“A little different from the usual "chain" hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“A little different from the usual "chain" hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I just got back from an overnight stay at The George Washington Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. It has been very nicely renovated - our room was a good good size and the bathroom and shower were excellent. We ate in the bar in the evening and the barman, Justin, could not have been more helpful and pleasant. My only small niggle was that there was music in the bar in the evening which we could hear in our room which was immediately above. However, it was my era of music and so was not unpleasant and finished early enough not to keep me awake. We had breakfast in the Dancing Goat in the morning - tasty but the poor waitress was very busy trying to keep up with everyone - they need more help. Overall it was a very pleasant stay, right downtown and everybody we encountered was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor and were immediately above the bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I appreciate your business and the feedback. I'm so glad you did enjoy the music and yes they do finish around 10PM. We actually only have music on Fri & Sat so we do not disturb any of our corp guests on the weekdays. I will also get with my food & beverage team to make sure we are scheduling correctly in the Dancing Goat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Callaway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was a grand old hote;. The next room had 2 different groups pf people in 2 nights.. They weren't trying to be terribly loud, but you cpuld distinguish every word they said. I don't know if all the rooms have this problem, but maybe we were given this room since we obtained a lower rate thru Living Social. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us. I also appreciate your feedback good and bad. I'm so sorry you could hear your neighbors, I'll have my engineer take a look to see if there may be something we can do.

Once again I'm sorry for your issues and if you decide to give our award winning property another try in the future I would be happy to make your reservation personally.

I can be reached at dcavallaro@wyndham.com.

Take care,
New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Update to my earlier review of this hotel. Please see it for some background on me. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate the staff at the George Washington on winning the coveted Wyndham Hotel of the year for 2011. I'm not surprised, as this is one of the finest staffs, especially the front desk team, I've had the pleasure of encountering. Really, the soul of any hotel is it's staff, they are what set a superior hotel apart. I'm always greeted with a big smile and a friendly hello. It's like I'm being greeted by family. Carrie, Carla, Pat and Lacey are truly a wonderful group and again I say thank you for always demonstrating such kindness, caring and professionalism. I want to say special thanks to Eliza. I almost always receive a call from her fifteen or twenty minutes after I check in asking if everything is alright with my room, and if there's anything else that I need. This is service above and beyond the call of duty, by a hard working, wonderful young lady. My wife and daughter (who's a student at The George Washington University in DC) have joined me for several of my stays and I think they like the hotel more than I. I've read some of the recent reviews and in regard to some of the things that people find fault in, I don't, Five or six dollars for downtown parking is extremely reasonable. The hotel that reminds me most of the George is the Fairmont in DC where parking is forty five dollars a night. The George Washington is a unique hotel built during the roaring twenties and it exudes elegance. If the walls could talk there'd be some stories to be told here. There's no parking charges at a Hampton or Holiday Inn next to a freeway, It just depends on what you're looking for in your hotel experience. You can't compare apples to oranges. Room service is offered from the in house Dancing Goat restaurant, and after a day of airline travel the peace and quiet of in room dining is a welcome treat. I had the half rack of ribs there this week with a fruit plate side that was out of this world. I'm including a photo with this review. I also want to praise the housekeeping staff on a job well done. My housekeeper this week was Renee who did an excellent job. The high standards of the housekeeping department was further evident when Elena, a supervisor, showed up early in the afternoon to double check that everything was perfect. Once again, I love this hotel, it's downtown location and everyone that makes it so great. Thanks, Mike

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mike, thank you so much for all the kind words, it means a lot to us. I'm so glad my team has delivered on our core values, Be Responsive, Be Respectful, and Deliver Great Experiences.

We love having you as our guest and I hope to see you again soon.

Take care,
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for one night on a recent business trip. It is a great value considering the overall quality of the facility. The breakfast room service was abysmal, however, and that would be my only complaint.

• Stayed February 2013
I appreciate your business and your comments, good and bad. I'm so sorry your breakfast experience was not a good one. I would love to talk about your service if you would like I can be reached at dcavallaro@wyndham.com

Been to The George Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!