“Hidden treasure!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 219 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013 and 2014.
Purcellville
“Hidden treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

In the heart of old-town Winchester is a real find in the culinary space: One Block West.

On a tree-shaded outdoor patio, my wife and I enjoyed a good bottle of sparkling wine, and began our meal; me with their signature appetizer of pan-seared scallop on crispy pork belly with new potato and smoked bluefish salad. my wife was thrilled with their beet, Goat Cheese, and Candied Walnut Salad with Dried Cranberries and Balsamic Vinaigrette.

For an entree, she chose their pan-seared Atlantic Char with local broccoli and tomato-feta salad.

For me, the Morel Mushrooms Primavera with Strozzapreti Pasta, Spinach, Peas, Sugar Snaps, Cream (vegetarian) was truly memorable (and I am not a vegetarian).

All-in-all, an incredible dining experience; we will DEFINITELY return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
It is very heartening to me and my team here that you sat on the same deck as the previous poster and had nearly the same dinner and found it worth returning, whereas the previous poster hated nearly the identical experience.

We are so lucky, after a winter of slim pickings, to be blessed suddenly with local beets, local goat cheese, local cherry tomatoes, local peas, local sugar snaps, and glorious local broccoli. We are glad you appreciate the effort we go to to source these great foods. Thank you.

87% Recommend
Manassas, Virginia, United States
“A beautiful summer evening spoiled.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Came out from northern va. To visit my sister at Blue Ridge Hospice yesterday evening. We wanted to enjoy a nice meal after our visit so my wife suggested One Block West. She had eaten there a few years ago with friends and enjoyed it. Well, it was such a beautiful evening, so we decided to eat on the outdoor deck. While she went to thr restroom I was left to chose a table on my own. Well once I spotted a table for two it was apparent that the patio had not been cleaned in what looked like several seasons. I had to wipe off the cheap plastic chair before sitting down and had to ask the waiter to clean my wife's chair before she returned. Upon returning from the restroom I could see the look of disgust on her face. The bathroom was dirty and had no faucet handle for cold water and scalding hot from the working handle. So hot she could not rinse off the soap. After she sat down we noticed several dried bird droppings on our wire mesh table. The vacant table next to ours was even worse and had a small candle jar stuffed with old cigarette buts. Now trying hard to get past all this lack of cleanliness which completely ruined any ambience the place might have had we still stuck it out and ordered our food which was very delicious . But once again we were disappointed at the lack of anything on the plate other than the entree. No sides of anything and no sides on the menu. I guess we should've ordered the chefs surprise menu for $65 each maybe there were some vegetables with that. We dine out quite often and know a great resturant when we see one and One Block West is mediocre at best. They charge D.C. prices but fall way short. I will never eat there again and would suggest you get your spring cleaning done after all it's summertime!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
My staff and I are very sorry that such terrible circumstances brought you to Winchester. We wish you all the best at this trying and stressful time.

Over the years, I have come to understand that a review beginning with a dissection of the décor and physical plant is a smokescreen. The real complaint is inevitably that the customer did not perceive the value that we provide, but does not want to say that directly. I am sorry that you don’t find value in our restaurant and I hope that you will find restaurants elsewhere that you enjoy.

As for your other issues:

You chose to sit outdoors under a huge tree that is in full pollen swing right now and generates debris faster than we can clean it at this season, though we clean the deck before each shift. Moreover, birds love the tree and bird poop happens. Why on earth, of all the empty tables outside, you chose one that the birds pooped on is beyond me. You could have selected a clean table. You could have sat inside.

You confuse dirty with old. Our restrooms were built in 1984 and they are old. But they are not dirty. They are also next on our slate of renovations. Granted, somebody broke the faucet handle in the women’s room and we are sorry you had to deal with that. We repaired it the very next day as soon as we could get parts. We apologize for your inconvenience.

I pulled your check to see what you ordered: pasta with morel mushrooms, fresh peas, sugar snaps, and spinach for you and for your wife, two jumbo softshell crabs garnished with an arugula salad. You expect sides with a big bowl of pasta that already contains three kinds of vegetables plus mushrooms? An arugula salad is insufficient side for two huge crabs? These dishes are lacking vegetables? Did you ask your server if we could get you some additional vegetables?

Once again, my staff and I are very sorry for the circumstances with your sister and we wish you all the best at this trying time.
“Cuisine was very good, however.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

, the chef/ owner came to our table and said, "I need to close the place, what do you want for dessert?

I kinda think he wanted us to leave. My husband ordered the chef's recommendation. The guy can cook, it was pretty good.

But, we dine out quite a bit, being from San Francisco, and have NEVER had a wait staff or chef/owner ask us "to get going, cause I have to close the kitchen".

Considering that we were paying customers, I was a little irritated that we were informed we needed to leave, SOON.

When I expressed my dismay at the lack of hospitality toward customers, the chef accused me of being drunk and promptly left our table. Ummmmm.
Back at our hotel, (which was fabulous) we asked about the chef/owner of this restaurant.
They responded, "Yes, we have heard that the owner can be a jerk."

Conclusion? The Chef/owner needs to stay in the kitchen. He does not have the skill set to interact with customers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
With all due respect, while forums such as this allow you to express your opinion without any kind of verification or validation, your version of events is very, very skewed as I told you at the table last night.

In visiting all the tables in the restaurant, I came to your table and you welcomed me, shaking my hand, and we had a congenial conversation for about five minutes. As I was ready to leave your table and go clean the kitchen, I noticed you were about to order dessert, so I asked if you were ready to order and you asked me what you should have. I made a recommendation and you accepted and we parted on very good terms.

Five minutes later, one of the servers came to report that you were in the dining room angrily and loudly threatening to post a bad review on TripAdvisor because I told you you had to leave. I immediately came to the table to smooth things out. You didn't even have the good graces to let me try to smooth things out: you starting waving your finger in my face and angrily slurring about me asking you to leave and once again threatening to post a bad review. When I protested that no such thing had ever happened, you asked me if I thought you were delusional. I replied that I didn’t think you were delusional, merely intoxicated. You demanded that I get your check and I immediately left your table and asked your server to comply with your wishes.

I don’t see any logical thought process that would lead you to think even remotely that I asked or even hinted that you should leave because I wanted to close. I certainly had no motivation to do so: you were being excellent guests, if a little too happy, and there were still 35 other guests in the restaurant at the time. Your astonishing behavior baffles me and our service team.

You got drunk, you started talking trash in the dining room, and threatened to post a bad review which you have now done. Proud of yourself?
Greenville, North Carolina
“Outstanding is not good enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had the chefs choice and we were not disappointed. Had to stop ourselves from licking the plates clean. Everything was delicious, the pairing of the wines wonderful and talking to the chef topped the night off.

Visited June 2013
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for doing us the honor of ordering a tasting. We appreciate your trust and are gratified that you had a great experience.
rockville, md
“One Block West for the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just off the pedestrian mall, this restaurant is worth asking directions to. The service was perfect, the space less than perfect, but the food is to die for. This was a great surprise for a couple looking for a good place while visiting this Virginia city. I had the duck breast which came sliced and spread over the tastiest greens and beside the even tastier sweet potato puree. My friend had two appetizers, the veggie pate and the gazpacho soup, both wonderful. For dessert, we shared a bread pudding. Whoever does the cooking is a genius.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to find us! Should anyone need directions to the restaurant, just pick up the phone and we will get you here. I assure you that none of us doing the cooking is a genius, but we appreciate the compliment nonetheless.