“One of the best pizzas in town - good food all around.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Cross Junction, Virginia
“One of the best pizzas in town - good food all around.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Go for the pizza - since what makes for a good or even great pizza is highly debatable and often a personal choice, I won't claim it is the best in Winchester, but it is very good, with a crisp crust that yields to become chewy, a good sauce with it's own flavor and well blended toppings. The atmosphere is a bit odd, as many have noted, with the indoor outdoor seating in the mall entrance way, and wines are average for a pizza place, but we have not had a bad meal. The pasta we have had ranges from good to very good, with good salads and antipasto.

Take time to drop in at Gabriel Brothers at the other end of the strip (the inside of the small mall is a second-run movie theater and gym) and rummage through the seconds and overruns of clothing and shoes to find a $50 gem selling for $5-10.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Herndon, Virginia, United States
“The best Italian Restaurant in the state of Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I visit as often as I can driving 50 miles one way just for the food and hspitallity. I have tried just about everything and have never had a bad meal or service. My favorites are the chicken picada, pizza, shrimp, mussels. and their sandwiches are to die for the steak and cheese is outstanding.
The owner is from italy and that is why it is the very best and a must try. The wine selection is great and if you ever get a chance to buy a ticket when they have a wine tasting you will be glad you did.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
winchester, VA
“Excellent food and service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I'll have to say that the first time I dined at Umberto's I was a little worried about the ambiance since their outside tables are in the hallway of an old shopping mall and movie theater. Well, don't give it a thought! What the establishment lacks in atmosphere is far exceeded by their food! I have never had a bad meal here! Food is fresh and authentic Italian. I love love love the vegetarian lasagna! The side salad is quite large and fresh. Always a delight to dine at Umbertos!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stephens City, Virginia
“i love pasta & pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I love Italian food, and Umberto's is the best that I have found in the area. I've been there about 5 times, and each time, I've left thinking that it was just as good as I had remembered. I haven't tasted anything that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. I would definitely recommend the Linguini with Carbonara Sauce from the Pasta a la Carte menu--it's excellent!!! The wait staff is extremely courteous, and the service is quite prompt. This is not only my favorite Italian restaurant in the area, it's my favorite restaurant, period. If you enjoy Italian food, this is the place for you. Hope you enjoy!!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morfelden-Walldorf, Germany
“Not so good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Several people tauted this as being really good, that was not my experience. I had a grilled chicken salad and it wasn't very good. I also asked for pissza bread and was served a hoagie with sauce. It was awful. Wouldn't eat there again.

• Visited May 2012