“Authentic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nancy Shepherd House Inn - Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Nancy Shepherd House Inn - Bed & Breakfast
618 South Loudoun Street, Winchester, VA 22601   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Winchester B&B and Inns
Cape May Court House, New Jersey, United States
“Authentic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

If I could give this Inn more "stars," I would. Upon entering the Inn, one steps back into a slower, simpler time. But don't let the historic decor and period artifacts fool you. The Inn features all of the modern amenities, including a beautiful upstairs bath (we stayed on the 2nd floor) and free Wi-Fi. David often hosts old-time music jams downstairs that feature some of the most talented musicians in the area! But not to worry; David is very cognizant of his guests' need for rest and quiet, and doesn't allow the jams to run too late. The Inn is the perfect place for a romantic get-away or simply as a quiet stop on your trip north or south.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Lots of rave comments here I concur with and won't reprise at length.
We stayed three nights in the 2d floor front room. Very comfortable bed and VERY quiet even though it fronted the street.
Even though David has added wifi I didn't use it and didn't miss the internet; too much good music, conversation and stories happening.
Breakfast was great. I've lived in the south for 20+ years and still don't understand grits but David's rendition got me closer :-)
I happened into one of David's kitchen (really) bluegrass jams. I nearly blew out my knee bobbing my foot to the music and it took a couple of days to unfreeze the grin from my face.
David has done a very good job with the restoration/preservation. David's photo-documentation of the project was interesting.
Some thoughts:
The second floor bath was great although, being somewhat unsteady on my feet, the grab-bar assisted step up into/down from the shower was still a bit daunting.
Night stairwell lighting could be bumped up a few lumens.
The collection of artifacts in the kitchen is very interesting but other decor might be dialed-back a bit and still retain the ambiance.
Coffe, tea, cocoa availability would have been nice in the evening.
None of the foregoing would deter me from a return stay, however.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just returned from a girl's weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Nancy Shepherd House. Our host David was very welcoming and the beds had the most comfortable mattresses I've slept on in a long while! The location can't be beat -- just a short walk to old town where there are great restaurants and shops. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

As B&B owners for more than 25 years, we were impressed by David's restoration of his
colonial home. We know that hospitality and comfort in the rooms are are both quite important.
David was an excellent host and we were quite pleased with our accommodations, which
ecompassed the entire top floor.

Of all the historic VA towns we visited on our recent vacation, Winchester was our favorite.
We really enjoyed the Old Town Walking Mall, which had restaurants that were as good
as we experienced in DC the week prior (David gave us some great reviews of them).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dingle, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great little historic row house inn bursting with antiques and personality just a short walk from Winchester's historic pedestrian area. David is a gracious host, I felt immediately at ease here. He is also a great musician and if you are lucky you will catch a bluegrass jam at the inn.
No better base for exploring Winchester!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Helmond, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This B&B was by far the best place we've stayed in during this summer's US trip. We've travelled a lot in the US, specially these last few years, when we spent most of our time in Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina & Georgia. We've stayed at many beautiful places but the beds always seem to be of a lower quality than what we expect.

At the Nancy Shepherd House Inn the owner David McLaughlin makes sure that EVERYTHING is to 100% satisfactory. We've had a very warm welcome in a beautiful 250 year old house, we slept likes babies on his memory foam mattrasses, everything was clean, shower was great and so was the food and the drinks. In fact, David made us feel like we've been friends for a long time. He also provided us with all the information we needed on the Winchester and Shenandoah area so yes, this was a perfect stop.

The Inn is also well located, in walking distance to fine restaurants and shops.
PS Winchester is nice too ;-)

Room Tip: All 3 rooms are similar and great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I chose the Nancy Shepherd House Inn after seeing it was so highly rated on TripAdvisor. It's a very laid-back and charming place. Owing to some good timing on our part, we were the only guests the one night we stayed, and it was so quiet and relaxing... We stayed in the room at the top of the inn - really, it's an entire floor - with its own bathroom. The only word of caution (and we were properly alerted by the innkeeper): watch your head! The ceiling is at a low angle at certain parts of the upstairs, and I clumsily I bumped my head several times. This is an issue only in the corners of the rooms where the roof (?) slopes in on either side - not in the main areas where one would be walking around. I'm tall and had no problems unless I lurched unthinkingly into a corner to grab something out of the suitcase, for example.
The weather was perfect for a walk to the pedestrian mall, which we did for dinner. Breakfast was as advertised by other reviewers: delicious! Pecan waffles, real maple syrup, bacon, coffee, OJ....we didn't eat lunch until 4pm. Our host was very friendly and, because my husband is a musician and was asking lots of questions about the musical instruments in the inn, shared some of his original music with us. It was a real treat!
The inn was clean and cozy. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nancy Shepherd House Inn - Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!