“Great, clean and good price.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great, clean and good price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

As we were leaving our room after a good night stay; housekeeping person said: "have a ggod day.". I can't say I have ever heard a best wishes comment from housekeeping in all of my hotel stays. The hotel room was very spacious and accommodating. We arrived after 9pm and were fortunate to get a wonderful suite for a great rate. We had picked up the coupons on the highway rest area and the front desk honored it. The breakfast was satisfactory and rooms very clean. We wood stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Sue B.
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel and staff. We have a policy in place call the 10 step and 5 step rule. Once a guest is with in 10 steps of you we smile and within 5 steps of you we greet you. I am glad to know that this was something you encountered and found it refreshing. Our staff is very friendly and we take great pride in that.
We hope that you will share your experience with others and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

It was clean and staff was friendly and helpful. During the fire alarm (apparently caused by a defective solenoid) there was a professional manager on site to reassure guests as firemen pulled up in full regalia. I think the fire alarm itself was confusing because it was a chirping sound. Many did not evacuate probably because they didn't know it was an alarm. There are 2 Holiday Inn's in Winchester and I believe this is the newer of the two. There was no breakfast which seemed chintzy.

Room Tip: Choose one with a fire alarm that sounds like a fire alarm and not like chirping birds.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Hello,
I believe you were referencing the full service Holiday Inn Historic Gateway in regards to this stay. This location is the newer of the two in Winchester however, our hotel (Holiday Inn Express & Suites) does offer free breakfast with your stay.
Please keep us in mind next time you are in the area.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Booked this hotel for a one night stay on our way back to NJ. We had never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before. We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel itself and our room were extremely clean. The free breakfast included pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, English muffins, biscuits and gravy in addition to cereal, yogurt and fruit. My husband loved the coffee. Definitely worth the price. When we were leaving, my husband said, "I wouldn't hesitate to stay at another one of these hotels." I fully agree.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mistie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Calico696,
Thank you for the wonderful comments you made about our hotel. We take great pride in the service and product we provide and are very happy you were pleased. Since this was your first time in our brand, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay.
We will look forward to greeting you again if you are ever in our area!
Utica, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Had stayed the night before north of Harrisburg, PA at a HIE and had great experience. In comparing the 2 hotels I found the staff at the HIE in Winchester had a very lackadaisical attitude toward the guests. We were there for 2 nights and each morning I had a cold shower. I reported this to the housekeeping, as well as, the front desk staff. There response was "well no one else mentioned it so I don't think there is a problem." We had reserved 2 rooms, in the other room the light over the bath tub "sizzled", again this was reported and we were told that it would be looked at the next day. It was never fixed. The rooms had very sparse toiletries and I had to go looking for soap. On the morning of the second day we went down to breakfast, in the short time we were gone the rooms had been "cleaned". Evidently this means making the beds, partially and changing the towels. There was a spill on the counter that had not been cleaned. There were open containers from the coffee "set-up" that were still left lying about. The room was not vaccumed and the tub was dirty.

The breakfast was free. However, the pancake maker and the toaster were both broken. They were out of a couple of breakfast items which are standard at Holiday Inns.

The cable tv did not work for about 20 hrs of our stay. When I inquired why they said it was out in the entire county. However, later in the day the Comcast repair trucks were at the hotel to fix "their" problem.

I feel that if the management of this HIE took a more proactive interest in this hotel the problems I experienced would not be a problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Brandi958,

I was very upset to read your review on our hotel and I am very sorry that you encountered issues with your stay at our hotel. We certainly do not want any customer to have the feeling of dissapointment in choosing a Holiday Inn Express. As much as we never like poor comments, we always appreciate constructive feedback and use it to make us a better hotel.
Please be assured that I have addressed the problems you had during your stay and hope that you will choose us again on your next stay in Winchester.
Salem, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We like to stop in Winchester VA on our way from NE Ohio to the Outer Banks every year. We have 3 small children and it's nice to break up the drive for them. Last year we stayed at the other Holiday Inn and it was very nice and new but there was no breakfast and it's much further down in town which messed up our travel for the next day b/c the gps took us on a road that was 35mph for a long time. Also we squeezed all 3 kids into one queen and that didn't go very well...
So this year we decided to make the switch to this one. It's older and the beds are full instead of Queen but we got a suite (2 full size beds and a full size pull-out sofa) so our son (who is a kicker in his sleep) could have his own bed. It worked out perfectly and was about the same price. Everyone was well rested, we got to fill up with a nice breakfast (LOVE the pancake machine!) and we were able to just hop right back on the highway instead of taking that back road all the way down. We were on the 1st floor and right across from the pool which I didn't like b/c I was worried about noise. But it actually wasn't bad though. The pool and hot tub was nice b/c it was pretty much just us for about an hour (a big change from the pool last year). We walked across the parking lot to Arby's for dinner (there's also a KFC) and my husband got gas at the Sheetz (I think) that night which was nice b/c it was all connected in the same parking lot. We will most likely stay at this one next time and I would recommend it to anyone, esp travelers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such nice comments about our hotel. We take great pride in the service and product we provide and are thrilled you were happy. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My daughter thought she would surprise me with a visit from Ohio to Winchester. I found out about it and arrainged a last minute stay at this fine facility for her and her family. Jennifer went out of her way to make sure my daughter had a suite and honored our hospital WMC discount since I was the one actually surprising my daughter by paying for it. Thanks Jennifer you are wonderful!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out to acknowledge our great staff. We take pride in the service we provide and were excited to share your nice review.
We hope you will choose our hotel again if you are in the area!
Radcliff KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Visiting family in neighboring Cross Junction this is our second time staying at this property. Check-in was effortless thanks to Priority Club. I had obtained the pre-paid rate for my two night stay and was given the same rate even though I checked in a day early. The staff was helpful and pleasant, the gal maintaining the breakfast area worked her butt off but remained cheerful and courteous. This is the first time I saw the automatic pancake maker. It really made some pretty good pancakes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Spunky007, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Saberblue,
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel. It means alot that you took the time from your busy schedule to leave such a nice review.
It was our pleasure to take care of you and your family during your stay and we will look forward to your next visit.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!