“average and good for a one night stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Winchester, VA

You added Red Roof Inn Winchester, VA to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Winchester, VA
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   991 Millwood Pike, I-81 at Millwood Pike, exit #313/313-A, Winchester, VA 22602   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Winchester
Montreal, Canada
“average and good for a one night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

The red roof inn is okay for a one night stay. We had to change rooms as the first one was filthy dirty and I was not impressed, but we were given a cleaner room after I went to the office. I got the impression that the person there thought I was complaining for nothing but anyway he still changed the room for us. They need to get better housekeeping staff. Also a couple of smiles wouldnt hurt, they need to work on their friendliness.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, VA, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Winchester Red Roof.

Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Judy Thompson
Red Roof Inn - Winchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I arrived after 10PM and the parking was so dark it was a little scary since I was alone. Anyway, I had a reservation and it was late and I was tired from a long drive so went to check in. The man at the desk was very nice and told me about the breakfast the next morning. I headed down to my room and it was right next to the last metal staircase. It was even darker there, which made me even more nervous. I should have gone back to the office and asked for another room, but again, I was very tired and thought I'd just hurry in.

The room itself was very dark and dated and it just felt like it may not be very clean. At first I couldn't find anything to confirm that. The three pillows on the king bed were only about an inch thick, if that. Really, they were that thin and blanket is too! The heat warms up quickly, There were other hotels up the street and I really just wanted to check out, but figured it was just one night.

The water in the bathroom sink was ice cold, no matter how long I let it run. I hoped that would not be the case in the morning for the shower, but for the most part it was. The water in the shower barely got lukewarm and once I turned the shower head on it would go cold. When I shut the shower head off it would get a little lukewarm again. That became the drill for the duration of my shower, on and off with the shower head to get just lukewarm water. Needless to say, it was very frustrating and not the way one wants to start their morning!

The walls are very thin and I wouldn't recommend a room near the metal staircases as it's quite loud when people walk up and down them.

In the morning I noticed the coffee maker by the bathroom sink was very, very dirty. It looked like it hadn't been washed in who knows how long and had something stuck on the base that looked like pancake batter. I also saw bits of plaster and plastic on the floor by the ironing board that hung on the wall that looked like the vac had crashed into it and knocked the debris off.

In the morning I went down for the breakfast and the room it's in had a very offensive odor. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it was very unappetizing. When I saw that one toaster appeared to be broke and another wouldn't stay down while someone tried to get their bread to go down I said forget it and left. I knew I could do better with the dollar menu at McDonald's!

When I checked out I told the desk clerk about the cold water issue and she was very apologetic, but offered no discount for something so important to a hotel stay. I also told her about the coffeemaker too. She said she'd tell management about both issues.

I have to say I was quite surprised by the experience I had at this location given the reviews here, which are usually right on. I know I will not stay here again, and in fact need an overnight on the way home but have choose another hotel chain for just a little bit more money that got excellent reviews on TA.

Room Tip: The metal staircases are very loud when being used so ask for a room no where near them.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Valencia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012 via mobile

I'm not a big fan of motels, but sometimes one just needs a place to sleep. This motel is good for that. My complaint is not the motels fault. It is my fault for staying at a motel. The person next to my room was very loud! Not only in his room but on the sidewalk outside. His went on till about midnight. I was going to change my room but it was too late. He problem with motels is that you have to deal with people on the sidewalk outside your room . I did'nt stop for breakfast but went to the near by Golden Coral.

• Stayed January 2012
Cleveland, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way back down from our trip. It had some modern updates the bathroom area. The beds were not comfortable and the covers were a little too thin for my liking. The room was average and had another set of doors to adorn to the other room if you needed that. Tv channels were only 15-20 channels. The room also had a desk area and outlets at desk level. Nothing fancy here, pretty average. No interior hallways at this hotel as well. Room noise was not even noticable. AC unit was not annoying as most tend to make loud noises when switching. I was able to fit my pack and play in the room and had it towards the end of the bed.
Breakfast was very minimal, coffee, juice, milk, bagels, mini muffins, waffles, cereal (2 kinds) and oatmeal. They only had a 4 slice toaster for use. I didn't like the fact the person before me was hogging it for at least 10 mins for 4 slices of whatever it was she got. Seating area is very small. You had to take a chair from another table if you had more than 2 travelling with you. Most seated 2 so we had our kids sit and we stood and our little one was in a high chair that was provided there. Person running the front desk had to also maintain the breakfast area. I give props to her because she was on her A-game all the way until breakfast was said to be over which was 6-9am.
Check in was easy and employees were nice and pleasant. Overall, not bad for the price and room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

A little nervous about staying here - but rate was half that of nearby Aloft so we decided to give it a try. Room was clean and adequate. Double beds not great but ok for a quick night on our way through town on way back to New England.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thanks very much for letting us know regarding your stay via Trip Advisor. We appreciate you chosing Red Roof Inn for your lodging needs and look forward to serve you in future travel.

Judy thompson.
Red Roof Inn.
MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have recently made reservations for our company which has traveled to Virginia before for our construction jobs. I made the reservations for our rooms from the ratings on TA. I never realized they did not come and do the rooms except every three days. When the employees (both men and women) arrived back to their room after a full day on the job, the rooms were not done, and there were no clean towels. I can see not vacumning, and dusting each day, but really, no clean towels, no straightening the covers, or cleaning the bathroom?? The rates were cheap enough, but IF they told me they don't do the rooms I would have gone elsewhere and paid a little more. They didn't complain too much, but since I pay the bills I feel the rooms should have been discounted even more sinceI wasn't told about their housekeeping.

Room Tip: Inform customers of your housekeeping or lack of before taking their reservations. Our employees ar...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I give a lot of credit to the people who run Red Roof Inns. I've had better service in these inexpensive motels than in high end hotels. Red Roof offers a nice welcome and a clean room for less money. Winchester is no different. Free WiFi trumps less than luxurious towels AND they are pet friendly. If you don't like to spend a bundle just to bed down for a night or more, then Red Roof is a great choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Red Roof Inn Winchester, VA? Share your experiences!