“Very enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Hill Campground

Candy Hill Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Candy Hill Campground
Save Saved
You added Candy Hill Campground to your Saves list
165 Ward Avenue, Winchester, VA   |
Burke, Virginia
“Very enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Having read some of the reveiws prior to our stay I was a bit concerned. I found out there was nothing to be concerned about. Staff was friendly and helpful. The showers were very clean. They do ride around in golf carts and the staff does enforce the rules. My wife and I both commented that we have been to many campgrounds that post rules they don't enforce and it is annoying! It was nice to stay at a place were the rules matter, it made the stay much better. Also, the rules are nothing crazy, pretty standard actually. My kids are all teenagers and they liked the store and the gameroom. There is some highway moise and the camper spaces were a little tight as other have noted, but overall a really nice place. Winchester is a great town with plenty to do and we most certainly plan to return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Rude staff, they yell at you while they are supposedly guiding you back into your spot, and I do mean yell, and very nasty too, noisy, next to the highway, unclean, in need of repair shower rooms, nozzles on the showers ancient and dribble (how hard or expensive could that be to replace?) employees racing around on golf carts like militia. Better to stop alongside the highway, you'd be a much happier camper. I was there at the beginning of June 2014 and swore I would write a review. I had such a bad feeling for the place, it took me awhile to make myself think about it again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Weeki Wachee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here because it was the only campground in the area....NEVER again...We reserved a premium pull threw site 2 months ago....somehow we got bumped to a "back in" spot that they still charged us the premium rate of $51.00...The guy that showed us to our site was very rude....Everything was extra...the wifi you had to pay for & they want all your personal info to use it...( we refused & used our data plan on our iPad ) Our son came by to pick us up & leave for the day, they charged $4.00 for him to come on the property...After a trip to Walmart I had forgotten to put the hang tag back up in our car...the same RUDE man ran out of the office & yelled at me...The cable was a joke. You can't see any of the channels all were too snowy. Weather channel was the only one we could watch. And only had 3 channels on the antenna....Had the office lady come to look & she said it was our connection....( We are at our next campground now & cable works just fine ) ....We did talk to several people camping around us, they all said the same thing NEVER again would they camp here....We did not use the pool or the bathrooms, so can't comment on them...The laundry was very old & dirty washers.....Also the road noise was very loud & we were in the very back of the campground. Over all we were very disappointed in the campground & the rude man in the office....

Room Tip: Don't stay here....You would be better spending the night in the Walmart parking lot or a rest a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Read the other recent reviews and can, for the most part, agree. Not the place for an extended stay as it is right off the highway, not only the noose was distracting but watching the cars and trucks whiz by didn't help. The spaces are very tight and the place could be laid out much better. Did not enjoy having the miniature picnic table practically on top of our neighbors sewer line, and yes we did move it around but there are limited options in the tight space. The staff was friendly enough and did patrol the area frequently, but left people alone for the most part. The pool and playgrounds were nice, the "kiddie pool" was straight from a discount store, but then camp store was pretty nice with lots of items. The bathhouse was in a word disgusting. Our water heater went out the last day, so needed to use their facilities. Like the rest of the campground, the bathhouse was very tight, offered no privacy, was dated, dirty with hair on the walls of the showers. So, all in all if you need a quick overnight off the highway while traveling its ok, other wise keep moving. They did have a trolley that runs from the campground into Winchester.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Finishing our 5th stay here and WILL be back again!!! My family and the friends staying will us will agree that the OWNERS Carl and Selena Littman treat you like family... There staff are very professional and greet you with a smile and a warm welcome.

• Stayed July 2014
Muncy, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My family and I stayed at Candyhill June 21/22 we were supposed to stay the 23 as wel, however we chkse to leave and go to a pet friendly hotel, They knew when we registered that we had a dog, after returning from supper aapproximately 9:30 pm the warden was waiting for us at the gait. He follwed us to our cabin informed us we were IN VIOLATION because we had the dog in our cabin ( it's supposed to be a pet friendly place, my pet stays in my house why would I make him stay outside on vacation). He then did a head count and there were 6 people (he included my 5 year old grandson) we again were again IN VIOLATION. So I told him I would sleep in the car with the dog and solve the whole problem to which he yelledat me saying that was agsinst the law in Fredrick County, then yelled again to go to Walmart buy a tent and rent another site now at 10 pm. At this time so I didnt do sometning I would regret we packed up our camp and rented a hotel room were my dov was truely welcome and better yet my 5 year old grandson. Now for the cabin we stayed in while we were at Candyhill, when we first arrived there was a foul odor of death, assuming somthing had made its way unddr the cabin and died we closedup the cabinand turned the air on for the evening that only made it worse upon inspecting the unit my husband found it caked with absolute black mold and disgust. This unfortunately wasn't till morning and my grandson was already exposed and sick for the rest of the weekend. The showers were disgusting and required attention which ig did not get. The poolwas not cleaned and paint from the bottom was flaking off and floating in the pool. There is cameras all over the campground and while we were actually in the poolthe mean old man on his golfcart parked undsr a shade tree and watched my girls swim eww, we left the pool area immediately. It is also blatant that this place makes the women do most of the work one nice lady brought us firewood, stood ontop of the bathroom sink to change the light bulb without anyone spotting her for safety, this is something the young folks that work there could do. Not only did we not like it there but it seems many of the workers dont either. Again its not worth rating say at your own risk

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Muncy, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had a group of 9 adults and 2 small children. We booked a tent site and a cabin. The tent site was so small we had to pitch the tent on the stones where we were meant to park. The cabin was as we expected, a double bed with a bunk and another bunk bed. The fire ring that came with the cabin wasn't cleaned out and was filled with cigarette butts and other assorted garbage. There were two very nice female staff members at the camp but the rest of the staff was horribly rude. One even went through the cabin while me and my family were out to supper! We were told the pool was heated and it wasn't. In fact it needs to be drained, repainted and resealed unless you like swimming around with little pieces of paint chips. The owner would sit in the golf cart and stare inappropriately while we were enjoying the pool. A toilet in the laughably small bath house was clogged when we got there and never taken care of even by the time we left. The showers offer very little privacy and even littler amount of hot water. All the showers I took were barely room temperature. Someone had tracked mud and grass into one shower and even though i reported the disgusting conditions of the bathroom to the office it was never taken care of. Like I said, unless you shower in a swimsuit, if your not careful you'll give anyone in the bathhouse a show, there is no place to dry off and change in the bath house except the shower stall or out in the open. My husband and I, my brother and sister in law and my daughter stayed at the tent site and took it down by the required time but hung out with my husbands parents at the cabin all day. Around 4pm we were in the pool deciding where to go for supper with my husbands younger sister said that one of the camp employees just demanded that my husband go pay for an all-day pass or leave because we took our tent down and were supposed to be gone by 11am. Completely understandable, but we should have been told we had to pay for this pass when we checked out, not at 4pm when we were getting ready to leave for dinner! Do not stay here! Your better off making a reservation at a prison then go here!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Candy Hill Campground? Share your experiences!