“Had Low Expectations, Was VERY Surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 231 Restaurants in Winchester
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Nashville, Tennessee
“Had Low Expectations, Was VERY Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I fully expected this place to be a dump. The outside isn't great and it is in Winchester, VA, in an area of crappy restaurants and cheap hotels. There weren't many options, though, and I had already eaten at Los Toltecos twice in a row.

However, after deciding to walk here from the Holiday Inn (5 minutes), I was immediately surprised upon entering. The bar was bustling with people and the restaurant area was clean and welcoming.

We were seated immediately and presented with a menu that had sushi, Japanese dishes, Chinese dishes and Thai options. As a rule, I avoid Asian places that try to do more than one nationality's cuisine - it's usually crap. My friends got sushi, I got the Thai red curry chicken and an order of steamed dumplings.

The dumplings were served before the meal and were hot and fresh. My red curry came in a ceramic pot and was huge. It was full of chicken, Thai eggplant, basil and all the other wonderful things that make up red curry. I'm a big eater and I was stuffed. I definitely did not need the appetizer.

My friends enjoyed their sushi and said that it wasn't the best that they had ever had but that it was very good.

The meal was less than $20/each. I would go back there if I am ever in Winchester again.

Visited October 2013

“Absolutely the best Chinese food anywhere near Rappahannock County!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We've been coming here for about a year. We travel an hour to eat here because it is absolutely the best Chinese food within an hours drive. They are renovating beginning Tuesday for 7 days. I can't wait to return when they reopen!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Will not return.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Service was slow. A good bit of the food had been sitting in the buffet pans and were dried put. Overall, the food lacked taste. One of the waitresses stood at a booth and talking for about five minutes while I waited for my check. Another waitress finally brought my check. However, I stood there another four minutes waiting to pay as the first waitress continued to talk. They do offer orders from a menu. Perhaps that would be a wiser choice. On the upside, the place is clean and the decor was pleasant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Virginia
“Good Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were traveling though the area and wanted to eat Chinese, so checked ratings online and picked Chinatown. It was a good choice. The food was above average, though not the best Chinese I have had, and the service was very good as well. My wife does not normally like Sushi but she liked theirs. Their egg rolls were also very good. It was close to route 81 as well so we could get back onto the Interstate quickly.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virgina
“Busy place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We did a carry out. Food was ok. Would have been nice to have a spoon included to eat my soup. I'm guessing that eating there is a better experience.

Visited May 2013