“A gem in Winchester” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Brooklyn, New York
“A gem in Winchester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were headed to a Civil War Re-enactment (observers, thank you - not ready to enlist), and needed a place to stay. This was the cleanest, happiest and most friendliest place we experienced on this trip. We called the site, rather than booking online and got heaps of advice from the front desk person. (hint: stop at a rest area on 81 and pick up the red booklet with discount coupons to save $$)

The breakfast is better than most, but doesn't satisfy a 'foodie' as it is largely Sysco Systems based. Still, they are sincere and went out of their way to accommodate everyone on our party. The pool was heavily chlorinated (good, I think) and smallish. - But they have one, which is a plus.

For the price it was great value and we'd stay there again next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed at this Sleep Inn in July 2012. Since we travel a lot through the area, I try to stay in different hotels. Booked our room through Choice Privileges. On arrival we saw many cars and bikes on the parking lot, it seemed to be a busy property. The price was very nice, we paid only $ 77 with tax. I do not think one will find a mid-scale hotel for this price along I-81. Most places charge around $ 99 - 109. We decided to stay at this hotel because of the indoor swimming pool, the fact they do not accept pets, close to the interstate and comments from Tripadvisor.com. When we arrived it was almost 6:00 pm, there were two receptionists behind the counter - a lady and a young man. They were very friendly and knowledgeable. Young man even informed us where to park our vehicle to be able to see it from our room. That was a really nice touch! Before we went to our room, they counted amenities and showed the breakfast place, business center, exercise room and pool. Room was clean, had two beds. Four pillows on each. The interesting thing about the room it was cool, the air conditioner unit was on. That was a great thing especially on hot days like that. When I went downstairs to bring my bags, the gentleman behind the desk offered his help. He took my bags and on the way to my room showed the location of ice and coke machines. My room was on 3rd floor, so I did not have to go downstairs for ice. The TV was an old style but had many channels. Bathroom was well lit, however there were not enough towels for two adults and a kid. Had to call and ask them to bring another set. Our room had a small coffee maker with a metal carafe, white microwave, black fridge, a couple of coffee cups. Beds were clean and very comfortable. No strange smells. Pillows were regular size. No big deal, almost the same size in every other hotel. It was a quite night.

Next morning we went to pool, it was very warm in the pool area. I had to open the side door to have some fresh air. Water temperature was decent. I need to point out that the floor near the elevator is very slippery. Be very careful when coming out of the pool area.

Breakfast area looked very modern with nice colors. Only cons are the chairs, they were really hard to sit for a longer time. Tables were little smaller for a family of three people. Coffee was nice and plenty, the only problem - only one type of creamer. We enjoyed hot waffles and yogurt. I can not say it was a 100% hot breakfast. Did not eat sausages, as I believe it must be a processed meat.

Did not have chance to use their business center or the exercise room. Used wireless Internet, worked well, no issues.

We were checked out by a very nice lady in a very formal uniform. Despite the uniform, she was very cheerful. However she did not have a name tag. For our compliments about our nice stay, fast check in and nice associates, she informed us that she knows ladies only work behind the desk. For our question who was the man, she smiled and said that must be the general manager and handed the business card with manager's name Beck Kasymbekov.

Overall we liked our stay at this hotel and would definitely return back. It was a great experience to see such a nice and smiling people, and especially the general manager who offered his help like a regular employee. We were truly impressed by their service.

One thing to note, I did not check if the hotel allowed smoking in the rooms. It seems like Virginia is becoming a smoke free area. :)

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the front parking lot.
Huddersfield, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed for one night while on the road in July. On arrival, the receptionist was very helpful in explaining how to use my Choice Hotel Intl points to pay for the night (which was great!). The indoor pool was very nice, as was the breakfast the next day. The rooms are a little dated, but the free wifi was very fast. I shall certainly return when i'm next in the area.

Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We travel every summer with our son who uses a wheelchair. We asked for a "wheelchair room" and booked this 2 months in advance. Our room was spacious and clean, with comfortable beds. We enjoyed the indoor pool (a big reason for booking this hotel) and we always take our goggles in case of chlorine problems. (the chlorine was not a problem that day) The breakfast area was clean and well-stocked, with fresh fruit, make-your-own waffles, hard-boiled eggs and sausage patties. I suspect our room was nicer than others' reviewed recently precisely because it is a handicapped designated room, and therefore the carpet has been less used, etc. The staff was wonderful to us at every encounter.

Room Tip: Ask if the handicapped room is available if not being used that night by others.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Great place to stay in a great location! I was impressed with the cleanliness and the amenities that were available nearby. My wife and I really enjoyed using the pool and workout areas. The bed was comfortable and everything worked well. I will be back at this location during my next visit to Winchester!

Williamsburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I used my points as a Plat. Elite Member for Choice and was celebrating my wedding anniversary but brought the kids on our trip, so contacted the hotel days in advance to ask for an upgrade to a suite (which is common at most choice hotels). The manager never called me back to let me know that the answer is no, but it is available if I want to pay the extra. That's ok, understand, so I check in (after being notified that the manager left a note for me to say the answer is no, he won't give me a suite upgrade) and the room on the 1st floor they put me in (because I have kids and they want all kids on the ground floor per the desk lady), the room had hair in the sheets, wall paper falling off the wall and just not what I'd expected, so I went back to my desk, she gave me another room (1st floor again, because I have kids) and the same thing, dust in the room, wall paper falling apart, so finally go back again and she gives me 3rd floor, there is another hair on the pillow, stains on the walls. At this point, I take the pillow down stairs to the lady as I return the luggage cart to the lobby and told her I will just deal with it, now that it is around midnight. The lady when I hand her the pillow gets frustrated that I'm keep coming down as if I'm inconveniencing her. The next morning, no call from the manager, no appology at checkout. I'm wishing I would've stayed at the Country Inn & Suites again down the road and just pay the money instead of using my points. Lesson learned, you pay for what you get!

Room Tip: Stay at the Country Inn & Suites instead!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manager G, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear David S,

Thank you for taking your time to post your feedback about the Sleep Inn & Suites, Winchester, VA. I am sorry we did not meet the service standards expected from our hotel. Please note that we continuously take initiatives in recognition of our most valued guests, consistency, and take great pride with the relationships we have built with Choice Privileges Elite members. We would like to provide little more information about the points: Choice Privileges Members can either earn Choice Privileges points, Airline miles or Amtrak Guest Rewards. There are Elite Gold, Elite Platinum and Elite Diamond membership levels available. Any Choice Privileges member can redeem or use points for a free night. However the Complimentary Free upgrade to a Suite is only available for the Elite Diamond members and depends on hotel’s availability. The day you called us, you were informed that we had only rooms with two double beds available, all our Suites were sold and we were not able to offer an upgrade. Please note that the points for a free night cover the standard room only.
We sincerely apologize for not being able to offer a Suite upgrade.

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The appearances of the hotel, the lobby and the elevator are good but the carpet on the corridor of each floor is stained and dirty. The room has really old dirty carpet with really bad smell. The window can not be opened to reduce the smell. The pillows are half standard sizes. Bathroom fan is just decorative.

Room Tip: Book your room at Marriott hotel on the opposite side of the street or Hampton Inn around the corner...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!