“Quick Getaway between kids sports seasons” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #1 of 27 hotels in Winchester
Taneytown
“Quick Getaway between kids sports seasons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Just needed a weekend trip to get away for the two of us with no particular objective in mind. The place was very nice and there were plenty of things to do within walking distance. Winchester's "main street" road was under construction but the shops were still open. Ate all out meals at the hotel and the food was good and reasonably priced, the hotel was clean, the one drawback is that the TV was not very good (no HD) that was important to us but not enough of a drawback that we wouldnt go again. We did not go to pool, hot tub or spa. The furnishings were all fine with a huge exception the bed footposts stuck out so far past the mattress (by design) that we both hit our feet/stubbed our toes multiple times.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

1,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
OK/TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I came up here one night on a LivingSocial voucher, and it is a really lovely historical hotel. We did not use the on-site restaurant or spa, but enjoyed walking around the nearby walking mall in downtown Winchester. Parking is only $5/night or free on the streets during weekends. I also highly recommend the Alamo Drafthouse cinema, it's one of the reasons we like to go to Winchester.
Cozy but spacious rooms and really nice showers make this hotel feel like a luxury getaway for a decent price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel is an excellent blend of a history lesson and modern comforts. My husband and I stayed overnight in one of the Junior Suites for Valentine's Day and can't wait to stay again. The hotel is conveniently located within a block of the historic walking mall and a wide variety of locally owned restaurants, pubs, and speciality shops. The ambiance inside the hotel and friendly staff made us feel like special guests. And the bathroom... AMAZING! I think I could have just spent my entire stay inside the bathroom. Between the luxurious shower and spacious CLEAN jacuzzi, my husband and I spent lots of time discussing the idea of creating an exact replica in our home. During our stay, there were only 3 minor items of note: A) the towel warming rack only seemed to heat when the jacuzzi was in use and not the shower; B) the sitting area chairs and couch, while very clean, showed a little more wear and tear than I expected, but that could be chalked up to the historical flavoring; and C) the in-room fireplace was immediately childlocked once turned on, and I had to call the front desk for directions to turn it off because no instructions were located in the room. The front desk answered on the first ring and promptly helped me with the issue - they didn't need to send anyone up or put me on hold to figure out the answer. On the way to dinner, I needed a safety pin to fix a wardrobe malfunction and the ladies at the desk immediately came to my rescue, smiling and laughing and carrying a pleasant conversation with my husband and me the entire time. Oh, and did I mention breakfast in The Dancing Goat was spectacular? The atmosphere was quiet, our nook table was cozy, and the creme brulee French toast (my choice cheat - I happened to be on a diet) was worth every yummy calorie!

Overall, the hotel is fantastic and the service impeccable. After other questionable service in the area, I continue to appreciate the value of pleasant and competent employees of the George Washington Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Annapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Exceptionally friendly staff. Provided early checkin. Centrally located. Really liked the dual vanities, Lots of counter space that is lacking in most hotels. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is well managed. The staff are amenable & very helpful. Good location. Parking is $5/day, which I find unacceptable for such a high dollar hotel in Winchester, VA. The free wireless internet leaves much room for improvement. Since it is available, I suggest that you bring a data cord & plug in directly to the hotel server. Hotel cleanliness is to be commended & unusual for most hotels. Accidentally, I discovered that the HVAC closet in my room was left unlocked. The door had louvers for air circulation for the machinery. Inside the closet was a completely filled air filter & MUCH dust and dirt on the floor & door louvers. I reported same & the defect was promptly remedied. Heating system is less than satisfactory. When it cycles on, the first 3 minutes or so is cold air. Noisy. Swimming pool area is very nice. Not designed for swimming Has a hot tub which I did not use.The room hallways are very noisy, but this is due to inconsiderate people. Room doors & stairwell doors SLAM shut & are disturbing. Workout room is acceptable. If you desire exercise, I recommend walking in the area as it is safe clean & interesting. Had Sunday brunch buffet at the Dancing Goat Restaurant, located within the hotel. Food & price were unacceptable. I would not stay at this hotel again, Even though it is nice, it is too expensive for what you get in return for the dollars spent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The George Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!