“Pet Friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 27 hotels in Winchester
SC
“Pet Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stop here every time I travel N/S along I-81, with my dogs. The facilty is clean, has a gym and a laundry, is very pet friendly, with an extremely reasonable pet fee ($12 for two or fewer dogs). There are also some local restaurants that will deliver, so I need not leave to eat dinner.
I just wish they also had a real breakfast, like some other hotels. They do not have a pool, though that is not important to me. I typically stay only overnight, but do that at least 4 times a year. I have been staying here for years, and it is just now starting to show some signs of wear & tear.

Room Tip: I typically ask for a room on the first floor, (easier to walk the dogs & one of mine does not l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CWDOS, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear rsparro,

Thank you for being a loyal customer at our hotel. We always love to accommodate you and your four-legged family members at our hotel. Per our brand standards, we do not offer breakfast and there is no pool on-site. Our hotel has been open since 2007 and we recently renovated our lobby area and freshly painted our hotel exterior to maintain our brand's image and meet our brand standards.

Thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Winchester area!

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend, and must admit I was impressed beyond my expectations. Upon arrival, they had no issue finding my reservation, and the clerk presented the key, internet password and a coupon for the small food cafe. He correctly did not speak my room number out loud - this is a personal security issue, and it's proper for the clerk to not speak your room number. This was the first pleasant surprise, and more followed.

When I had a problem with my room key, he re-programmed it, then went with me to the room to make sure it worked with no further issue. Pleasant surprise number 2, check.

The room was clean and well-organized, and the supplied kitchenette stocked with dishware, flatware, pots and pans, and even some glass containers with lids. Very complete, I thought. Pleasant surprise number 3, check.

The only 'limitation,' and it's really only one if you're not the kind of customer Candlewood focuses on, is the lack of a restaurant or provided breakfast. Instead, they provide the kitchenette and a small grocery of selections for purchase and preparation in your room. While perhaps not the right fit for a business traveler, for family or personal travel, this works nicely.

While my visit was brief, I would not hesitate to stay here again. A real bargain, and they even have pet-friendly rooms!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear RobertB,

Thank you for staying with us and we are glad that we exceeded your expectations. As you mentioned, our staff members are well trained in regards to our guests' privacy and safety matters. Also, our suites are fully equipped with kitchenette, full size refrigerator and stove to accommodate extended stay guests. Our brand does not offer breakfast (or have on-site restaurant) per our brand standards, but many of local restaurants will deliver to your room.

Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you on your next trip to Winchester area!
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

On a long fall weekend trip to the VA mountians with our two dogs, our overnight stay at this Candlewood Suites was one of the highlights of our trip. This was the first time we have stayed at a Candlewood property, but if the others are a nice as this one, it will not be our last. The room was clean, large, well appointed and designed. The bed was great and the linens were nice. The staff was friendly and accommodating. And at a extremely reasonable price point, I would classify this easy access hotel location as an great bargain!!! Due to the full kitchen, minus an oven but with a full-sized fridge, we planned on fixing dinner (fall apple salad with homemade apple vinegarette dressing, butterhead lettuce, pecans, blue cheese, Surryano ham, and a fresh sliced VA mountain Gala apple) and breakfast (cooked-in-room Gala apple sauce, bacon, and eggs) in our room and be with our dogs. This was made possible by the furnished kitchen, even though the fact that you only had two knives, forks, and teaspoons made for a constant washing process while preparing the meals. They also furnished a dish cloth, drying towel, and potholder along with dish detergent. All-in-all a great overall experience when we did not know what to expect. We will stay here again when we return to this area of our home state, and will add Candlewood Suites to our normal list of hotels when traveling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CWDOS, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Carl O,

Thank you for your review of our Candlewood Suites Winchester. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we appreciate your detailed comments about our room amenities especially the kitchenette. We are also happy to hear that your four-legged family members enjoyed their stay at our pet-friendly accommodation.

Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you again on your next trip to the Apple county Winchester, VA!
Winchester, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Candlewood Suites Winchester, Virginia is an excellent place to call home while away from home. My husband and I have found the staff in Winchester professional and caring – they go out of their way to ensure that our stay is satisfying. Further, with traveling with two dogs, Candlewood is set up as pet friendly. The rooms are well taken care of to ensure cleanliness. – the maids take their job seriously and it shows with the sparkle in the rooms. The rooms are furnished with dishes, pots and pans and full size refrigerator and stove. Traveling gets old when one is reduced to eating out all the time – weight gain plus unhealthy eating. I really enjoy being able to cook for my family, which I’m able to do when I’m at Candlewood. They even have salt and pepper shakers, sugar & cream containers, and cleaning products.

I can’t say enough about the staff here at Candlewood Winchester – they are wonderful! I know if I have a question about the area, they will seek it out for me. My husband and I have been staying here for a bit while we are waiting for his transfer. I’m so grateful during this period to have a place to call home while we are waiting for our next move. I’m thankful!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CWDOS, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Vickie H,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you are enjoying your stay at our hotel! Our management and staff always strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we are making your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you again for your kind review and thank you for staying with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I stay at this hotel all the time. Our kids attend Shenandoah University and we come to visit often. While we have stayed at two other local hotels and enjoyed the stay, the staff was no where as friendly as the staff here at Candlewood. They treat us like family. We are always greeted with "welcome back" and when we leave "it is hope to see you soon. " They ask about the kids and how they are enjoying school and have even asked about my parents that have visited several times with us. Sometimes we have special request and they always manage to take care of them even when they are difficult.

We love the kitchen in the room as sometimes I have been able to give my kids the feeling of a home cooked meal. They don't get that at college. Also, I love the fact that they have a cupboard where you can grab a late night snack or drink without having to go out to the store.

This is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are coming to the hotel know that there is a full kitchen with dishes. Also, no that no brea...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CWDOS, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear vacritter2000,

We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise and your detailed description of our cupboard area.
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just passing through Virginia on a cross-country road trip. Needed an affordable, pet-friendly hotel close to the highway for the night. Located just minutes from I-81, this hotel is clean, comfortable and provides all the essentials you need for a short stay. Full-size appliances (fridge, dishwasher, microwave, hot plates, coffeemaker), plates and dishes, free wifi, alarm clock, TV and DVD player, comfy linens, lots of towels... all in a good-size living space. We all felt right at home (even the pup who cuddled up on the carpet for a nap)!

Cheap thrills: Every room comes with a area attractions guide - tourist spots, restaurants, shopping, etc. After a long drive, we were tired and very hungry. Instead of venturing out, we ordered a pizza from the local Dominoes, service was quick and easy! For the less lazy, there are grills located on the property to cook your own dinner!

Room Tip: Make sure you specify "non-smoking" if you prefer it...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned in your review, we are located less than a mile from I-81 and there are lots of restaurants nearby and most of them offer free delivery to your room. We hope you choose our Candlewood Suites Winchester on your next road trip. Thank you again for your kind review.
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel is perfectly acceptable and more if you know upfront what Candlewood properties do and do not offer.
PROS: very clean room with high ceilings, full size fridge, microwave, generous kitchen and sitting/tv area; large work/eating desk exercise room; one bedroom suite has totally separate bedroom with doors that close and lock; in-room safe (which is screwed into wall studs, not glued to a shelf); free coffee in lobby.
CONS: some food items for purchase but no free breakfast; no pool; soap/shampoo not high-quality; bedroom is small for a queen; no kings available; mattress was good but not enough pillows for a couple; pilows and linens are OK not great and need replacement IMHO. No maid service if staying less than one week so if you stay a few days you will empty your own trash into the trash can at end of hallway, make your own bed, and ask the front desk for fresh towels and more soap/shampoo. Won't impact you if staying just one night.
All of this is great for an extended-stay hotel, which is how Candlewood represents itself. If you are a tourist, Know before you go and you will enjoy staying here. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CWDOS, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear SuperPicky,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments about our guestroom amenities. Per our Candlewood Suites' brand stardards, we do not offer breakfast and no pool on site. Since our hotel is an extended stay hotel, we offer weekly housekeeping service and we appreciate your comment and advice for other travelers staying less than a week.

It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time to give us an honest feedback with details.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Winchester!

Been to Candlewood Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!