“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 232 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013 and 2014.
Edgewater, Maryland
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of eating at One Block West on 26 January. I really don't understand the last review as we had a great dinner with above average attention by the waitstaff. Chef Ed's menu and attention to detail was really good. His sauces were amazing and his wine pairings were on target. If I had criticism at all it would be in the minor details of the waitstaff service. While they were extremely attentive there were really small things like reaching over me to fill my wife's water glass. May seem picky but everything else is so good, minor details make a major difference. Besides that, we can't wait to come back to see what Chef Ed has intro for us.

• Visited January 2013
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks for dining with us. I will work with the waitstaff about refilling water glasses. Depending on where you were sitting, the server may not have had a choice. Nonetheless, we'll work on it to make sure that we are doing the best that we can do.

Winchester, Virginia
“RUDE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I don't get why people like this place. I tried it again, after a bad experience before. Nothing has changed. The atmosphere is still "odd", service is shady, and food is average (not worth the price). And the chef/owner ... he's a piece of work. If u need any proof, just read the reviews on here, and read his replies. He NEVER takes ownership of anything. It's always the customers fault. Simply put, this place is over rated in my opinion. But it does seem that many like it, just not me, and several others here who say the same thing.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I read these comments and I have nothing to say. I trust other potential customers to draw their own conclusions.
Winchester, Virginia, United States
“Nice and newly renovated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Ed Matthews, the resident chef and owner, has a wealth of ideas which he graciously shares with any and all interested. Recently visited with a friend for lunch. Limited lunch menu which included starters, seafood/fish entrees, pastas and large salads with options to add chicken or shrimp. I had the shrimp and grits which were delightful. Portions are modest for the price but wine pours are nice. Wait staff much improved since last visit. Update means fresh and clean looking. Cheers for that!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Great to see you again and thank you for your review. I'm glad you like the "fresh and clean looking" new decor. We spent six months last year renovating.

I'm amused to hear our portions are modest and our wine pours are nice. This runs counter to other comments I've heard recently that our wine pours are modest and our portions are nice. It seems to me that we must be hitting a happy medium!

Cheers to you!
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Had the personal chef's tasting and it was a wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent a weekend in Winchester and in advance arranged to have the the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. We were seated in a lovely booth, decorated with netting above and soft lighting. It was certainly celebratory, and even more so because the restaurant itself is rather simple and plain. The approach to food here is straightforward and unprententious. The quality is comparable to many fine restaurants I've been to around the country, yet the value was outstanding. We had a visit from the chef on every course, and a nice conversation and even had our feedback solicited on some new items they were trying. The scallops with pork belly were a stand-out. We enjoyed the live music, and had a wonderful, relaxed experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I really appreciate your picking my restaurant as the venue for your celebration. My staff and I thoroughly enjoyed putting together a special and meaningful tasting menu with wine pairings just for you. We really enjoy doing such tastings: they let us channel our creative energy to create one-of-a-kind menus of exactly what we are feeling like cooking at a given time. Once again, thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Excellent local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This place was great. I travel for work and try to go to places that have locally sourced food and One Block West was the perfect definition of this. I went on a night that was dead ( right after Thanksgiving and early in the week), but the meal was awesome. I wanted to try the whole menu but ended up with the venison. It was cooked perfectly and the greens with it were great. The pineapple one block west was their take on a bananas foster and was very tasty ( I loved the coconut sorbet that came with it). They have a great wine selection with good VA wines. I will certainly come back when in the area.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and for supporting independent restaurants such as mine that source their ingredients locally. You're helping not only to support this restaurant, but a whole network of farmers in this community. Thank you for that.

Glad you liked the coconut sorbet; I love it too! It's made with coconut milk rather than dairy and that is a good thing if you like ice cream but are lactose intolerant as am I or if you are vegan.