“Like a fine wine it just keeps getting better.” 5 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Like a fine wine it just keeps getting better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Update to my earlier review of this hotel. Please see it for some background on me. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate the staff at the George Washington on winning the coveted Wyndham Hotel of the year for 2011. I'm not surprised, as this is one of the finest staffs, especially the front desk team, I've had the pleasure of encountering. Really, the soul of any hotel is it's staff, they are what set a superior hotel apart. I'm always greeted with a big smile and a friendly hello. It's like I'm being greeted by family. Carrie, Carla, Pat and Lacey are truly a wonderful group and again I say thank you for always demonstrating such kindness, caring and professionalism. I want to say special thanks to Eliza. I almost always receive a call from her fifteen or twenty minutes after I check in asking if everything is alright with my room, and if there's anything else that I need. This is service above and beyond the call of duty, by a hard working, wonderful young lady. My wife and daughter (who's a student at The George Washington University in DC) have joined me for several of my stays and I think they like the hotel more than I. I've read some of the recent reviews and in regard to some of the things that people find fault in, I don't, Five or six dollars for downtown parking is extremely reasonable. The hotel that reminds me most of the George is the Fairmont in DC where parking is forty five dollars a night. The George Washington is a unique hotel built during the roaring twenties and it exudes elegance. If the walls could talk there'd be some stories to be told here. There's no parking charges at a Hampton or Holiday Inn next to a freeway, It just depends on what you're looking for in your hotel experience. You can't compare apples to oranges. Room service is offered from the in house Dancing Goat restaurant, and after a day of airline travel the peace and quiet of in room dining is a welcome treat. I had the half rack of ribs there this week with a fruit plate side that was out of this world. I'm including a photo with this review. I also want to praise the housekeeping staff on a job well done. My housekeeper this week was Renee who did an excellent job. The high standards of the housekeeping department was further evident when Elena, a supervisor, showed up early in the afternoon to double check that everything was perfect. Once again, I love this hotel, it's downtown location and everyone that makes it so great. Thanks, Mike

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Mike, thank you so much for all the kind words, it means a lot to us. I'm so glad my team has delivered on our core values, Be Responsive, Be Respectful, and Deliver Great Experiences.

We love having you as our guest and I hope to see you again soon.

Take care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for one night on a recent business trip. It is a great value considering the overall quality of the facility. The breakfast room service was abysmal, however, and that would be my only complaint.

• Stayed February 2013
I appreciate your business and your comments, good and bad. I'm so sorry your breakfast experience was not a good one. I would love to talk about your service if you would like I can be reached at dcavallaro@wyndham.com

Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you find yourself in Winchester for a couple days, the George Washington is a great location. The rooms are very nice, but not necessarily representative of the old-towne feel of the rest of the facility. The restaurant is excellent, and the bar is a fantastic center-piece - a modern spin on an historical feeling hotel. The hotel is downtown and within walking distance of plenty of food, drink and touristy shopping. We hosted a function at the hotel and found the staff and service were exceptional - they were very attentive for both our business meeting and after-hours functions.

Room Tip: Ask for an end unit to get windows on 2 sides.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I appreciate your business, and your feedback and I'm so glad you had an enjoyable time while your in the Winchester area.

Take care,
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This Wyndham hotel is located in heart of the city, just a block from the walking mall’s quaint shops. The hotel is a great blend of grand old hotel, and modern convenience. As for the rooms, mine was quite comfortable and included a luxurious marble bath with ample natural light, however I struggled to see when artificial light was required (for example, to apply make up). If you plan to stay at The George Washington, opt for the free parking behind the hotel where there is a lot with about 20 spaces.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We wanted to get away and visit some historic sights in the area, so we spent one night at Wyndam's GW Hotel. We got a heavily discounted rate, and were pleased overall.

Check in/check out

Very easy, no complaints on either end. We were charged for parking that we didn't use, but it was immediately removed.

The Room

The room had a king bed, a refrigerator, and a very nicely appointed bathroom. However, the view was lacking, as we faced a brick wall. Most of the other rooms likely have something to look at, but you should know that there are rooms (at least on the second floor) that do not. The shower is very nicely done, and quite roomy. The toiletries provided were of very high quality.

Breakfast

Breakfast is not included, but there is a restaurant in the basement. It is great. The tall stack of pancakes will sit in your stomach and keep you full all day. The french toast was also quite good.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the GW hotel, and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The George Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!