“Excellent local food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 224 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013 and 2014.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Excellent local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This place was great. I travel for work and try to go to places that have locally sourced food and One Block West was the perfect definition of this. I went on a night that was dead ( right after Thanksgiving and early in the week), but the meal was awesome. I wanted to try the whole menu but ended up with the venison. It was cooked perfectly and the greens with it were great. The pineapple one block west was their take on a bananas foster and was very tasty ( I loved the coconut sorbet that came with it). They have a great wine selection with good VA wines. I will certainly come back when in the area.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and for supporting independent restaurants such as mine that source their ingredients locally. You're helping not only to support this restaurant, but a whole network of farmers in this community. Thank you for that.

Glad you liked the coconut sorbet; I love it too! It's made with coconut milk rather than dairy and that is a good thing if you like ice cream but are lactose intolerant as am I or if you are vegan.

Manassas, Virginia
“Food was good! Staff beyond HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Planned a special weekend trip to Winchester for my husband's birthday mainly because of what I've read about the restaurant on their website and the idea that they serve fresh ingredients bought at local farms daily.
I guess we had our table reserved quite early (6:30PM on a Saturday night) because there were no other guests present. The hostess who was also our waiter was polite but not genuinely nice and accommodating. We ordered two appetizers but she brought us just one. When we asked her if the other appetizer is coming out soon she looked at us like aliens and said that we only ordered one. Might I add- she was not apologetic for her mistake at all which to us seemed a little odd but we gave her benefit of the doubt. All this time other staff members were standing at the bar area and talking in hushed voices and looking in our directions which made us feel very uncomfortable. Now, when the entrees came out my husband took one bite and realized that that is not at all what he ordered. He called the waitress over and again, without any apologies she said: I though you ordered Bison! My husband looked at me and asked me if he really is crazy and ordered something that he was not even considering when we looked over the menu. I confirmed that Bison was most certainly not what he had ordered! Waitress grabbed the plate and just darted to the kitchen. The chef came out to the bar area and stared at us whispering and looking our way.
The bottom line is that the staff and even the chef himself is beyond horrible and are not meant to work in food service industry. They made us feel uncomfortable, talked about us behind our backs, messed up our order twice and made us feel like we're the ones who didn't order correctly. They did not once ask us if the food was ok and didn't say anything when we were leaving.
The food was ok- it was not as spectacular as I thought it would be and I felt so bad that I gave my husband such a HORRIBLE birthday gift. We for sure will not be going back there ever again!!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. I assure you that it was equally painful for us: seeing you not having a good time on such a special occasion was no fun for us. And no matter what we tried, there was seemingly nothing that we could do to put you at ease. And for that, we are sorry.

Clearly there was a communication problem between us: what you wanted to order and what you seemed to order were two different things. It happens often that a customer will ask about a dish and not actually order it, thinking that he did. It also happens that a customer will be thinking of ordering a particular dish and actually order another dish because it was the last thing on his mind. I am not saying that this is what happened in your case, but certainly the majority of the facts are in dispute.

I do believe we deserve some credit for getting your husband the food that he wanted as quickly as possible once we were alerted to the problems. I also believe that we could have done a better job about double-checking the order before bringing it to the kitchen and we have worked on this in staff training.

I am sorry that you thought we were talking about you in the server station. It is the job of the front of the house staff and my job as owner of this restaurant to survey the dining room and make sure things are going well. Part of that involves glancing at each and every table doing a quick assessment. And we do talk in very low voices as we communicate about the state of the dining room and what needs to happen next. Would you have us talk in very loud voices?

I am sorry that you were so ill-at-ease that you didn't have a good time. I'd like to think that this was a one-time miscommunication on all parts and that everything will go smoother in the future. If you would like to come back and try again, please call me at 540-662-1455.
Bethesda, Maryland
“The Boss Really Does Do The Cooking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

It started with the reservation. The chef and owner Ed Matthews answered the phone and took the reservation after a good discussion on the menu. Then I rang a few days later to change the time and he answered again. I was beginning to think maybe that was his role and he stood by while others did the cooking. Nothing could have been further from the truth. After cooking for a full house he came out of the kitchen around 9.30, beer in hand, finally relaxing, to see how everyone had enjoyed his cooking.
The menu makes it plain that the ingredients are sourced locally and that it changes almost every day to reflect what is in season. There were four of us last Saturday and we all had something different and all had nothing but praise for the taste and presentation of their choice.
The menu had a number of meat options - bison short ribs, quail, rabbit, a selection of pork dishes - but I had the chorizo encrusted red drum fish dish which was absolutely delicious. Starters and desserts were also imaginitive and well presented and service was great. Last but by no means least the wine list was comprehensive and very reasonable. We had the Linden Petit Verdot, a Virginian wine of which there was a good selection, and it was terrific.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
First, thank you for buying me a beer this weekend; it was well and truly appreciated after a long, long slog in the kitchen on a busy Saturday night! Yes, I do indeed cook each and every shift that the restaurant is open. You don't go to the opera to hear the understudy sing and so you should expect a chef to be in his kitchen when you dine there. But in all fairness, in every kitchen, there are lots of cooks toiling away without recognition who deserve most of the kudos, for they do all the heavy lifting. Without those dedicated cooks, we chefs would be nothing. Let me say publicly that my hat is off to my crew, both back of the house and front of the house, for this restaurant would not function without their dedicated hard work and sacrifice. I'm glad you had a great experience and thanks for noticing our wine list. I put hours and hours of toil into it every week.
Maidens, Virginia
“Wonderful dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

While visiting Winchester we were
fortunate to have dinner at One Block West. The service was excellent not stuffing or pretentious. The food is incredible and it is obvious the chef is quite talented. The wine list is excellent. I wish we lived closer so we could try every dish on the menu.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for visiting us all the way from Goochland County! I am afraid nobody will ever be able to try all the dishes on the menu as we change it every day. But never feel afraid to call ahead and ask if we can make something that you really want to taste. If we can, we will.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wow! a little bit of truly great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were in Winchester and not expecting too much. This turned out to be a great meal from the beginning, The waitress went out of her way to create the perfect martini for my friend. The appetizer and salads were perfect. We had 3different entrees and each was different, but extraordinary. My red snapper was crispy and prepared well. My son's steak was perfectly prepared and my friends tile fish had a lovely flavor. I eat out often, this was a wonderful place and I would highly recommend it for a special meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. Many people are surprised that we really do have first class food here in Winchester. Our advantage is that we are in the midst of beautiful farm land and we have very dedicated farmers that bring the best of what they grow to us before they take the remainders to market closer in to Washington, DC. I hope that you will visit us again the next time that you find yourself out this way.