“Great place to stay for a get-away” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Piscataway, New Jersey
“Great place to stay for a get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We traveled to VA for a birthday party the weekend after Thanksgiving. The hotel was modern and very clean, and to top it off, we were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite. The suite was nicely decorated and came with a fully equipped kitchen. There were flat screen TVs in both bedrooms and the living room, the bathroom was sparse but spacious. The carpet was so-so but the floors in the kitchen and bathroom area looked like newly laid laminate floors. I had mixed feelings at first. After I booked the room, I read the fine print about it being a pet-friendly hotel. I am not an animal lover and would never consider staying anywhere where people brought their pets but because of the great reviews, I sucked it up and gave this place a chance. Fortunately the few dogs we saw were well behaved and I only heard barking twice. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location was great. The hotel is located behind a set a strip malls so restaurants, a 24-hour grocery store, gas station, etc. were literally down the street (and you get 10% off meals at the restaurants excluding Starbucks and Sonic).
Cons: My only complaint is that the bed was hard and somewhat uncomfortable and I believe it was a full-sized mattress which can be a tight fit for two adults.
Even though this was a great place, I don't know if I would stay here again because of the pet factor but I will give this place five stars anyway because this would be great for families, those with pets, or those who don't mind them.

Room Tip: Good for families and people with pets.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Newark, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed at here this week for Thanksgiving. The hotel was clean but, as I was turning my sheets over to go to bed at 12am that night a large stink bug was greeting me! Needless to say, I was really upset. I immediately went down stairs to complain (with a photo on my phone of the bug on my pillow) and the lady told me that this is an issue not only at this hotel but, the area has had this problem with stink bugs.

Of course at this point I'm looking for bugs in the curtains and windows. This is when I found the living room window sill was disgusting. It was caked with dead bugs and other nastiness.

Long story short, the hotel manager gave us 5,000 points on our Marriott rewards. She also
had a maintenance guy come with a vacuum to seek and destroy and other bugs. The housekeeping also changed our sheets and cleaned the nasty window by hand. I found three stink bugs on our 3 night 2 day stay. The hotel was very accommodating and apologetic. However, I will not stay here again. I will go back to the George Washington, which is where we usually stay.

Pros about the hotel are the suites are set up nicely for families with the full kitchen. Free breakfast and Internet. Nice gym and the hotel is located in a shopping center that has a Dollar Tree, Starbucks, Sonic, a gas station, Wells Fargo bank, Martins supermarket and some restaurants. Lastly, it's a great hotel for dogs. My dog loved it!

The cons were the stink bugs, and the thin walls. Every time someone opens or closes a door you really hear it. Get a room on the top floor (4th floor). There was a family with kids above us and we heard them running around first thing in the morning and we could hear the family next to our room.

I'm glad to be back home to get a good nights sleep!

Room Tip: Book the 4th floor. Thin walls. You can hear everyone walking above you.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed in a mini-suite with a kitchenette, desk, couch, etc. Recently built with nice furnishings, bedding and fixtures. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We have never stayed in a TownePlace before, but usually stay in Marriott properties. This one did not disappoint, it was like a small Residence Inn with a fully equipped kitchenette. The room was very spacious, clean, convenient to the highway and wiht 3 restaurants within walkng distance. The restaurants were not the usual chains which made them unique and with your room key offered a 10% discount. One Japanese, Italian and a sportsbar. We ate at the sportsbar called "Fosters" which offered great food, large portions, casual atmosphere and great service. Definitely worth a try.

Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed here for business at Mt. Weather, which a lovely 25 min drive away. The staffer I dealt with most was Angela. She was friendly, efficient, knowledgable, and a joy to encounter.

I had a lovely two bedroom suite here. The room was nice, bed was comfy, and everything was clean. Only one beef -- the maids were not great (I also freely admit I'm a bit of a slob....but I don't get paid to keep the room neat). When I returned to my room each afternoon/evening, trash was not picked up, beds were made very poorly, and there was just a lack of care taken by housekeeping. Had I been staying any longer, I would have alerted the manager (who I also met, and who was also very friendly and helpful).

Overall, good property.

Room Tip: No complaints with rm 302.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Actually chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Room was very clean and comfortable; we liked having a room with a kitchenette. We stayed two nights in an efficiency suite. It was just the two of us and we had plenty of room to relax ... nice king size bed and quiet room. This hotel would be a good place for a family to stay as they also have one and two-bedroom suites available. Staff members were all very friendly and appreciative of your business. We were in town for a wedding but also took the time to visit the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. There are more historical sites nearby as well as wineries and DC only being about an hour drive. Thank you for a restful and peaceful two night stay!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

The hotel it's self is pretty good. Our room was clean and I like the fact that we had a suite. The bed was comfy enough. No complaints as far as accomedations go. FYI.. beware of the people working here. The "operations Manager" was a very unpleasant person.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Winchester? Share your experiences!