“Fairfield excellent as always” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fairfield excellent as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

This Fairfield was just what we expected. When we travel and need a place to stay we check our Fairfield locations book first. Kitchen had a friendly efficient staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

To be fair, I am not a Fairfield Inn customer, but the Courtyard was full and we were visiting our daughter so --I thought I'd use my reward points (I am a very frequent Marriot traveler) here.
First, when we arrived they told me our reservation had been cancelled. I would have been the one to cancel and I had not done that. Although they would "reinstate" it...they kept asking me if I had just forgotten canceling. I think this was code for they didn't believe me. Someone else must have cancelled his/her reservation and at the hotel someone cancelled mine by mistake. Honestly, how do I say this nicely, the woman checking us in was less than quick.
Then, they gave us a room that opened onto the lobby. I couldn't believe it. When I balked, they did switch it.
Next, they had me sign a highlighted piece of paper that basically said if I smoked in the room they would charge me. I stay in hotels for business and pleasure about 125 nights a year. This was a first. It was a bit insulting.
But, the bottom line was that the room was the size of a postage stamp --beds were uncomfortable, the linen --I guess this is why its a category 1 hotel -- the air conditioner blew right on to a bed. It was just horrible.
So, maybe this is what you get with a Fairfield Inn ---and thus it will be my last attempt to stay in one. But, honestly, we cancelled after the first night and went to Aloft --not for "free" because I didn't have the points but for what I think was about the same price ---under $100. It wasn't a 5-star either (hard to find one in Winchester, Virginia) --but it was comfortable, spacious, great staff and certainly live-able.
This survey asks for value...this was a reward stay --I was paying NOTHING --and it wasn't a good value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Ashburn, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Winchester and it was pretty nice. The room (1 bedroom suite) was very spacious, and the bathroom is huge. Nice sitting and working area. Fabulous breakfast for a lower end hotel chain: fruit, fresh waffles, egg sandwiches, cereal, bagels, yogurt, etc. Pool is nice but water was very cold and hot tub was foamy. Not sure why. Hotel was very quiet, which was nice because we had just left a hotel w/two large, loud dogs directly across the hall. Had several issues with the room, unfortunately. The TV receptor for the remote would work for about five minutes, then stop accepting the signal and we'd have to unplug the TV, wait and plug it back in. Also several of the stations just weren't available. Have had this issue in other Marriotts so I'm wondering if the new system they've gone to has problems. The tub stop wouldn't go down so I had to give my son a bath in another room, and when I showered the shower head sprayed water out the top. I did report these issues, so hopefully they'll be fixed. The staff seemed very responsive, and the woman who made my reservation and checked us in was really great. Hotel is very convenient to I-81 and there are probably 30 dinner options within a mile, including some great local options. Very convenient to Shenandoah University, as well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Keystone Heights, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We had a two bed room as all the kings were taken even though we were assured we would get a king. The room was quite small with the two beds in it. The wifi didn't work because we were told our room was too far from the front desk. We were mid hallway on the 2nd floor.

We were booked to stay in this hotel until the end of September and checked out after the second night because of all the bugs and dirt - didn't leave the first because had to find another to move to. The room even smelled dirty. When the housekeeper vacuumed there was a plume of dust and dirt flying around the room making it smell even worse. The mattresses were around 4 inches thick and very hard.

There were spiders and centipedes in the bathroom.

The water in the pool and whirlpool was a blackish gray...told it was ok to swim in as it often looked like that.

We were hesitant to eat the breakfast included because of the rest of the hotel's condition.

I would like to add that the staff was very pleasant. We would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

The hotel is always clean. The staff personable and helpful. We travel to Winchester several times a year to visit our daughter who is a student at nearby Shenandoah University.

Cornwall, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stopped in at the Fairfield Marriott on our way home to Canada from a trip to Florida. We used a coupon from Travelers' Coupons we got at the Virginia border -- so it was a good rate: $74 US for a King Room. We stayed at this hotel as I accumulate points as an Elite Marriott Member. The staff at front desk were very welcoming and check in was easy. We were merely stopping in to sleep -- it was 9:10 pm, the stop was off I-81N and we were heading back out by 7am. We were disappointed with the quality of the room -- it did not have the Marriott feel. The bed was not very comfortable and we are not fussy -- the bedding was not that desirable -- the bathroom was old and shower not that appealing -- old shower curtain! and the towels were small and very cheap! We really did not feel this was Marriott's standard. We did get a good night's sleep and we were pleased that the hotel offered a continental breakfast from 6 am -- so we got a bit to eat before setting out! The staff were very friendly! We have stayed at other Fairfield's on our way -- this one was outdated. We could not complain as the rate was good for travellers getting the on or off Interstate. The hotel needs some remodelling and bedding a towels of better quality to be of Marriott standards. We were thankful the rate was good!

newport news va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

The front desk was very friendly and accommodating. They gave us a little chocolate gift for being a Silver Elite customer and a listing of all the local restaurants they recommend. The room was sufficient and very clean with a refrigerator and microwave. The location was great for getting to Market-Miller orchards. Overall it was a great experience. We have stayed here before, also.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!