“Very nice...excellent value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Claremont
“Very nice...excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

It was a half way stop for our trip. The hotel was an easy on and off from the freeway. The furnishings were nice, comfortable beds but the pillows were small and not so comfy. The restaurant was good. It was nice to not get back in the car and find a place to eat.

Room Tip: Pillows are small and not too comfy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have stayed here every Christmas since it opened. Each year there is a decline. Here is what happened this year... The mattress pad was ripped to non existence on the side part which holds the pad to each corner of the mattress. Really? The maid would not have noticed that when changing sheets? Since the sheets are the same type sheets used since the beginning it is actually hard to tell if the sheets had actually been changed. Really? The bed is so very important to spending money at a hotel. The other issue was the door lock (deadbolt) did not work. I took a picture of the mattress pad but don't see where to post on this review. Will share when I send a letter to HIE.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Serenity Traveler,
Thank you for your comments about the Holiday Inn Express. I want you to know that I personally addressed this issue with the housekeeper who cleaned your room. She apologized for not replacing the torn mattress pad and assured me that she did change your bed linens throughout your stay. We are in the process of preparing for a renovation and as time goes by, unfortunately things do wear. We did inspect your deadbolt and found it working properly. Please note that the dead bolt locks automatically when you close the door. Once you engage the privacy from inside, no one can get in from the outside. We hope that you will choose our hotel for your future stays in the area and are excited to work towards our newly renovated property!
Forest, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I booked this hotel because of the indoor pool and requested a room near the pool. Glad we did because on the second night, our toilet broke and we had to use the restroom in the pool area. We got in around 12:30 am, exhausted from a family party on Christmas Eve. I didn't call about it because I figured that even if they sent someone to fix it, we would have to stay up and wait for a plumber and stay up while he fixed it. In the morning when I asked for a refund for the last night, the clerk fussed at me for not calling, even though I explained the reason why not. They also tried to charge me $10 over the price I booked the room at. She said there was nothing she could do, but at my insistence, she changed the price and gave us half off the room. The beds weren't comfortable, but the pool was great and we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The front desk people were very friendly and efficient with the exception of this one person who didn't exactly ruin our experience, but she certainly didn't add to it. Hey lady, it's not MY fault you had to work on Christmas Day!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the side with the Sheetz, KFC and Arby's unless you want that to be your view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mom 357,
I would like to express my apologies to you in regards to the issues encountered during your stay with us. I was the clerk who checked you out of the hotel and I am sorry if you felt I was rude. I do recall thinking at first that you had purchased your room through a third party site like Hotwire in which I would not be able to refund you monetarily. I did however offer you Priority Club points as compensation to which you declined. I did understand your frustration with the toilet and being late in the evening, however, the toilet simply needed plunged and that could have been taken care of quickly so that you would not have been inconvenienced. I am glad you enjoyed the indoor pool and breakfast and the other staff members you encountered. We hope that you will choose our hotel and the Holiday Inn Brand for your next stay.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here on the way home up north. Pleasant hotel featuring large well kept rooms. We selected a non-smoking room with 2 doubles. Plenty of pillows and warm blankets. Room was fairly clean but noticed some "spots" on bed sham. Some noise was coming from the adjacent gas station where trucks were idling and cars were in and out. The walls of the room are pretty thin. We could here the voices of people next door. Not loud enough to discern what they were saying. Not that we wanted to listen-in on the convo. There was also an intermittent rumple coming from the 3rd floor. Seemed mechanical. If you are a light sleeper, this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Dennis M.
Thank you for taking time our of your schedule to write a nice review about our hotel. I am glad you found the size of the room accomodating however I am sorry that you found the gas station a disturbance during your visit. It does sometimes get noisy if you are located on that end of the hotel. We certainly hope that you will choose our hotel again is you are in the area and we would be happy to place your room on the west side of the hotel away from the station.
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is one of the BEST Holiday Inn Express Hotels we have ever stayed in. My Husband and I are truck drivers and stay in MANY hotels, and This Winchester hotel was one of the BEST!! we will always come back to this one. the buffet next door was AMAZING!! the only not perfect thing was the pillows, they were too soft when they should have been firm, but that will NOT sway me from staying here again, GREAT HOTEL,GREAT PEOPLE, and a GREAT STAY!!!! I suggest THIS hotel to anyone who needs a great night sleep!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Katrinal1925,
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments you shared about our hotel. We can understand how many hotels you stay in because of your occupation and will accept that great compliment with a smile on our face!
We know you have a busy schedule and are happy that you found time to share you experience with others. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night in September of 2012. Got there at 8 pm, and left by 7 am the next morning. It was right off of a busy roadway and behind a Sheetz gas station, so it was convenient to everything I needed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Jay1974usa,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to leave such a nice review about our hotel. We are very conveinent to everything which makes us ideal for the traveler like your self. Easy on and off and close to everything. I do hope that on your next trip you are able to stay a little longer, enjoy our indoor pool and breakfast and visit old town. It is quite the hidden gem.
Once again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cinnaminson, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I don't normally stay at this chain, but this motel was very convenient to my activity and very accomodating. Included hot breakfast was excellant for this tier of motel. Staff was very friendly. Room was spacious and well maintained. Bed was comfortable and a/c could be run with fan only. Basically a quiet place a little off the beaten path. The only drawback, which is not the motel's fault, is the lack of restraunt choices close by. Be cautioned it easy to pass the driveway going back to the hotel.

If your are an N-SSA member - they have a great rate!!!.

Room Tip: Try for ones in the back to avoid morning sun. These are also the quietest. But the hotel is so fa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear John T.
Thank you for the wonderful comments you made about the Holiday Inn Express here in Winchester! We are excited that you chose our hotel (even though we are off the beaten path) and that you were impressed! It means alot that you took the time out of your schedule to provide us positive feeback and I will be sure to share it with my staff!
We are limited in the dining options right next to the hotel but have directions preprinted for almost everyplace in Winchester! Next time your in the area, make sure you check out the historic downtown! It offers about 15 different restaurants you are sure not to miss and is just a short 5 minute drive! See you again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!