“Worth a trip from DC...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Washington DC
“Worth a trip from DC...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family and I discovered Winchester, Virginia a year ago when we were refugees from the derecho that took out power in Norther Virginia.

Winchester is an amazing little town made more so by the food scene there. In our second trip to Winchester a few days ago we discovered a new restaurant that really blew our socks off. The chef cares deeply about what he is doing and we returned there three times in two days, two dinners and one breakfast. I had a smoked pork-chop that was huge and flavorful. My wife had a most remarkable salmon with a tasty mustard sauce. For breakfast I had a strudel of egg and sausage. Did I say there are German notes to this menu? The chef-owner is inspired by the recipes of his German mother.

Only problem with the place is the uninspired service. The waiters are largely not interested in either the food or good service. They do not represent the restaurant very well.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Berryville, Virginia
“Sunday Brunch, Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've been here a few times and every time has been awesome! I haven't been in for there regular menu in a while, but based on what they have for there Sunday brunch I'm sure its still amazing. I had the Black Forest waffles which came with potatoes and a delicious vanilla whipped cream, no syrup and barely any butter needed for this. SOOO GOOD! My friend god the tortilla soup, which had these little toasty crunchy bites on top which was the perfect touch. And oh yeah the soup was good too of course. And if your a beer or wine person lets just say wall to wall choices, literally.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good food and good beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This has become our favorite Bistro in Winchester. The food is always VERY good, though service can sometimes be rather slow. The grilled cheese with tomato fondue is amazing, and all the German specialties (e.g., Wurst Platter, dijon salmon, etc.) are very tasty and pretty authentic. If that's not enough, you have an entire wall of national and international beers to choose from, as well as a whole wall of wines. We always leave with a "make your own 6-pack" of a variety of beers to try at home. Highly recommend this place!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“2 visits and looking forward to another”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This place is great. The appetizers look and taste amazing. This is not a place for get cheese fries. The baked brie, cranberries, mixed greens, and toasted baguette slices was fantastic. The specials are always good and every dish is cooked wonderfully. The portions are great too, not huge but you don't leave hungry.
We had the apple streudel and ice cream for dessert. Great!
Local places are so much better. Teir food is so fresh and the flavors are great.
We've had the same waiter twice and he was great. Kept up with our drinks but left us alone enough so we can have a conversation.
Looking forward to our next visit.

Visited February 2013
Winchester, Virginia
“Great food, Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Me and my husband have made this our new favorite restaurant. I LOVE the grilled cheese with tomatoe bisque and my husband loves EVERYTHING here! I love the wall of different funky beers and wine. The service is excellent and the staff are friendly. We recently brought my father in law here with us as well and he asked when we were coming back. This is definately a go to place where you cant go wrong with anything you pick!

• Visited February 2013