seen. With the rentals you get half priced lessons. We signed our older daughter up for "intermediate" lessons which cost more, and our youngest for "beginner" which was cheaper. When the lesson started, the instructors basically clumped all the kids together and did one big lesson with only one instructor for the group of 6-12 year olds. Basically, my older daughter was bored, and my younger daughter was not properly instructed on the basics/beginner needs. There was no shortage of instructors, so I'm not sure why they just took the easy route and clumped all the kids together - and why they cost differently if they are going to do that. If you have the money, maybe do a private lesson.

As it turns to spring - you probably have two weeks left from today - MAR 11, 2013 to hit it before it all melts away. The staff, location, and value of this resort cannot be beat. If I went again, I'd like to check out the indoor pool, but we just ran out of time.

Room Tip: Angle for the lodge or the condos along the terrain park. Ski in and Ski out.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DirectorofLodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear ClintonA,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Wintergreen and found everything you needed to make the trip a good experience. .Although you encountered an issue with the ski school instruction, I hope this will not deter you from visiting Wintergreen again in the near future. I have communicated your comments about the ski instructors approach to the appropriate manager so that this does not occur in the future. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that it we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back.
midlothian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My son has been going to the Treehouse ski school at Wintergreen since the end of December-he is 6. He loves it as well as the instructors and the staff that work there. We have had the most positive experience and my son is already skiing down Black Diamond rated slopes! He has learned so much and the staff are so caring and nurturing-I have never had any problems what so ever at the ski school. I also stay in a condo that is right on the beginner slope where all the children are taught and the instructors are so very wonderful and patient-the kids have NEVER been left sitting on the ground more than a minute or 2-they want the children to learn how to get up on their own-it isn't even possible to let a child sit for a long period of time in the first place as other kids are skiing down the slope.

I would highly recommend anyone bring their children up to Wintergreen to learn to ski! As a matter of fact, I have referred many friends up here and every single family has loved it! I can not recommend enough the Treehouse ski school at Wintergreen as it is a wonderful, positive and nurturing place for children to learn to ski! Believe me I am a very type A and somewhat smothering Mom and have always been so happy with the treatment my son has received at this ski school! His confidence has grown tremendously which was noticed by his Kindergarten teacher as he talks about it all the time!

Dear kmbowles,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and the Treehouse met your expectationsand that you refer others to us . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that it we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Wintergreen resort to learn how to ski . We very overall very happy with our stay , but felt that room prices were a bit high and the food was ok . Our ski instructor was great and having a private lesson was totally worth it . Overall it was an expensive weekend trip mainly because of the condo room cost. We would come back again .

• Stayed February 2013
DirectorofLodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Yarina C

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. Wintergreen offers many special offers for skiing and lodging packages to make skiing a truly affordable recreation experience. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest and we use our customer feedback to try and offer the best experience to all of our future quests. If I can be of any assistance in your future bookins to ensure you get the best deal we have to offer, please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!