“Not what we they advertise online” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Hill Campground

Candy Hill Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Candy Hill Campground
You added Candy Hill Campground to your Saves list
165 Ward Avenue, Winchester, VA   |
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not what we they advertise online”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you are trying to find a place to stay overnight with your RV, while you're on your way up or down 81, this may be a place for you.

HOWEVER, if you are trying to find a place where you want to camp or sightsee, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. Some of the staff were very rude to us. We were in a group of 5, and we just wanted to pop up a tent and enjoy camping away from home. They were very against the idea of us doing this, even though they advertise tent camping online. They were constantly driving their golf carts around our campsite and watching us, even though we were extremely quiet and just sitting around the bonfire.

This campsite backs right up to the highway, so there are not great views. They place all of the campers and rvs right next to each other, even though they have plenty of space on their grounds.

They allow bonfires, but they don't allow you to bring in wood. We understood this, but they were also very rude when we were trying to start up our fire with some of the small sticks we found on the campground. They require you to buy a lighting kit, along with the all of the wood you need.

I must say, the front desk staff are very pleasant, but the grounds people are very rude. We will not be staying here again. This was not worth the trip. I'd much rather stay close to home, than come here again. There is nothing to do at this campground, unless you go in the summertime and make use out of the pool.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Remington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I have read all the reviews on here and I wondered if I stayed at the same campground that was mentioned in these reviews. I checked and it was, They have security cameras that watch over everybody to keep them safe from people that are not honest or trustworthy. The staff has always been helpful and willing to take care of things of concern. Example: There was a large bee's nest on the playground and I went and reported it before I could get back to the playground they had responded and taken care of the nest. I have camped at Candy Hill many times and will continue to stay there. I found the shower house and campgrounds very clean and several new sites being put in. The sites are a litle small but I was able to park my 31 ft. motorhome in a site with no problem and was comfortable on the site. The store is nice and it is clean, well stocked with food, camping needs, milk, drinks, and little items for memories. True it is next to busy highways but I never lost a minute's sleep due to the traffic noise. The staff was very friendly and courteous to me. I personally think it is a quiet place to enjoy your camping experience.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
West Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

We spent three nights at Candy Hill, using it as our base camp for a visit to Camping World for a new hot water heater, a day visiting Harpers Ferry, and a day driving Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. We are traveling with a pickup and fifth-wheel, so having the fifth-wheel parked at the campground made sightseeing much more pleasant. The campground is right off Virginia Highway 37, so relatively convenient. We weren't bothered by the road noise, but I don't hear much when I remove my hearing aids.

Our site was a back-in and we parked our fifth-wheel with help from the staff. The site was tight, but that wasn't an issue when we were parking because the adjacent sites were empty. Our neighbors arrived later. The staff with whom we dealt were friendly.

The camp store was above average, well stocked, and with lots of RV parts. We didn't use the pool or the bathhouse, so can't comment on them. The grounds were clean. We were using the campground as a place to sleep, not as a destination resort.

The WiFi is free for an hour (every 12 hours), or you can pay for additional time. While I prefer free WiFi, the paid services often work better because they aren't as overloaded. We had cellular service from both Verizon and AT&T, so we used our free hour, then switched to the cellular data service.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

In 8000 miles of travel this summer, this was the most undesirable place we stayed. Staff is
not customer friendly-all they want is your money. Not worth what they charge per nite. Have
to pay extra for WIFI, cable, such as it is, is still analog and very difficult to watch. Visitors
are charged $4.00, from 3 years old and up and regardless of whether they stay for a half
hour or all day. Park is extremely noisy--two major highways very close and full of traffic
from cars and semi-trucks. We shortened our stay and it cost us $100.00. Would never stay
here again nor would we recommend it to any of our RV friends. We are full-time RV'ers.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Austerlitz, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

At the end of a long driving day a little politeness goes a long way. You won't find friendliness in the office here. Rudeness rules. Campground is right on a busy highway, with the kind of noise you would expect from that location. Find another place to stay. Pass on this place. You surely can do better.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Upside: Grounds are clean, sites have a tree or two, close to I81, well-stocked camp store, safe and well-patrolled--actually over-patrolled. Open till 10 pm (check hours on their website) if you happen to need a port in a storm.

Downside: Sites can be as small as 12' x 36'. "Pull through" site is actually 2 sites--your trailer can hang over into the other half of your asphalt strip if the campground isn't full. Picnic table is coated steel and just 48" long.

Stayed August 2014
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Having read some of the reveiws prior to our stay I was a bit concerned. I found out there was nothing to be concerned about. Staff was friendly and helpful. The showers were very clean. They do ride around in golf carts and the staff does enforce the rules. My wife and I both commented that we have been to many campgrounds that post rules they don't enforce and it is annoying! It was nice to stay at a place were the rules matter, it made the stay much better. Also, the rules are nothing crazy, pretty standard actually. My kids are all teenagers and they liked the store and the gameroom. There is some highway moise and the camper spaces were a little tight as other have noted, but overall a really nice place. Winchester is a great town with plenty to do and we most certainly plan to return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Candy Hill Campground? Share your experiences!