“Wonderful new space.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 16 Attractions in Winchester
Type: Science Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Our mission at the Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum is to ignite creativity, spark curiosity and inspire learning in visitors of all ages by providing a rich variety of interactive, hands-on exhibits and programs that focus on the sciences and mathematics, the humanities, and the arts.All exhibits, activities and experiences provided by the Discovery Museum adhere to the following philosophical guidelines:Exhibits, activities and programs are interactive, participatory and informal, and give visitors opportunities to experiment, have fun playing, use their imaginations and share ideas.Visitors are engaged at their own level of expertise and experience.Activities and programs are multi-sensory, authentic, honest, and factual.The Museum works in a spirit of cooperation and partnership with educational, cultural, governmental and community organizations.
Tallahassee, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful new space.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This museum has moved recently from the downtown mall to a newly renovated building nearby. What a wonderful space. Still has many of the same fun exhibits. My daughter loves the apple packing plant exhibit.

Visited July 2014

york, pa
23 attraction reviews
“New location is awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I took my 6 year old nephew to the museum and he had a great time. We spent 1/2 the day there, got our hands stamped and went out for lunch. After lunch we went back for more fun! The apple shed area was his favorite because he could move around. He also like the roller coaster area. The snake was a bit shy today and only had his head showing (which was more than enough for me!). The roof-top view is cool, you can see a lot of Winchester. I would definitely recommend this as a great place to take the kids. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Visited June 2014
37 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My mom and I took my 13 month old daughter to visit the museum at its new location. Next the museum is a town parking lot with meters-so bring coins. If you go on their website, we found a $1 off per ticket coupon that we printed. Kids under 2 are free. My daughter had an awesome time playing in the museum. They have so many stations, including digging up dinosaur bones, playing in an ambulance, playing in a longhouse, building blocks, giant Lincoln Log type items, books, science, etc. We loved it.

I do have one concern and 2 suggestions for improvement, and the reason why I gave it a 4 and not a 5. The concern is the water station gets very slippery. It was too high for younger children and they had step stools available, which my daughter used. But the stools are painted wood and got very slippery as the kids lean over into the water. My daughter slipped and fell into the water, cutting her cheek. It wasn't major, but I think some rubber matting on the stools would greatly help.

In the building section, they have tables with different construction materials on each--trucks, Legos, Lincoln Logs, etc. The tables are too high for little kids and my daughter had to sit on my lap on a stool to reach. Having 2 of the tables lower with the little kid-friendly toys would help. Also, having some Duplos for the younger ones would be awesome as they are too little for Legos.

Finally, since it is a kid museum, designed for kids of all ages, I'd appreciate a place to nurse. Everything is a large open space, which makes it hard. On the roof there is a small room with chairs that would have worked, except it was locked.

Visited June 2014
Winchester, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“AWESOME for kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My daughter and I recently visited the new Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum and loved it. It's much like the old one, with many of the same features, but spread throughout a much larger building. She played for hours. It's a true, authentic hands on experience at a very cheap price. The top floor (or roof top deck) was not open the day we visited, but we can't wait to go back. The place is a gem!

Visited May 2014
VB, VA
6 attraction reviews
“The whole family enjoyed it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We brought 12 adults and 5 children (ages 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8) to the Discovery Musuem while staying in Winchester to celebrate birthdays. It was a perfect spot for us to spend our Saturday morning and afternoon out of the hotel! The staff was extremely friendly and there was plenty for all of us to stay busy with and have fun. We spent about 3 hours here exploring all of their different activities great for all ages. It was not crowded at all (even with our large group), and perfectly priced. If we lived nearby, we would go here all the time!

Visited February 2014