“a non-traditional hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 27 hotels in Winchester
New York City, New York
“a non-traditional hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

After staying in several traditional hotels during the past week, Aloft was a break from the conventional room. The hotel/room reminds me of a cross between the Hard Rock and the W Hotel chains (actually, Aloft is in the W family). It's sleek and interesting. Trendy. The lobby is a large open space with an open front desk area, a bar, and pool table. The hotel is more suited for couples v. families. There is a very good small gym and a nice indoor pool.

The rooms are a good size and follow in the sleek/modern look. The hotel leaves a couple of bottles of gratis water in the room, which is a nice touch. The beds and linens are very comfortable. The rooms don't have a great deal of light (e.g., for reading), but are fine for everyday use.

We stayed only one night, but it was very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Prior to this weekend I had never heard of the ALoft brand by Sheraton / W. We only stumbled on it because we needed a hotel in Winchester VA that took pets. Normally I avoid hotels that take pets because they tend to be hotels that are past their prime. We were in a pinch though for dog care so we took a chance and I'm very, very glad we did.

This is an extraordinary hotel. Exceedingly well designed with European style lines and new approaches at every turn for taking care of guests. The room had a wonderfully modern bathroom with a gargantuan slider door that separates the shower and toilet from the sink area. Looking for the closet? The closet has been reinvented...words are hard to explain but the approach is brilliant for hotel use. Beds...great. Exercise room and pool looked fantastic. Mr. Clean would be proud. Exceedingly friendly staff that put up with way too much noise from dog...kids...etc.

A review though must be balanced. The couple we stayed with heard elevator music throughout the night. Also, the water pressure was a bit low (I expect this is out of environmental concerns). I should be okay with a green shower but I'd rather indulge on vacation.

All in all, a splendid experience.

Well done Starwood!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here a few times. Not only are they pet freindly, but the place is neat and clean. The front desk is very accomodating too. I'd stay here any time I'm in the area. I've stayed in Aloft hotels in other places and I really like the modern sleek style of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
WA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A first time stay at an Aloft. The initial experience was positive. Clean, firm, new beds, excellent storage space for luggage. Excellent lighting over vanity area and it is separate from shower area which made 2 people getting ready in AM easy. Negatives - Only one chair in room that sleeps 4, only 1 pouch of coffee ( single cup maker), printer attached to computer had no ink for 36 hours despite requests for refill. Continental Breakfast was not free and despite the fact we paid for a "rate including breakfast" nothing was available before 6.30 on week days and 7 on weekends. On Saturday by 7.15 still nothing available - not even cereal.
On Friday night extreemly loud music until well after midnight - thank goodness we were on 6th floor. Safe not working and never repaired during 4 night stay. A request for tissues could not be fulfilled at 5pm on Saturday as room attendants had gone home and sole front desk person could leave desk for over an hour

• Stayed September 2012
Knightdale, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel was really nice. The rooms were very contemporary. The beds were however like sleeping on a futon and not very comfortable. I stayed here two night with my husband and 3 children, and I must say the window in the shower that can be seen in the bedroom is not ideal with children. If I was just traveling with my husband I would have given a higher rating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've always liked aloft hotels, and this was was no exception. It was fairly new, and it was absolutely spotless inside. We only stayed for a single night as part of a drive through Virginia, but would definitely stay again if I was back in that area. The staff was friendly and attentive, rooms were clean, comfortable, price was fair. Just a pleasant experience on par with what I've grown to expect from aloft. We were also given a 20% off coupon at checkout for a future stay.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the front of the hotel/main road. There was some road noise. Not enough to warra...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a single night for a night out on our anniversary. We had stayed here once before after the storms that swept through Virginia left us without power. During that stay of 2 nights we had absolutely no problems.

This time, however, after a smooth check-in, we arrived to our room only to find that the sheets hadn't been changed after the previous guest although the bed had been made. In addition, there were handprints on the shower glass and an empty wine bottle under the sitting bench under the television.

We called the front desk about the dirty sheets and the front desk employee brought clean sheets promptly although with no apology.

I'd stay here again since we've now had both a great and less than great experience. Third time will tell. Other than the room, the staff is pleasant, smiling and quite helpful.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to aloft Winchester? Share your experiences!