“Great service, food, and company” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Southern Pines, nc
“Great service, food, and company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My 2 friends and I visited this restaurant on a rainy Thursday night looking for some good food and we found it. We all enjoyed our wine and meals from appetizer to dessert! Everything was delicious and tasty. I had the bouillabaisse which had clam, mussel, shrimp, scallops, etc. It was warm and hit the spot on a cold rainy day. The caramel flan was also a winner. The chef and waitress were friendly and service was great. The chef also came by early on in the meal to see how things were. We invited him to have a drink with us so we can ask him about his restaurant; he joined us after our meal and we had a great time. The chef is extremely personable and hilarious.

Winchester, Virginia
“Wonderful meal and service for a party of 26!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Last night we hosted a Meetup dinner for 26 and everyone was pleased and delighted with food and service. Sorry to read some of the low star reviews but we are thrilled this restaurant is in our new hometown. We will be back often and will keep bringing groups. We had a fixed price menu!
Next time for brunch maybe...join us!

Winchester, Virginia
“Reliably wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I'm a Winchester native and cooking enthusiast who has eaten at La Nicoise every 2-3 weeks since it opened. I've had lots of dishes I rate as excellent. Rarely, some have merely been good. The main dishes, salads, and soups taste as if they're made to order, with passion, pride, creativity, and care. I often order fish, seafood and salads, and, to my eye and palate, Ingredients have never been less than fresh. My wife recently ordered a lamb sandwich and declared it one of the best things she'd ever tasted. We found their mushroom appetizer quite wonderful, and are enthusiastic fans of their crab Benedict. I'm a less than adventurous dessert eater, but I often order their excellent creme brulee. The only complaints I find credible have to do with service. Since the restaurant is small, an unanticipated crowd can overwhelm the otherwise attentive waitstaff. And since everything is cooked to order, an unanticipated crowd can overwhelm the kitchen, slowing the arrival of orders. As someone who cooks -- and appreciates cooking -- I don't find these things problematic. It's a price I'm willing to occasionally pay for the kind of cooking La Nicoise offers.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“AS good as anything we recently experienced in France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

What a find in this quiet Virginia country town. We’d recently been in Paris and Dijon for our 30th anniversary, and this restaurant compares favorably with some excellent places we ate at there. In fact, my wife and I found the food and service so good that we decided to have dinner at La Nicoise Cafe on two occasions over our long weekend stay in the area. The owner and our waitress were very attentive and friendly and our meals reasonably priced. We particularly appreciated the relaxing and non-pretentious atmosphere, décor and staff. As far as our food was concerned my wife had mushroom soup and shell fish stuffed flounder the first night – and a pear blue cheese tart and seafood crepe on the second evening – all excellent. I was similarly pleased with my choices. A pate starter and lamb on the first evening, and an exquisite sautéed duck on the second. Our congratulations to the owner and chef.

Round Hill, Virginia
“Finally Need to Stop Going Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and family have eaten at this restaurant 5 or 6 times ....... The first time, a Valentine's Day several years ago, was great. Since then each event has been a different type of disaster. Horrible service, absolutely unprofessional wait staff and sometimes poor food. I have never been in a restaurant that has more drama with unhappy customers and strange employees. If you hit it right it is a charming place, but the odds are against it.
We kept coming back because the owner is a great guy and sometimes the food was exceptional. But we can no longer justify the unhappiness from poor service, incorrect orders and distractions that come from this strange little place.
Good luck to this restaurant. I may stop in for a lunch in a year or so to see if it is still open, but I won't risk this place for any significant night out.

• Visited November 2012