“Extra charge for a pull thru site ?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Hill Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Candy Hill Campground
165 Ward Avenue, Winchester, VA   |
USA
“Extra charge for a pull thru site ?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Yup. It's considered a 'Premium Site'. The only time in all my years of camping that I've been squeezed in this way. Incidently, their pricing doesn't even make sense. The online pricing chart (take a look at the prices on their web site) indicates that the 'Premium Sites' have water electric and sewer. Not the one that I sit on as I write this. No sewer at this 'Premium' pull thru. Checked on the shower facility. Not good. Do yourself a favor, avoid these gougers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Winchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend staying at this campground. If just stopping in for an overnight stay while in transit, then maybe it's ok. Certainly seems as though this is what the owners seem to cater too. As others have mentioned, the staff is for the most part very helpful but are scared to be caught associating with customers. The cost is extremely high. I'm not at this campground for an overnight stay. I've been here for 9 months as I'm working in the Winchester area. The convenience of this campground being so close to where I'm working is the only magnet that holds us here. What others have said about feeling watched at all times is very true. I compare it to being in a compound. You do not have the ability to call a repair service to work on your RV. The owners will only allow who they want to come in. I can't list in detail all of the issues here I've witnessed or experienced. From dealing with icey roads when we came in and watching a friend jackknife his RV crashing it into a stored Class A to charging me an additional $20 due to the fact that I called to pay for my lot rent during a time that I had went home for vacation. Excuse was this was due to not having card in hand to make the transaction. (Yes, my camper was still sitting on its lot)
Nearly all of the lots are somewhat shaded with trees which helps with shade, but this also makes a mess of your camper. Especially for log term stays. Of course there a rule against washing your RV. You have to do it in the rain so Mother Nature can supply you with rinse water.
This could be a decent place to stay even though the lots are as mentioned, very small. The owners really need to be educated as to how to deal with customers as well as their own employees.
I'm really surprised that Good Sams endorses this campground. There is a Campers World just down the road, but don't expect to be able to recieve onsite service from them. The owners won't allow them in either.

• Stayed October 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The only advise I can give the owners/managers of this campground is:
If you don't want people camping on your land, DON"T open a campground!!
The workers patrol the campground like it is a maximum security prison. The is a bank of video monitors in the office with a worker "keeping watch" over the entire park. I'm surprised there isn't a watch tower with armed guards.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Somewhere in KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We picked Candy Hill based upon their website. However, upon arrival we were scolded for not noticing the stop sign that said to "stop here to register." We had been driving for 10 hours, and it was late. We were rather tired. Then we were rebuked for not getting out of our vehicle to register quickly enough. The bathrooms were NOT "squeaky clean." In fact, the garbage wasn't taken out for a couple of days. The showers made me cringe with the mold. The staff drove around the campsite as they monitor everyone, yet they never smile. After the second day, we began to feel like we were prisoners of Candy Hill rather than guests. Everything at this place has a charge. It was our first experience at a private campground, and Candy Hill has made us never want to try another one out. It appears to be family run, with the "family" in different houses on the grounds, so you can never get away from the feeling you are always being watched. On top of that, you are right beside the highway, and it is noisy. I would not recommend this campsite to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This campground is very well maintained. It is close to a highway but not that annoying. It's basically an overnight spot for people travelling to and from Florida. The campground is run like a Marine post. The workers are all afraid of the guy running the place so there are no smiles or good mornings but it is what it is. You get the feeling that they could care less because the place is usually always filled. The bathrooms are clean and include hot showers. I did not find the prices in the store to be excessive although some might. There is a $4 visitor fee which is now usually charged by all campgrounds.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Grottoes, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed over Labor Day weekend. I have to agree with the other review that said it feels like you are being watched like a military base. I got the same feeling. We didn't have sewer hookup so we had to use the bath house. It's okay...nothing special. There are no shelves to put anything on like soap, shampoo, etc. I had to set it on the floor. The shower curtain didn't even cover the entire opening. When you're done with the shower you have to reach outside the shower to a bench and grab your towel and clothes. It's just not a good setup. All that being said, the campground is very well kept and very clean. The close proximity to the interstate, Walmart, IHOP, Applebee's are all a plus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our second time staying at Candy Hill. We've had great experiences both times. The staff is friendly and our request for sites were met. As we overnighted both times we didn't get to enjoy the facility's pool, etc. Easy access from the freeway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Candy Hill Campground? Share your experiences!