“Fabulous in every sense of the word!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Front Royal, Virginia
“Fabulous in every sense of the word!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For a girls' day out (my 2 daughters, my sister and me) we made arrangements for full "tea" at the Coach & Horses, and our expectations were FAR exceeded! Be prepared for one of the most delightful dining experiences ever. The historic building, surrounded by encroaching housing developments, is located on the outskirts of Winchester, VA. The tea room, expertly run by Mick Mallin and chef, Jane Nelson, dates back to the Colonial era, and has been refurbished and decorated to a "T" (pun intended!). We chose to have the full tea services, which included sweet and savory items as well as our choice of over 50 different teas. The table service was gorgeous, and the entire atmosphere of the rooms is delightful. The tea service included sweet and savory items (see picture below, but the picture was taken after we had eaten a lot of what was on the tiered tray), all of which were delicious. We started with scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam that were amazing. The savory tea sandwiches included pimento cheese, chicken salad, egg salad, cucumber, ham and cheese paninis, and there was also a leek quiche (the only disappointing thing we tasted - too many leeks). The sweets included chocolate mousse with a lady finger and strawberry, shortbread with lemon curd, dark chocolate cups with almond filling and fresh strawberries (my mouth is watering just thinking about these!), several flavors of mini cheesecakes, and apple tartlets. My sister also ordered a green salad, which came with a raspberry viniagrette and she said it was delicious too. The 4 of us tried to eat everything that was presented to us, but we were just too full to finish it all! The tea service is $19 per person, and the salad adds $4, but it is an absolute STEAL of a deal. Other diners near us had the Shepherd's Pie and a sandwich/salad combo that also looked really good. I can't wait to go back, and have a list of friends who I know would absolutely love such an elegant and relaxing meal. For a restaurant that's just a few months old Mick and Jane are doing it right. Thank you both for an absolutely perfect way to start our girls' day.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Winchester, Virginia
“Tea with Good Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Finally had a chance to visit the newest tea room in the area, giving it a good rating.
The scones were perfect...the chicken salad sandwich were the BEST. My decaf green tea was very flavorful. Service was OK, I think they are trying to wear too many hats. They said that they are hiring more staff soon, which would let the owners focus on their duties. Two of my friends finished their tea and were hoping for more, but it was never offered. Just a few suggestions and hoping this tea room GREAT SUCESS... It was an enjoyable and relaxing time with TEA!!!!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stephens City, Virginia
“Perfect cuppa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just opened!!! In a historic location on National register of historic places, once called "Homespun". Beautiful 18th century interior, feels like you are time travelling once you cross the threshold. old wooden floors, cozy rooms w/ low ceilings. Ambience like this can't be recreated. Make reservations since it has a small staff and they will need to ready for you to provide the best service for you. Walk ins are accepted if there is room. They did allow some walk ins when I was there, and please people- know this is a tea house not a cafe. They asked for coffee and was very unimpressed w/ the idea of having tea. I had reserved in advance for me and my husband to have afternoon tea. It was fabulous!!! I have had tea in a lot of locations around the world, including England- and this was one of the best experiences i have ever had. The server was friendly and well educated, the menu had every type of tea imaginable, the food was really good. No complaints from me( and I would tell you for sure). My husband is new to the tea world and was really loving it too, it was his idea to go to have a relaxing few hours. He was just a little, only a little, put out w/ the tea pots cozies. There were floral in design and he wished his was more masculine. I loved mine, it was decorated w/ pansies. The plates and cups were a really nice design too, with a scene of coaches and horses just like their name. I will be coming back and bringing more people too. It was lovely and well done. I forgot to mention that I had the choice of going there or going into DC for tea and I chose wisely and picked here. I won't be going to DC for tea anytime soon..

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Berkeley Springs WV
“Tea Room for Winchester in historic house...very nice!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere and food! Winchester really needed this. Large selections of tea, hot and iced. Located in one of Winchesters oldest homes providing the best place for an english tea room. Prices are very reasonable and portions of english fare are large. Also, available by reservation, are tiered trays full of assorted tea sandwiches, fruits, scones, sweets and more. Will definately be returning often with friends and family! You may want to make reservations...they only had one table not reserved when we went.