“It's ok for a weekend” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Hagerstown, Maryland
“It's ok for a weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were surprised that this room did not have a mini refrigerator as most hotels do anymore. This was more of a 70's type hotel room that needs some updating. The TV was not an HDTV but an older big model. We were placed on the parking lot street side which was a bit noisy and the walls were paper thin and we could hear people two doors past ours. We have particulars listed on my Marriott rewards card that we had to ask for, such as extra towels and newspaper delivery. When I asked the clerk about the newspaper, she said we don't deliver a paper on weekends, but we were there on Thursday night and did not get a paper on Friday. This was just an average stay, we were out most of the weekend so I did not complain about a fridge. This was certainly below Marriott quality. We will not stay at a Courtyard Marriott again since they cannot live up to the standards of the Marriott name.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the street side, get one on the inside, there were plenty available.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

We were part of a group of about forty out of town guests staying in Winchester for a Memorial Weekend baseball tournament.
Not only were we given a fair rate with breakfast for the weekend- but, after we checked out,and then rained out of our last game, the hotel went the extra mile and eased us comfortably back into a third nights stay.
Fresh omlets for breakfast every morning helped energize us for enjoying Winchesters environment.
Even after we checked out the Courtyards customer focused staff came to our rescue by phoning us to let us know we had left some medicines in our room and held them at the front desk until we returned to pick them up,

• Stayed May 2012
Plesant Prairie, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

...but it's not a Super 8. It's a Courtyard whose rating would quickly be higher with a little more effort by the staff and owners to do what should be done, especially for a Courtyard.

When I review a hotel I look at three major areas. The first is basic for every hotel from a Red Roof Inn to a Hyatt Regency: Is it clean (including the environment) and does everything work as it should? Every traveler has the absolute right to a room that's clean and everything works as it should.

Second, I compare to other hotels of the brand and then, third, of the competition and/or local area. When a Courtyard isn't up to snuff it's serious stuff because this is the brand that advertises:

--The best surprise is no surprise.
--Designed by business travelers for business travelers.

So Courtyards are evaluated as well on whether there are unpleasant surprises and whether the property fits in with the model of being business traveler oriented.

The Winchester Courtyard is probably less than a decade old and SHOULD be one of the nicer properties but staff and management neglect and chintziness bring it down.

Checkin was painless and friendly. I got to my room and things looked OK -- but then I got my first surprise.

I opened the door for the refrigerator cabinet to put away my bottle of soda. Surprise! The refrigerator was missing. (Not all Courtyards have refrigerators in the room but if they do there's a space for them.)

Then I went to the desk and saw that slightly under half of the space was occupied by a TV that was state of the art at the end of the last century. Not necessarily a deal breaker but there was dust on the front that I wiped off. Then I pulled out the chair and it had several stains on it. It also would not raise up from the ground. I took the stained kindergarten chair to the front desk and several minutes later a replacement arrived.

I lost some valuable time waiting for the replacement chair. While waiting for it I got some ice to have a glass of soda. Another surprise: no glasses! Just two flimsy plastic cups. Motel 6 would be proud of this chintziness. There was a pen and note pad by the bed but not on the desk. Another chintzy move unbecoming a Courtyard.

The next surprise was in the bathroom. The shower head was gross with significant deposits of lime, calcium or some other sediments. The jets were partially clogged although water temperature and pressure were OK. No lotion in the bathroom (another chintzy move). There was also some sloppily repaired vandalism in the elevator.

So, was everything clean and did it work as it should? Nope. Compared to other Courtyards this one was below average. I'll give it a D+. It also does not rate well vs. Hilton Garden Inn which has real glasses, a very good chair, a refrigerator and microwave and even pads and pens on the desk and by the bed.

This place isn't horrible and what I didn't mention was certainly up to Courtyard's norm. As stated, this would be one of the best Super 8 properties. But it's a Courtyard and the stadd, management and ownership need to get on the stick. Except for something like a burned out bulb a guest shouldn't have to bring a deficiency to the hotel's attention. There are hotel employees in virually every room virtually every day. For example, that gross shower head should have been repaired or replaced and same for the chair. If the hotel's employees don't catch these things and management doesn't have them repaired, shame on them.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lindon, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at this property one night last year and booked a return for 4 nights, followed by another single night. Upon arrival, the front desk staff person went out of her way to meet my requests for top floor/king/with in-room fridge. My room was spacious and comfortable. Everything worked properly. Two nights later, when I returned for the single night, I got another top floor king on the other side of the building; the side facing the interstate. It was quite noisy the next morning. I still like this property very much and would highly recommend it; just ask for the back side of the building if noise will bother you.

Room Tip: Ask for the side away from the highway.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed here on a drive through Virginia 3 weeks ago for one night. Quick check-in despite the hotel being fairly full. It is close to Wal-Mart and several good restaurants in the downtown area. There were two bus tours staying at the hotel but they were not at all disruptive. Noisy neighbors did keep us awake part of the night. There seemed like no insulation in the walls.
Went down to the lounge and ordered a glass of wine. The glass was filthy! I should have complained but returned to my room and cleaned out the glass.
We did not eat breakfast but the dining room was full in the morning.
It is your standard reliable Courtyard brand.

Room Tip: It looks as though all the rooms will have highway noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

My company has used this hotel for 4 business meetings over the past 3 years and have been thrilled with the service, attention and food every time. Just ask for anything and the staff will provide it or find it for you. The room rates are a bargain, special food arrangements are flexible and can be custom ordered to your needs. The sales office (Theresa) is so very easy to work with and it is enjoyable seeing many of the same faces each year. The locatoin is right off the highway, 10 minute access to all the nice downtown restaurants and shops, and walking distance to local chain restaurants, Wal-Mart, and convenience stores. They have 3 conference rooms, two very spacious rooms and a smaller boardroom. I have used each of them and been very pleased. We expect to be returning once again.

Room Tip: for just $10 extra I stayed in the Suite. A bit large (2 rooms), 2 TV, sofa and kitchenette area.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Love this hotel, and I'm a picky traveler. I've never had a faster check-in. The rooms are well appointed and cozy, and the pillows and bed are extremely comfortable. The price you pay here is a steal. You won't be disappointed. And I will be back to this one.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Winchester? Share your experiences!