“Very adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Athens, PA
“Very adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had a one night stay here while traveling North on Route 81. It is very close to the highway, easy on and off from the highway. This was our first stay at a Candlewood Suites; I think I expected it to be more upscale, but this is definitely a budget type hotel. Having said that, in comparison to other budget type hotels this was pretty good. Check in was a breeze, desk clerk was friendly. We had a pet which required a $12 (USD) service fee which I felt was very reasonable. Upon entering the room it seemed very stuffy and humid. Once we turned on the AC that dissipated and the room was fine. We had a junior suite, one room with two double beds, small kitchen and bathroom, kitchen bar with two chairs, recliner chair. Beds were very comfortable with nice linens. It was very quiet, could not hear anything from the hallway or other rooms. Everything was in good working order. Could see a few pet guests had done some chewing in the past on some items. Parking was plentiful and free. Did not use the exercise area. Overall, it was a good value for the money, no significant cons.

We did get pizza from a nearby pizzeria called Umberto's, which was located in a strip mall down the road. Great pizza and the other food items I saw when I went to pick up the pizza looked delicious.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear prance,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am very pleased to hear that your check- in went smooth and that you found our room clean and comfortable. It is always hugely motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again here in Winchester.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We have stayed here many times over the past 3-4 years. The experience is always the same. Efficient and friendly staff, a clean room and well maintained property. The beds are comfy and the property is dog friendly. We prefer to stay here when visiting Skyline Drive over staying in Front Royal. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Midway, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I am so impressed with this Chain. Clean rooms, fantastic employees, prompt service and free laundry facilities! What's not to like? Candlewood is a chain of hotels along the lines of Extended Stay America, but a BIG step up. I even have a dishwasher in my room. The service has also been much better than I have received in most hotels I have stayed in. These days, it seems hotel employees don't get the meaning of "hospitality services". Candlewood Winchester does. I will seek out this chain again as we travel frequently and they have greatly impressed both of us.

Room Tip: We have a room across from the elevator which has been a bit noisy in the mornings.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is quickly becoming a popular stop for people heading South or North on the I81. If you plan on stopping here durning a holiday weekend, book ahead, it fills up fast.

You will always have a nice kitchenette with plates, cups, utensils, ect.

We've never been disappointed. However this time around we ended up with a dirty hand towel and only a couple of face towels. Almost felt like they were holding back on supplies. We had a King sized bed with ONLY 3 pillows (why?). And they no longer offer the complimentary beverage which they had done for the past 2 years.

Other than that the room was clean and very comfortable bed.

I still recommend this spot for the night.

Room Tip: Book ahead if you are traveling during a holiday weekend. This hotel fills up fast. If you wan...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am a loyal IHG member (formerly Priority Club) and stayed here one evening on our way back from Florida on points. The hotel's parking lot is really too small, just surrounding the hotel, which wasn't a big problem but I think we got the last spot! The nighttime manager wasn't friendly at all, but we got into our room, which smelled like smoke and was supposed to be non-smoking. As others have said, there is a sort of weird smell to this whole hotel - not up to usual IHG standards. We were tired and just wanted to crash for the night, when we learned the toilet wasn't working. The nighttime manager was not helpful, although he did come by the room to check the toilet - he said there were no other rooms with two double beds. It's also a little disturbing that the hotel has the manager/front-desk person also handling maintenance! He came back a little while later and suddenly had another room - said someone had cancelled. Interesting, because this was about 9pm, and cancellation is usually 6pm! He gave us the keys, and we decided to move even though we had unpacked and were in our PJ's, but later he gave me a difficult time for not bringing the original keys and the luggage cart back down to the front desk - I know they can just deactivate the keys. We had just been forced to change rooms and move our luggage in our PJ's, and he gave us a hard time on that? When I questioned it and asked for a points refund, he became very nasty and told me if I had an issue that I could talk to the morning manager and he hung up on me - literally. Now, if you look at my other hotel reviews, I tend to post lots of great reviews, and I've stayed at a lot of IHG or Marriott hotels (like Holiday Inn, Courtyard) for one night on my way to vacation destinations - I rarely take the time to post about them but they are normally very good, and I often use points for these very commuter-type stays. I tend to post the more outstanding reviews of hotels, or once in a great while, a very negative review, and this is one of those few. The only reason I did not rate this hotel as terrible, is because the morning manager (who I assume is in charge) refunded my points and seemed sympathetic when I told him about my experience with the nighttime manager. Another couple standing at the front desk heard me, and said that same manager had given them a hard time too. There is no breakfast at this hotel either, and for 15,000 points, I was sure glad the manager did the right thing and refunded them.

Room Tip: I won't stay at this hotel again, but you might want to call and see what kind of reception you...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear BB4th,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I was delighted to read that after initial issues you may have experienced in your room, our hotel manager was able to rectify the problem to your satisfaction. We will always endeavor to ensure that we do the right thing for all our guests. Our hotel is is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It is our sincere regret that our facilities did not live up to your expectations in particular the bathroom maintenance. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The two star review is based on a couple of things that, to me, were major turnoffs. It does not, however, indicate that the stay was all around bad. All in all, the stay was adequate for what we needed for the night we stayed in Winchester.

I will start with the positives. The staff was very professional and courteous for the entire duration of the stay. We only encountered two of them but they were both friendly and helpful. The room was a very good size; a separate bedroom, a living area, and a kitchen. Our room was located on the first floor almost directly off of the lobby and right next door to the exercise room but we were never bothered by any noise which is something that I was concerned about when first seeing the location of the room. The location is excellent being about a mile or so from the historic district and maybe a half a mile from Shenandoah University.

The negatives. One of the most interesting things that I found about this property is while it appeared clean at first glance, corners were clearly cut in the cleaning department. I will explain: the halls, room, lobby, etc all looked immaculate. Things were shiny and looked as though you could eat off of them. BUT the smell throughout the hotel was not a nice smell. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it but it was unpleasant. It was as though everything had only been rinsed with water to make it look good but not actually cleaning it. To that note, the bathroom smelled of feces despite appearing spotless and the kitchen had balled up pieces of paper, dust, and grime as soon as you opened any of the cabinets.

Our room was a non-smoking room but it was very clear as soon as we walked in that someone had cheated. There was an unmistakable scent of stale cigarette smoke in the room. Fortunately, it did not particularly bother us but it was a bit of an annoyance. When we brought it to the attention of the staff member on duty, he was very professional with his response to us.

On top of that there were other little hidden things that you had to look a little harder for but built up as we discovered them. The storm strip on the bottom of the door to our room was coming off, there was a broken trash can just sitting right in the middle of the hallway, you had to struggle to get the lock on the room door to work, couch had a couple of stains on it, etc. Small details that I normally don't pay that much attention to but the fact that all of them were there at once kind of forced me to break that pattern.

I am not trying to give this property a completely bad rap. For the price we paid for the room, it served its purpose. But know what you are getting into and be ready for a couple of small annoyances.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear ryandvy,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and for your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the hallway and room condition. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Really nice room, clean and very helpful and courteous staff. Free WiFi and DVD checkout with extensive library.

Not a five only 'cause it's not cute or fancy or downtown. But it's a short drive to get there.

Stayed February 2014

Been to Candlewood Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!