“Great English pub!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
“Great English pub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Perfect location within the pedestrian mall and always appears busy! We have tried many of their English items such as shepherd's pie, fish and chips, and some sort of special Guinness stew but the burgers are also a great choice. Also hard to beat the numerous options for great beers.

Visited June 2013

Winchester, Virginia
“Do not book for private party”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

DO NOT book a private party here. First of all, booking the room proved difficult since emails to the GM were claimed to never have been received and voicemails were not returned due to apparent service issues. Three weeks before our reservation we were notified that our 3rd floor reservation was double booked, and that they would waive the booking fee and part of the food as a courtesy. What we didn't realize was that our party of 35 would not fit on the 3rd floor (had to have guests sit on the 2nd level to fit) and that they weren't going to increase the service staff to handle two parties. So we were left with 2 servers to handle 60 people between the two parties. I initially requested to hold gratuity until the day of the event so I could see how managing two parties simultaneously would work out since I was originally concerned, but was told that this was not an option.

After continually running out of plates, silverware, waiting on drinks, etc. we spoke to the General Manager and Kitchen Manager who never once apologized and were on the defensive the entire time. For example, when complaining about our guests having to reuse plates at the buffet due to them running out of plates three times (which we had to request to replenish each time while the food got cold) it was said to us by the GM and Kitchen Manager that “reusing plates is common” and that they were short on plates since the event was during dinner time. The two servers were great and literally running around for all 60 people but even they mentioned numerous times "we wish there were more of us". Not only did the GM make zero effort to make her customers happy (besides giving an initial discount for double booking) they took no ownership for the poor experience and we were even charged a $30 fee to help us cut our cake!

We have been to the restaurant for dinner many times and always enjoyed the food and the service from the waiters/waitresses/bartenders, but I caution against booking a private party. Unfortunately myself and the 35 guests that attended have no plans to come back at any time.

Visited May 2013
UJPWinchesterVA, General Manager at Union Jack Pub & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Randy,
I have previously given up on responding to reviews, however in this case I feel I need to. We have had tons of private events over the last 4 ½ years and have lots of happy guests. We have rented the entire restaurant & pub out for a party and it was wonderful! There was a gentleman in the Pub that heard you speaking to me that night that and he joked that he remembered his party thinking he was going to run out of food but because we suggested he order more he had been fine and was thankful we told him.

First off let’s be honest. You booked a “Cocktail/Appetizer” party not a sit down plated dinner. Everything was off our appetizer menu. We do not provide dinner plates for appetizers. It was set up as a cocktail party and that means people mill about with smaller plates of appetizers and socialize over drinks. It was NOT a sit down dinner. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding of what a cocktail party is and that’s why the suggestion of more food was rejected. Your party came in and expected based on your lead that it was a full meal. There was another reservation of 15 people. That totals 50 not 60 people. The room holds 60 chairs so there was plenty of room. NO ONE was “forced” to sit on the second floor lounge. You were telling your guests you had rented it and they could use it, which was fine. For a cocktail party and a 15 top table the staff was sufficient if you had truly wanted a cocktail party.
We always make suggestions for the correct amount of food to feed people but if we are told “I want this menu”, then we follow the guest’s ideas and provide what they order.

We were in full dinner service for 100+ other people plus a pint night and rushed 2 more platters for you in the middle of dinner within 15 minutes. When the menu that was given to us was not enough, we fixed it immediately. I understand (and told you that evening) the frustration of not having food, but we provided what was ordered.

You had 3 phone numbers & 3 emails that you could use to contact the pub. All listed on business cards and the website. Yes there had been an issue with our web host but that did not block you from contacting us.

A cake fee is common in restaurants. Places can charge plating fees too. If you are not purchasing the food from the restaurant but still using their plates, silverware and staff for your food it is common to charge for that service. Our Kitchen Manager was not able to cut it for you because of a serious peanut allergy and you chose a peanut butter cake.

I was not happy that the sound system had not been adjusted for you and had that corrected immediately and spoke to the staff that they should have come to me right away so it was on for you at the beginning. I do apologize (and did) for that.

While your bride and you spoke to us, she stated the servers “suck” right in front of one of them and you stopped to tell her how wonderful she was and allegedly told them the rest of the night how good they were.

While I regret your evening was not what you expected, I truly think it’s unfair to slam a business for setting up exactly what you ordered but not what you meant to have. It seems like this was just an error in judgment and cutting corners in cost but it backfired. I did feel that when on our last call you said you wanted to waive the gratuity (which had been on your invoice for weeks and agreed upon) that it was setting it up for no matter what was done there would be an issue. I can say that I have never had a reservation request that ever.

I actually did think about your party for several days and thought to contact you that Monday but hoped you were enjoying a honeymoon and didn’t want to disturb you. Perhaps I should have just emailed you that week regardless. For not taking that step I apologize. I do firmly believe that this was not a Union Jack issue as much as a communication & planning issue from the client’s side.
Tampa, Florida
“Pub is in back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

You do have to go past the restaurant to the back where the pub is. It is not a big pub - but it makes up for it with good music - and a great beer selection. We had thought it would be mostly UK beers - and standard main label US ones - so were pretty surprised and happy to look at the beer handout and find they had s many types of beers there. Do take a read of the handout - the beers recommended each month - and the great readouts on those. We tried several based on the readouts from smaller breweries and did not have one disappointment from that batch!

Charlottesville, Virginia
“don"t bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ordinary at best. Waitress seemed to care less, have to ask for bread, The Traditional Shepherd's Pie portion wouldn't fill up a sparrow. I won't be going back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, VA
“Okay Fish and Chips”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Maybe it was the oil used to cook the fish and chips, maybe it was the crunchy batter...no comparison to the real fish and chips I've had in England and Ireland. Service is very good but doesn't make the food better unfortunately.