“Disappointed about pet charge, but my mistake” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Selma,NC
“Disappointed about pet charge, but my mistake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We have stayed at this location on numerous occasions and have always had a great experience. The employees have always been professional and the location has been suitable for our racing trips to Charles Town. The rooms are spacious and clean and the breakfast is on par with most locations. Due to medical issues, my wife and I had not been to Winchester in 2014 and were really caught off guard with the new pet fee (always been free before). I went back to their web site and sure enough, the information was there. My fault! Guess we will have to look elsewhere or not bring our 10 year old beagle (not an option!) Sorry Marriott made this business decision, but La Quinta is still pet free and we love Kentucky just as much. We are going to miss our trips to the area, especially the Chopstick Café. I understand this is a personal decision, but I hate it when a business offers something for years and then turns greedy.
Great location for people traveling with pets if you are willing to pay the $75 fee. I'm not!

Room Tip: If you can, get a top floor room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had planned to come here for a few days and stay while we hike Shenandoah Valley. We are Marriott rewards members and always stay at a Marriott branch if possible! Sad to say a few times we have been let down (Renaissance Pittsburg) but not this trip!! I read reviews prior to coming, and I must admit I was hesitant about staying here due to what some guests said. After being here, I'm SO relieved to find out those people complaining... were just those people in life that are never happy! We were greeted by a manager training Jose, a new employee. Both were VERY welcoming! We got to our room and it was very nice and clean. We were VERY happy with the condition of the room. The ONLY thing we even noticed after inspecting the room was the ceiling had been repaired at some point and spackled and the texture in that area was inconstant with the rest of the ceiling... seriously, that's the only thing we could find wrong! We wandered Winchester and actually found ourselves eager to get back to the hotel and our room to relax and unwind and prepare for a day of hiking. I would most definitely recommend this establishment! We have been to many Marriott's... Ones we have spent quite a bit of money on... This was one of the LEAST costly rooms we have stayed in and I must say we are probably just as thrilled with it as hire tiered locations! We will be here a few days, and very happy for that!

Stayed August 2014
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is not maintained to the same standard as other TownPlace hotels we have stayed at in the past. Our room was not sound proofed at all and we had a sleepless night. The tiny room was not very clean at all, there was dirt around the baseboards and the bed linens looked like they hadn't been changed. We went to the front desk to ask them to call the family upstairs and ask them to quieten down their children, nothing changed. The pool was less than clean and so we didn't use it. The hallway and our room carpets had large stains we were told the halls were shampooed once a week, when we saw the carpet cleaner it was a regular cleaner that I have at home, certainly not capable of cleaning large areas. The breakfast area lady was very nice but she was upset because there were ants in the cereal dispenser and she had to remove it. For a Marriott hotel this one fails horribly and needless to say we will never stay here again. It is such a shame because now we are uncomfortable staying at any TownePlace Suites. We have always stayed at Hampton Inns by Hilton and we recommend them, they are consistently high standard.

Room Tip: Don't recommend any room here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
jose h, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Winchester, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Canada Belbel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. We are working very hard to continually improve our property and to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will exceed their expectations. Your comments indicate that you had a number of areas in which we failed to meet your expectations for which I sincerely apologize. I will share your comments to the appropriate department heads that are certain to take the corrective steps needed to improve their areas.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.

Sincerely

Jose Herrera
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This has to be the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We have stayed at other TownPlace hotels and they were really good so we were horrified when we walked into this one. We should have turned around and left but we had been travelling a long time and were exhausted. We were so upset we emailed the manager Jose Herrera immediately, it is 3 days later and he has not bothered to respond.

Soiled carpets in hallways
Pool looks clear until you get close!
Sleepless night due to EXCESSIVE noise from the room upstairs, kids jumping off the bed.
Bed linens had stains on them.
Filthy room with dirty garbage cans with no liners.
Air conditioner clogged with debris and filth
Furniture soiled pull out couch mattress had springs poking up.
No cereals, we were informed that there was and ant problem and so they had removed
all cereals.
Receptionist said she had no authority to make any adjustments to our account.
Bottom line... STAY AWAY. We have taken this issue to Marriott as I'm sure they would not like a review like this ad Mr. Herrera the manager should be fired. !!!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
Dear Isobel,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. My team and I are working very hard to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will exceed our guest expectations. Your comments showed that we did not achieve that goal. For this, I sincerely apologize.
Please know that your experience was not the norm and corrective action has been taken immediately.

Please know we value your business and hope you will give us an oppertunity in the future

Sincerely

Jose Herrera
Burnside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

It accepts pets. This hotel had a learning curve for me. I found out that housekeeping is not allowed to open closed doors. This policy is probably to keep pets contained. It was not pointed out until I complained a second time about the housekeepers. They were not making beds, vacuuming, and missing other little details. By the end of the week I advised them to come at certain time frames and to ignore all closed doors and this seemed to help. The front desk was always friendly, and eager to help. They often helped hold doors open when my hands were full. The breakfast was adequate but they seemed to run out of things on the busy holiday weekend. Like some others pointed out the furniture appeared worn. If you are traveling with pets and need a place to stay with a family this would probably be a great choice. If you are traveling for business and want something more pristine this might not be the best available.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suite we stayed in was a bit crammed. If you wanted to fit pack n play cribs in the be...
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Our family of 5 stayed overnight en route to Maine and were terribly disappointed by the physical condition of the hotel. I have been a loyal Marriott client for years, but even I could not overlook the saggy, squeaky floors, the water damage around the bathroom, the lumpy, tired bed, the slow-filling toilet, and the room which lacked adequate towels and sheets. The very fact that Marriott allows such properties to remain in their portfolio had me in a Hilton property the very next night as I am now expanding my loyalty in search of better quality. On the plus side, the staff was very pleasant and helpful - but it's kind of like having a really taxi driver driving a jalopy.

Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We are a family of 5, including 3 kids (ages 8-almost 16). We stayed here for 1 night in June 2014. We had stayed at this same hotel for one night in July 2013.

This stay was much the same as last year (see my previous review.) Room was large and clean, breakfast selection was good. We did not try to use the pool. The sofa and chairs looked very worn (maybe pet damage?) and for a Townplace Suites, they seem out of place and need to be replaced.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!